3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

After the storms SC430 Snow Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 04:45 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VVtiBob, I never realized what a mean streak you have. lol + 71 and put the top down, when most of these people here are freezing.
Old 03-04-11, 05:32 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Well just think how much it's costing me to drive at $4 a gallon now-a-days while your SC is all cozy and warm in it's garage.
Old 03-04-11, 06:32 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice all, I never considered the salt. If I make the move this year I guess it is better to stay home when it gets bad. I have 3 cars, all rear wheel drive, none of which is great in snow. I drove a 88 Mustang Gt to Seattle and found it worthless, bought a Subaru SVX which was amazing in snow. The SC was just as bad in DC, slid right through a 4 way stop, and found myself sliding off the road when I picked the family up at the airport. I really hate the Idea of selling lucky, but if one car has to go to make room for an AWD lucky's days are numbered. I think I would try the first winter before doing anything extreme.
Old 03-05-11, 12:47 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=VVTiBob;6196835]Well just think how much it's costing me to drive at $4 a gallon now-a-days while your SC is all cozy and warm in it's garage.[/QUOTE

Hi VVTIBob

You could be in the UK of course, be freezing and paying over 10 dollars a gallon like us. Looks like you are on a winner. I would stay put.

Best Steve
Old 03-05-11, 05:09 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

We all have our crosses to bear. lol At least we all have something to look forward to. Cheaper gas, warmer temperatures, both would be nice. The grass is always greener. yada, yada ,yada.
Old 03-05-11, 05:45 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I drove a 88 Mustang Gt to Seattle and found it worthless, bought a Subaru SVX which was amazing in snow. The SC was just as bad in DC, slid right through a 4 way stop, and found myself sliding off the road when I picked the family up at the airport.
Hey! I Had a Subaru SVX too!!! What an amazing car that was!!!
Old 03-05-11, 09:24 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't have that much snow here, only rain. I have summer tires on mine so when there's a chance of snow I take the RX.

Kaisersea1, do you have a set of winter wheels/tires for Lucky? This maybe a better option during winter months than letting Lucky go.
Old 03-05-11, 01:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

To echo what scdroptop and huy said, I've been in the DFW area since '79 and the winters go through a weather cycle here. They go from nasty to mild. It was real bad (for DFW) from about 78 - 83 (or so), then it got nicer but now it is starting to reverse. I think it was '83 or so when we had 12 days below freezing in a row and several inches of ice and snow.

Regarding this thread, the SC430 does marginally okay in ice and snow if you watch your Ps and Qs, but it is still tentative at best. If you're careful, you can navigate your way through the mess but you have to be on your guard the entire time and keep your foot out of the accelerator and off the brake as much as possible.

When we have ice on the road, I do my best to not drive the SC430 because it is RWD and there are plenty of folks who either don't know how to drive in it or are really rusty. They are as much (or the majority) of the problem as is the car.
Old 03-05-11, 01:59 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scyul
I'm in Quebec... I don't drive mine in the snow and salt. It's stored inside 'til spring!

IMO, rear wheel drive vehicules suck in heavy snow or icy conditions. Nothing beats an AWD for winter!!!
Hi yul,

My SC is not my daily driver; in fact, it is my ~ every 2-wks or so driver.

But with that said, I was in Reno recently, for a convention, and got caught in the snow. They would not let us go west on I-80 without AWD or chains. I bought the chains & when I got to the checkpoint he asked if I had AWD and I should have said 'Yes' as the roads were not bad. I got the chains on, drove ~ 25 miles until the sign said 'Chains can be removed' or something like that, and then removed them. The speed limit in this chain-area was 30 MPH but the SUV guys were doing their 'normal' 65 MPG or more; I stayed at no more than 30 MPH.

In retrospect, I should have said 'Yes' to the AWD question as the roads were (IMO) completely driveable without the chains.

Unless that type of 'capture' occurs, my SC nevers sees snow.

I HATE SNOW!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-06-11, 04:30 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi yul,

My SC is not my daily driver; in fact, it is my ~ every 2-wks or so driver.

But with that said, I was in Reno recently, for a convention, and got caught in the snow. They would not let us go west on I-80 without AWD or chains. I bought the chains & when I got to the checkpoint he asked if I had AWD and I should have said 'Yes' as the roads were not bad. I got the chains on, drove ~ 25 miles until the sign said 'Chains can be removed' or something like that, and then removed them. The speed limit in this chain-area was 30 MPH but the SUV guys were doing their 'normal' 65 MPG or more; I stayed at no more than 30 MPH.

In retrospect, I should have said 'Yes' to the AWD question as the roads were (IMO) completely driveable without the chains.

Unless that type of 'capture' occurs, my SC nevers sees snow.

I HATE SNOW!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen
Hi Jerry,

Believe me, I hate snow too!! In Quebec, it is mandatory to have winter tires on from December 15 'til March 15... Although we do get snow until late April.
I remember when I was a kid, seeing cars with chains on. But that's when almost all the cars were RWD. Nowadays, nobody drives around here with chain anymore and that's because most cars are FWD.

My theory is, in the snow, a FWD car is 5 times better than a RWD car and
an AWD car is 5 times better than a FWD car. That makes the AWD car 10 times better than a RWD car!

Anyway... 3 reasons I don't drive the SC in winter;

1- We do get a lot of snow from December to March/April and RWD suck.
2- They throw tons of salt and stones on the roads. So you end-up with tons of stone chips + heavy salt corrosion.
3- I also own a 4x4 pick-up truck (for work) so, no need to take the SC out until snow is gone!

Cheers!
Joaquin
Old 03-07-11, 03:30 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=howdybob

Kaisersea1, do you have a set of winter wheels/tires for Lucky? This maybe a better option during winter months than letting Lucky go.[/QUOTE]

Just one set of wheels with summer tires. Not much risk of snow in Miami. When I sold my SVX i shipped her to Alaska, AWD here is pretty useless. I guess I will see where we land. My plan is to buy a five year old Subie or Hyundai with awd, and use it as a snow beater. Problem is I am guessing the ctsv and LS won't be much better.
Old 03-07-11, 04:10 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Kaisersea1 with all the power and torque, on that CTS-V of yours, you could do donuts and such for days, and never wipe the smile off your face. lol The larger the fenderburg, the more fun you were having. Fenderburg- that's the clump of snow and ice that builds up on your fenders from spinning the tires. Sometimes it will be dragging on the ground, if you were having lots of fun. lol