SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

NavTool/Backup camera - Install - Pls Contribute

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 10:56 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NavTool/Backup camera - Install - Pls Contribute

I have my Navtool and the camera in hand and I am ready to do the install tomorrow, but I need a little help. Aside from some pretty basic stuff on my old cars, I have not done much with wiring, and I would consider myself more than a novice. So I have searched the forum and gathered some info from PearlPower and VVIiBob among others. I hope that this will be as easy for a beginner and as "plug and play" as it is advertised but I am not going to fool myself into thinking that I won't have issues, especially since this is my first mod on the SC and well, I don't want to break stuff .

I am installing just a backup camera for now. No DVD or other video input so I won't be dealing with or using the cut rate toggle switch.

I still have a few questions:

- Does anyone have the pictures or PDF instructions from PearlPowers original thread?
- Are there any tools or extra supplies that I should have before I start? (soldering iron? Extra wiring?)

As a huge thank you for any help, past and present that I have received from this forum (and assuming my insall goes well) I will work up step by step "Backup/Navtool for dummies" install instructions with pictures so more people can DIY. We will know once and for all how simple it is to install the Navtool .
Old 03-11-11, 11:45 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol i am trying to do the exact same thing but after reading several post i think I understand. I will take new pictures tomorrow when I installed it so we can have new pictures updated.
Old 03-11-11, 12:22 PM
Sapherynth
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Lol i am trying to do the exact same thing but after reading several post i think I understand. I will take new pictures tomorrow when I installed it so we can have new pictures updated.
Awesomness! It is good to know I will have "company" with the install We can compare notes after.
Old 03-11-11, 02:01 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck to both of you!!!! Please take lots of pictures. Too bad Virginia and Texas are so far apart. Maybe if things get hairy you could skype or something to each other, so it would be like you were working side by side. Something to think about.
Old 03-11-11, 03:20 PM
westxype
Rookie

^Facetime. I want to do this mod real soon too. Keep us posted.
Old 03-11-11, 03:35 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by westxype
^Facetime. I want to do this mod real soon too. Keep us posted.
dude great idea.. i have facetime! lol
Old 03-12-11, 06:24 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

i been trying all day.. not workin... so frustrated
Old 03-12-11, 06:34 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Saph.. how did your install go?
Old 03-13-11, 03:24 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe someone can tell me if I installed it wrong. I plugged in the plug and play harness of course.

I then tapped the navtool 12v power to the Gray accessory wire on the 18 pin plug on the back of the nav unit. I then tapped the ground in to the white with black stripe on 18 pin plug. I also tapped the 12v for the camera and ground to this as well.

I then tapped the Blue camera wire from navtool in to the yellow with red stripe on back on the 18pin plug of navunit.

I took the two white and green handbrake wire and grounded them all to a bolt.

RCA is plugged in to input 2.

Nav seems to come up fine but camera doesnt turn on when I go in reverse. I even tried plugging the RCA in to input 1, flipped the toggle an it changes to a blank black screen.

I know I'm getting power to navtool because the red light is on.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong??
Old 03-13-11, 06:05 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

I had a bunch of stuff get in the way yesterday so I had to move my me+car time to today. I will check in along the way and let you know if I have the same issue or if I find anything.
Old 03-13-11, 08:08 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Do you have a Volt/ohm meter for testing? Have you been able to test the camera to see if works properly with an independent 12v source and monitor? If not, do that first, then you should power up the camera to the back up lights, so when put the car into reverse, the camera is powered up. I've added a PDF with the wire paths.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ElecPath.pdf (191.0 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-13-11 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added PDF and question
Old 03-13-11, 08:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

VIPNiSS, did you take pics? Hope you did. Still not working? Are we doing the LED tail upgrade together?
Old 03-13-11, 08:52 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe someone can tell me if I installed it wrong. I plugged in the plug and play harness of course.

I then tapped the navtool 12v power to the Gray accessory wire on the 18 pin plug on the back of the nav unit. I then tapped the ground in to the white with black stripe on 18 pin plug. I also tapped the 12v for the camera and ground to this as well.

I then tapped the Blue camera wire from navtool in to the yellow with red stripe on back on the 18pin plug of navunit.

I took the two white and green handbrake wire and grounded them all to a bolt.

RCA is plugged in to input 2.

Nav seems to come up fine but camera doesnt turn on when I go in reverse. I even tried plugging the RCA in to input 1, flipped the toggle an it changes to a blank black screen.

I know I'm getting power to navtool because the red light is on.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong??
Did you confirm your selection of the reverse wire with a volt meter? Is the nav screen going black when you are in reverse or does it continue to display the nav info? If the nav continues to display then you've likely tapped the wrong wire for reverse. Did you solder your connections? I don't like those quick taps as they may not pierce the insulation adequately if at all. I strip insulation back without cutting the conductor and then solder the additional wire to the exposed wire followed with some electrical tape.

Oh, be sure that all the Navtool and Nav computer connectors are fully clicked into their sockets.
Old 03-13-11, 08:53 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

It continues to display the nav screen. I used the quick taps because I am not good with soldering not to mention in such a tight place.

I did make sure all the connections are snapped in.. im going to take another stab at everything again and look it over now.
Old 03-13-11, 09:02 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds like you've got it all right - but the quick taps. They sometimes fail immediately but they also fail later on. It's such a pain to get to the nav computer I'd recommend not using the quick taps. It may be that the gauge of the reverse wire is too small for the quick tap to work at all. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix for you.

Quick Reply: NavTool/Backup camera - Install - Pls Contribute