Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

After the storms SC430 Snow Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 06:13 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After the storms SC430 Snow Poll

Looking at moving to DC again, and remembering how useless lucky was in the snow. Summer tires I expect was the culprit and a lack of driving experience in the white stuff. For those of you who use real winter tires, can you please give me an idea how well the SC did?
Old 03-03-11, 06:29 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't drive in the snow, ice, or when there was salt on the ground Some of you might remember what my SC looked like this winter haha I'm happy to announce that it's free. Kaiser this is what you have to look forward to lol
Old 03-03-11, 06:59 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

In Dallas we have had some nasty storms the past 2-3 years. I would never drive Ebony in the snow or ice. Lived here since 1996 and I can tell you that each year we get more midwest-like in the winter. What's worse is that we don't know how to take care of the roads (no sand or salt) nor do people know how to drive. I watched this lady in a RWD pickup approach a stop light at full normal speed on 2-3" of ice and SLAM on the brakes just to glide like sled and nearly plow two cars about 50 yards ahead of her....then what's worse is that she gunned it to the next light too and didn't learn her lesson!

I lived in Kansas for ten years and had many RWD cars and never had problems unless we had a really big storm quickly that the trucks couldn't get out fast enough for. I had no problem in RX-7's, Supras, 300Z's, etc because they took care of the roads!
Old 03-03-11, 08:29 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does SoCal count? There was a 20% chance of rain today, so she stayed in the garage-took the van instead. lol---Sad, but true!

John
Old 03-03-11, 09:38 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My sc IS a snowplow and laughs at -30c.....so far anyways
Attached Thumbnails After the storms SC430 Snow Poll-img_2325-2.jpg  
Old 03-04-11, 05:31 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Z3NK1, you must have a real good heater in that SC, or a very good snowmobile suit. lol
Kaiser glad to hear that you are going back to DC. That means things are going your way again. Atta boy keep it up. As far as the survey it's a little of both, the SC doesn't get driven in a snow storm but after the majority of the snow is removed, she goes out. so there could be some slick spots. I think the SC would be better than the ES because you can't shut off the traction control in the ES without going through a 10 step process, where as the SC you just flick the switch. I think I would maybe get a beater and play in the snow for a while before taking out the SC. I would be sure to "play" in the snow, no matter what you are driving, because you haven't lived in an area that has snow.
Go to a parking lot that isn't crowded and hasn't been plowed yet (one that you know without the snow) and go and do donutes and slam on brakes trying to lose control, then getting it back. That way when you are driving and something goes a miss you know what to do. That's my opinion anyway. Rear wheel drive is such fun in the snow.
Old 03-04-11, 06:23 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use my car to shovel the sidewalks
Attached Thumbnails After the storms SC430 Snow Poll-164547_489685833157_537808157_5879349_732280_n.jpg  
Old 03-04-11, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

LOL! That's real funny!
Old 03-04-11, 07:07 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in Quebec... I don't drive mine in the snow and salt. It's stored inside 'til spring!

IMO, rear wheel drive vehicules suck in heavy snow or icy conditions. Nothing beats an AWD for winter!!!
Old 03-04-11, 07:41 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scyul
IMO, rear wheel drive vehicules suck in heavy snow or icy conditions. Nothing beats an AWD for winter!!!
+1, I bought a truck for the winter and rainy days. Whenever I see a really nice car on the road in the snow, I cant help but . I never understood the reason why, unless the person doesn't care about their car . You can get a cheap FWD for $3k to drive instead. Reminds me of a lady driving a ferrari to Pep Boys while there was an inch of snow on the ground
Old 03-04-11, 08:04 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the DC metro area and honestly VDOT does a very good job on the main roads. I would say in most cases the main roads are SC passable within 6-12 hours after a good snow. It is the plow coverage in the neighborhood that you choose to live in that is the main concern. Example, during Snowmageddon (aka Snowpocalypse) my neighborhood streets were passable for my Mini Cooper (low ride but FWD) about 3 days after the storm ended, but my Mom's neighborhood which does not have a homeowner's association, did not see a plow for over a week! Driving a RWD car in adverse conditions means more careful driving but I think the big issue is the ride height. If your car is lower than the snow, It does not matter if you have AWD.
Old 03-04-11, 08:21 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by redliner8
+1, I bought a truck for the winter and rainy days. Whenever I see a really nice car on the road in the snow, I cant help but . I never understood the reason why, unless the person doesn't care about their car . You can get a cheap FWD for $3k to drive instead. Reminds me of a lady driving a ferrari to Pep Boys while there was an inch of snow on the ground
Same here! Bought a 4x4 DAKOTA for winter.
Even worst than snow, is the salt on the roads in winter!
Realy realy bad for cars. That's why I keep mine stored for the winter.
Old 03-04-11, 08:36 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm with Solman... 71+ today is San Diego... I think I'll go for a drive with the top down this afternoon. Maybe park by the shores and watch the surf.
Old 03-04-11, 03:29 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
In Dallas we have had some nasty storms the past 2-3 years. I would never drive Ebony in the snow or ice. Lived here since 1996 and I can tell you that each year we get more midwest-like in the winter. What's worse is that we don't know how to take care of the roads (no sand or salt) nor do people know how to drive. I watched this lady in a RWD pickup approach a stop light at full normal speed on 2-3" of ice and SLAM on the brakes just to glide like sled and nearly plow two cars about 50 yards ahead of her....then what's worse is that she gunned it to the next light too and didn't learn her lesson!

I lived in Kansas for ten years and had many RWD cars and never had problems unless we had a really big storm quickly that the trucks couldn't get out fast enough for. I had no problem in RX-7's, Supras, 300Z's, etc because they took care of the roads!
Don't even remind me. Convertibles are NOT meant for winter ice driving in Dallas no matter what anyone says. My dad was nice enough to drop off his Acura RL with SH-AWD for me to take to work. Now that's one fun car in the snow/ice.

Last edited by huy33; 03-04-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 03:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

There are a bunch of us who live in DC. Don't know how others feel, but here's my answer.

You will be fine except for about four days per winter. Regardless of your experience and ability to drive in snow, if you go out during those four days, you will be unable to drive safely.

You will be lucky if your only problem is that the SC gets stuck in the snow. While you are driving, you will experience a very bizarre sensation: "This car is not doing anything I am telling it to do. It feels like a puck in an air hockey game."

Quick Reply: After the storms SC430 Snow Poll