SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Pipe Canister

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 12:35 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts
Default TPMS Pipe Canister

Working on a canister to keep my TPMS sensors. Seen a lot of nice looking pipes over at the IS forums. Shortly I will have my version.
Old 03-01-11, 12:37 PM
mandyfig

Trying to figure out something that is easily accessible. All the pipes I have seen, you will have to destroy it to get to the TPMS. I should design it so that it is accessible. Ideas welcome.
Old 03-01-11, 01:02 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Seems to me if you used teflon tape and one end was threaded instead of glued you should be able release the pressure and unscrew the threaded end. Maybe stop by a costco and have it filled with inert nitrogen gas instead of compressed air.
Old 03-01-11, 01:21 PM
mandyfig

Bob exactly what I was thinking. 30 psi will not affect the teflon seal.
Old 03-01-11, 02:21 PM
VVTiBob

Considering most water pressures are around 80 psi I wouldn't think so. But you could always drop in an o-ring for good measure. If you do plan on leaving them in there for a long long time, I'd use an inert gas like nitrogen.
Old 03-01-11, 04:29 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mandyfig, wouldn't it be easier to just disconnect the tpms. I thought the whole idea for them on the SC was because of the runflats, you couldn't tell if they were low because of the stiff sidewall. So if you aren't running the runflats, then you would be able to tell if you tires were low. And if you wanted to go back and use the system again just reconnect. Seems pretty easy from what I saw on the thread on disabling them. As a matter of fact I even had it lifted up to expose the wire connections and I could have did it then. I still have the runflats. They just don't wearout when it's sitting in the garage hooked up to the battery tender. Good luck with your quest for the canister.
Old 03-01-11, 06:16 PM
mandyfig

You have a point. I do have RF's (poor me).

But I just want to make my own canister, for the heck of it.

I will swap my TPMS when I dump the RF's.

For now I do not have the TPMS light lit up because it is picking up the signal from my twisters. But I think I will sell the twisters soon so I have to get my TPMS sensors anyway. So I will have them in an apartment until I decide what to do. heck maybe I will just get the current ones re-calibrated, LOL!

Parts have been lined up:
Attached Thumbnails TPMS Pipe Canister-parts.jpg  
Old 03-01-11, 06:18 PM
mandyfig

My version will be accessible. If I need the TPMS, just unscrew and retrieve.

Ready to be glued in/screwed in:
Attached Thumbnails TPMS Pipe Canister-ready.jpg  
Old 03-01-11, 06:20 PM
mandyfig

By tomorrow the TPMS will have moved in. And my twisters are going up for sale, in fact I have a buyer who wants to put it on his 2007 V6 Camry.
Old 03-02-11, 03:30 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where does the valve stem go? Is it on the picture and I missed it? Just another thing to carry along with your compressor, spare or whatever else you plan on carrying just-in-case you need it. Looks like a nice job.
Old 03-02-11, 05:20 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey mandyfig, I'm just curious why you would remove the working sensors and place them in a pressurized canister to trick the ECU into thinking the tires are okay? Do the sensors not fit in your rims? Since you can't always judge a tire's inflation pressure by appearances alone and by the time a low profile radial tire appears to be low, it may be 10 to 15 psi underinflated. I read all new vehicles are now required to have TPMS, so I just figured our cars were ahead of their time for safety. Looks like a cool diy project, just need clarification why you would do it
Old 03-02-11, 08:41 AM
VVTiBob

Hey Mandy, I gotta agree with Pogman, does not make a lot of sense to remove safety equipment while continuing to use the public roadways. Would you disconnect the SRS equipment? You also might consider consequences, i.e. if you were involved in a collision and the investigation revealed you removed government required safety equipment from your wheels, your liability would dramatically rise. In addition, if, heaven forbid, a fatality occurred, it could rise to a negligent act where a district attorney might consider a criminal complaint. Especially now since you've posted this easily discoverable thread about removing your TPMS devices.

There are alternatives now on the market to end the proprietary strangle hold of manufacturers on TPM systems. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2Vw...embedded#at=75 or the second video on Toyota products (in this example a Toyota Camry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyn-D...layer_embedded

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-02-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-02-11, 08:53 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Poqman
Hey mandyfig, I'm just curious why you would remove the working sensors and place them in a pressurized canister to trick the ECU into thinking the tires are okay? Do the sensors not fit in your rims? Since you can't always judge a tire's inflation pressure by appearances alone and by the time a low profile radial tire appears to be low, it may be 10 to 15 psi underinflated. I read all new vehicles are now required to have TPMS, so I just figured our cars were ahead of their time for safety. Looks like a cool diy project, just need clarification why you would do it
I was just bored. Needed a project to do. I really want my RFT replaced and at that time I will re-mount my old TPMS sensors. That can happen any moment now. Just looking for a buyer for my Pirelli RTF's.

Or I can go to the dealer and get my current TPMS activated. Maybe.

Hence I do not want the sensors unhooked.

Thanks for your concerns. TPMS is a good devise to have and I want it activated.

But TPMS is reactive. Good for detection. My strategy is prevention. If I eliminate root cause for the failure mode, I do not need the detection.
Old 03-03-11, 04:58 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Silly question....
Has anyone tried 4 wheels without sensors to see the reaction of the TPMS?

On my wife's G35x, also equiped with a similar system, I installed 4 TSW wheels without sensors, and all is fine! No warning light on and no chime! I even replaced one broken sensor valve with a regular valve on her set of winter wheels, and the monitoring system don't mind... it just don't get a signal from that wheel!

Is Nissan's system better than Lexus'?

Last edited by scyul; 03-03-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-03-11, 05:19 AM
mandyfig

The TPMS are inside the canister. The teflon tape seal did not work and had a leak. The components I used are not for pressure pipes but sewage and vent piping. So I had to seal it with some silicone. And it is now sealed. If I need to access to retrieve the sensors, break the seal and unscrew the cap.

Also you will need a tool to pull that valve stem. I sent the wheels to the shop to retrieve the sensors, my guy pulled the vlave for me. All it is is a threaded rod that you use to pull the stem.

So while waiting for the silicone to seal and with no pressure on the canister, I started the SC. Shoot! The audible and TPMS light went crazy! So it tells me that when you start that car and the ECU does not see any of the 4 signals...it goes berserk.

The minute I put air on the canister, start up the car, warnings do not happen.

I drop the pressure to 24 psi, the TPMS light goes on (no audibles).

So the canister is now in the trunk. I need to dress it up a bit.

I have to do some experimenting on how the sensors trigger the ECU to put out the alarms.

Then again, I can just unhook the 2 TPMS plugs and call it a day. Sweet.

Quick Reply: TPMS Pipe Canister