SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

6x9 DIY speaker repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 01:54 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6x9 DIY speaker repair

thanks to Mandyfig and Gzone for posting up guides on this. I took the plunge today and the door panel took me about 5 minutes to semi take off and I had my girlfriend Kristi(who is also on the board) hold the panel while I unscrewed the speakers.

My 6x9 was rattling big time and you will see the reason why below. It was torn all the way around the speaker cone.

Our little friend that fixes this!

Not the best looking thing but its behind the door.. who cares... $7 well spent to fix a $250 speaker atleast..
Old 03-08-11, 08:16 PM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
thanks to Mandyfig and Gzone for posting up guides on this. I took the plunge today and the door panel took me about 5 minutes to semi take off and I had my girlfriend Kristi(who is also on the board) hold the panel while I unscrewed the speakers.

My 6x9 was rattling big time and you will see the reason why below. It was torn all the way around the speaker cone.

Our little friend that fixes this!

Not the best looking thing but its behind the door.. who cares... $7 well spent to fix a $250 speaker atleast..
Nice! As you said who cares what it looks like since it's behind the panel and as long as it is sounding better! Great job. Nothing like saving 250 for an hour's worth of work!
Old 03-09-11, 05:42 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darnot10
Nice! As you said who cares what it looks like since it's behind the panel and as long as it is sounding better! Great job. Nothing like saving 250 for an hour's worth of work!
So, the question begs to be asked...HOW DOES IT SOUND???
Old 03-09-11, 06:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

My testimony...works the same! At least on my mid-range.
Old 03-09-11, 12:43 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

i havent installed it yet.. stupid rain hasnt let up yet!
Old 03-09-11, 03:17 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

so i just reinstalled the passenger side and it sounds great!! but then i heard rattle from the driver side.. i went ahead and took that one out as well and look at what i find.. i dont think i can repair this one with silicone...

Old 03-09-11, 03:45 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

For anyone interested I just bought the new foam from Simply Speakers and used coupon code SS10 for 10% discount.. FREE SHIPPING.. cost me $24.75 for two foam to fix both of my 6x9..
Old 03-09-11, 03:47 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ahh. buy my DC gold speakers
Old 03-09-11, 03:51 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
ahh. buy my DC gold speakers
hehe! -_- lets see how this turns out!
Old 03-16-11, 03:32 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
For anyone interested I just bought the new foam from Simply Speakers and used coupon code SS10 for 10% discount.. FREE SHIPPING.. cost me $24.75 for two foam to fix both of my 6x9..
Thanks for the coupon code! I purchased the foam kit last week and fixed both of my 6x9's this past weekend and reinstalled them. The foam surrounds on my 6x9's were completely disintegrated and the kit worked perfectly.
Old 03-16-11, 06:03 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Im not sure if anyone put this into consideration but I think silicone is the best thing to use because you can make a very fine thin layer to fix them. Which is a good thing becaause i noticed you guys arent repairing the ENTIRE foam surrounding.. In time don't you think the foam that you did not apply any silicone/gasket sealant or whatever you used will start to deteriorate as well? I have a picture i took on my phone but im too lazy to upload

For example vipness unrepairable speaker.. Everyones repairing the outside of the foam.. But not applying anything to the inner part of the foam which will eventually deteriorate as well.

Last edited by Pnuge88; 03-16-11 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 06:52 AM
mandyfig

Got a point, have to re-visit all speakers again. Bet you the inner cone has separated and will need some silicone. Better sound!

Another DIY project!
Old 03-16-11, 07:51 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
Im not sure if anyone put this into consideration but I think silicone is the best thing to use because you can make a very fine thin layer to fix them. Which is a good thing becaause i noticed you guys arent repairing the ENTIRE foam surrounding.. In time don't you think the foam that you did not apply any silicone/gasket sealant or whatever you used will start to deteriorate as well to the areas you didnt apply silicone/gasket sealant to? I have a picture i took on my phone but im too lazy to upload

For example vipness unrepairable speaker.. Everyones repairing the outside of the foam.. But not applying anything to the inner part of the foam which will eventually deteriorate as well.
yes indeed you have a good point.. hopefully by that same I would have saved enough for a new complete system
Old 03-16-11, 08:43 AM
mandyfig

Got that right. I am saving up for my LED tails!
Old 03-16-11, 03:19 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

haha the LED tails are such an improvement! I'm finally debt free so first things first i need to buy a new a/c compressor since it took a dump on me and do my belts and stuff.

alright. heres my speaker that i fixed but still not in use..

as you can see i put a thin layer to the undamaged foam on the inner side just to have it hold up and prevent it from deterioating in the future. A nice good thin layer so that the speaker is still functional as if it were new

Last edited by Pnuge88; 03-16-11 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 6x9 DIY speaker repair