SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 02:19 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hello Jerry B.,

How, where and how much did you get your 1/4 panel mod? This is the mod where you are able to raise the 1/4 panel window up with the top down right?

Thanks.
Hi Mandy,

Do a Search for '1/4 window mod' and, hopefully, you will find it.

I thought the 1/4 mod was a sticky ( IMO it should be ) but it is not.

I also had a lot of help from a guy who posts here named "Tommy' & one other fellow ( I do not remember his name ); they both are in SoCal.

In the thread there is a link for the relays but I found that the link is dead, I contacted Tommy & he provided a new link which is where I bought the relay.

Since the work involves the computer in the car, I had the work done by my local independent shop; they have a young guy there who, once he read the instructions, knew exactly what to do. I just did not want to touch a wrong wire and cook the computer.

Can anyone else provide Mandy with some info on this mod?

Hope that this helps,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-22-11, 12:10 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered mine today also. luxlink remote start, with rear window.
Old 03-22-11, 04:37 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hello Jerry B.,

How, where and how much did you get your 1/4 panel mod? This is the mod where you are able to raise the 1/4 panel window up with the top down right?

Thanks.
Hi Mandy ( 2nd reply ),

I talked with Steve yesterday about the LuxLink and the units now only come one way, with the '1/4 window option.'

So if your were to get one of the 'upcoming' LuxLinks, it would have this in/on it.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-22-11, 04:47 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Mandy ( 2nd reply ),

I talked with Steve yesterday about the LuxLink and the units now only come one way, with the '1/4 window option.'

So if your were to get one of the 'upcoming' LuxLinks, it would have this in/on it.

Jerry Baumchen
I believe that all of the new lux links ARE PROGRAMED FOR THE 1/4 REAR WINDOW MOD THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY COME WITH THE NEEDED MODULE, I believe you still have to buy the additional 1/4 window module. The module is not made by Steve how ever you still need it. Mine was gotten from steve and I installed it when I installled teh luxlink. It was an after market module that had its own instructions on how to install it. I would suggest you clarify this with Steve
Old 03-22-11, 05:10 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mrblister is right-well said! Rear quarter mod is additional $$$ and can be added later (which is what I did). For the money, I would do them at the same time.

John
Old 03-23-11, 01:20 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I believe that all of the new lux links ARE PROGRAMED FOR THE 1/4 REAR WINDOW MOD THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY COME WITH THE NEEDED MODULE, I believe you still have to buy the additional 1/4 window module. The module is not made by Steve how ever you still need it. Mine was gotten from steve and I installed it when I installled teh luxlink. It was an after market module that had its own instructions on how to install it. I would suggest you clarify this with Steve
Hi blister,

I was only passing on what Steve said to me based upon my inquiry & the fact that I already have the 1/4 window mod.

He did not mention anything about needing to buy some additional module/device/whatever.

I may be talking to him again in a week or so, if I don't forget ( ) I'll see if I can clarify this issue.

For me, it is a no-brainer as I have the 1/4 window mod; for some others, it may mean more $$$$.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) John (solman ), about how much extra did it cost you; people might like to know this.
Old 03-23-11, 01:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Mandy ( 2nd reply ),

Jerry Baumchen
Thanks Jerry B. I have all that I need to know.
Old 03-23-11, 06:46 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Thanks Jerry B. I have all that I need to know.
Hi Mandy,

Re: I have all that I need to know.

Well, maybe not 'everything;' here is a PM that I received & my response:

Hi Jerry

The 1/4 window mod you have I think I remember you saying it was installed by a audio place and that the young man who did it you had given him instructions of one of CL members relay schematic. How do you activate your rear windows ? Do you have a separate switch that you use.

I have the luxlink with 1/4 window mod. The 1/4 window mod that steve sells is a universal module that he has used and triggers it with the drivers side window down button. When the luxlink unit itself was originally sold and if you wanted the 1/4 window mod steve had to program the luxlink unit itself. In the latter units of the last generation of luxlinks he sold they came allready programed for the window mod and if you wanted to buy the 1/4 window module latter you were good to go as far as havng the luxlink allready programed for the acceptance of the module.

When you talk to steve ask him what the price of the luxlink unit is with the 1/4 window module. I had originally paid $ 350.00 for remote start and remote top and then $ 150.00 for the 1/4 window module so my total cost was $ 500.00. If he is selling the new luxlink unit for $ 350,00 with the module included that is really a bargain. The 1/4 window module he sold me is not a unit made by steve but it is a generic device that is used by car alarm installers for the purpose of when installing a aftermarket alarm in a car this module device can be used to close all the windows as well as open all of the windows via the remote control of the alarm fob. So you wpould be able to automatically put up the windows or put down the windows at the same time as you would be activating or de-activating the alarm.

I so love my Luxlink that I am ordering one as a spare in case the one I have fails for any reason. I will not need to buy the I believe 1/4 window module since I allready have one and . In the unllikely event my module were to go bad since its a generic I should be able to replace it at any time since its not a device that steve makes.

Regards

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

Ok, here goes:

Re: The 1/4 window mod you have I think I remember you saying it was installed by a audio place and that the young man who did it you had given him instructions of one of CL members relay schematic.

It was done by a young mechanic at my independent auto repair shop.

Re: How do you activate your rear windows ? Do you have a separate switch that you use.

Yes, I have a switch that is mounted on the top of the little coin holder on the center console. It is a dead man type of switch; I have to hold it down ( or up ) until the windows complete their movement. It controls both 1/4 windows; I cannot control just the left or right 1/4 window individually.

Re: When you talk to steve ask him what the price of the luxlink unit is with the 1/4 window module.

I will try to remember; but here is his number so you could call yourself & talk to him: 626-256-4849

I hope that this helps,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-26-11, 09:35 AM
scratchwin
Driver School Candidate

I added the Lux Link roof opener last year but cannot get the rear quarter windows to go down. How did you do that?
Oops! Just read that you have to press the driverīs window button 3 times to lower rear quarter lights. Will try it later tonight

Last edited by scratchwin; 03-26-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-26-11, 09:49 AM
scratchwin
Driver School Candidate

I added the Lux Link and have some tips: do not solder: you cannot get in there with the soldering iron and solder drops down, not upwards. Instead, use those little clips which strip and connect when you squeeze them over the existing loom. Easy as pie and quick and cheap. Donīt bother adding the remote engine start as it wastes fuel. Takes a saturday afternoon to fit it all.
Old 03-26-11, 10:19 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO the rear quarter sounded like too much hassle/glitch or procedure plus the extra money and install, I just bought two basic units. One more thing that could possibly go bad in the future. Good luck to all of you brave souls who are doing the 1/4 windows! I hope that it works out great and you love it. I couldn't justify personally.
Old 03-26-11, 11:17 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
IMO the rear quarter sounded like too much hassle/glitch or procedure plus the extra money and install, I just bought two basic units. One more thing that could possibly go bad in the future. Good luck to all of you brave souls who are doing the 1/4 windows! I hope that it works out great and you love it. I couldn't justify personally.
Hey Derek, we ever get a price from Sewell Lexus in Dallas for the install on the Luxlink or rear quarter mod?
Old 03-26-11, 11:23 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scratchwin
I added the Lux Link roof opener last year but cannot get the rear quarter windows to go down. How did you do that?
Oops! Just read that you have to press the driverīs window button 3 times to lower rear quarter lights. Will try it later tonight
THE 1/4 WINDOW MOD REQUIRES A SEPEARAT MODULE THAT HAS TO BE INSTALLED . The luxlink by it self will not work the windows unless you have installed the module. Where did you get the luxlink you installed . Steve has not been selling these units for at least last two years . Did you install it your self ? You can PM me if you need more explanation as how to install teh 1/4 window module .
Old 03-26-11, 05:11 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scratchwin
Donīt bother adding the remote engine start as it wastes fuel.
I highly recommend the remote engine start for the following reasons:
1. Much better than running the battery down
2. Allows you to lower the roof before you get near the car without wearing down the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.
3. Allows you to do the "double touch" of the roof close (button) so the roof closes while you are walking away, then the engine shuts off and again saving the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.

I seldom use the luxlink without the engine start, even though I have that option.

For the above reasons, I strongly suggest you use the remote start.

John
Old 03-26-11, 06:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solman
I highly recommend the remote engine start for the following reasons:
1. Much better than running the battery down
2. Allows you to lower the roof before you get near the car without wearing down the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.
3. Allows you to do the "double touch" of the roof close (button) so the roof closes while you are walking away, then the engine shuts off and again saving the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.

I seldom use the luxlink without the engine start, even though I have that option.

For the above reasons, I strongly suggest you use the remote start.

John

I agree with Solman The owners manual suggests that you operate the top when the engine is running because of the significant draw of the top motors when running.

Quick Reply: I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?