SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

CD player stopped working?

Old 02-25-11, 10:25 AM
JasonBrods
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD player stopped working?

OK.. My CD player stopped working and I can not get my CD's out... Any ideas? Also can I use an after market radio without effecting my GPS system?
Old 02-25-11, 10:59 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yes, there are a couple of threads on it. Typically, a CDR or a CD with a label gets stuck because the player isn't set up to handle the extra thickness. Hit your eject button and hit the side of the console by the unit, they will usually come out. You may wind up having to get something to grab it and pull it out of the openning though.
Old 02-25-11, 11:16 AM
JasonBrods
Driver School Candidate

well, the Cd's in the player are music CD's... It was working fine then we had some really freezing temps here in the Dallas area and the player stop working... When you try to play a CD that is already in the player it just buzzes and clicks. It won't eject, won't play and the says error on the front of the player. I will try hitting the console to see if it jars loose.
Old 02-25-11, 01:39 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this issue before. I took the unit apart and noticed that the spring (very thin ones) that holds the discs together was jammed. It was off the line cause the discs unable to load and eject. I then fixed the unit since I have a little stereo knowledge. After the first attempt, my CD changer jammed again with full load 6 discs. I reduced it to 5 and still jammed...finally, 4 was the most discs I could load on my unit. It's working fine for two years now. Based on my experience, I believed that the thin springs (all 4) being stressed to due aging,dust, cold, hot etc... I have tried to replace these springs with a similar ones but did not work. Either too stiff or too loose. Next time, if my unit fails again, I'd do DYI write up for sure. good luck Ned
Old 02-25-11, 01:42 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonBrods
OK.. My CD player stopped working and I can not get my CD's out... Any ideas? Also can I use an after market radio without effecting my GPS system?
Harold57 is correct about hitting the player. I posted a reply to a similar thread about stuck CD'S and it worked and a friend with an Acura TL solved her similar problem. Hold down the eject button and give the top of the dash above the player a good smack. Does not come out smack it harder.
Old 02-25-11, 02:33 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

How much...... harder ? LOL!
Old 02-25-11, 02:46 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

It happen to me twice & I fixed it both time, here what my experience....

1) Leave it for now, the after you accidentally drive over a big bump or pot hole....try it again. Worked for me

2) Disconnect the battery & try again, it will reset the CD changer unit. Worked for me
Old 06-24-11, 07:27 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sound quality as priority...Before I go old school and Burn CDR's. (LONG)

First let me explain why I am even thinking of doing this unsavvy and un 2011 approach to music mixes.....

Over the last couple of years I have had my CD/SACD collection grow due to upgrading much of my home audio system. It has turned into a small fortune in equipment, but the sound is absolutely amazing and addictive. I purchase CD's because, 1, I can play them on my home system with the utmost fidelity that digital can afford me, and 2 with the price of an MP3 download of an entire album very similar, it is simply more cost effective to purchase a CD, get the better fidelity AND have a hard copy.

Enter my 430...

I understand the laws of physics simply cannot reproduce the same kind of fidelity in a car... It just aint gonna happen, especially if one is used to planar or electrostatic dipole speakers in a room that has been acoustically treated with equipment costing as much as a CPO LS 460....I don't care WHAT latest proccessor that claims concert hall live sound in your car, you have no idea what's on your disc until you hear it on a system with clean, precise signal paths without all that junk that supposedly HELPS your sound quality. I had been chasing the dream of high end sound in my car for years, and not until recently, after hearing what true hi fidelity is, understand that it is a futile mission for true SQ in a car, sure we can put a system that puts a smile on your face in a car, but you CANNOT create the sense of space in car.... Okay so I've gone on a tangent.

Anyway, in 2011, we have gone the route of more info in less space...The sound of MP3 in general, is pretty poor, especially after listening to an audiophile system in the house. Now I am not expecting anything out of my "mark levinson" (Insert sarcastic "sell out"laugh here) in my LS430, BUT under some circumstances, depending on what I am listening to, and on a quiet highway road, it can sound pretty decent as long as I don't ask too much from it. I just don't like compressed sound files..... period. I would rather spin a disc and have to change it when necessary like we did 15 years ago.

So I want to make mixes on CDR's but I am scared of destroying the laser in the OEM unit. My dad's honda, my friends Infinity, both had issues of the laser dying on them, and the used pretty much exclusively, CDR's. I too would like to not have to worry about some guy stealing 50 CD's at once from me should he break into my car. I also would like to mix up the music a little more.

Is there a brand that is easier on the laser that I should consider? Anyone have no problems with a particular brand in their car over the years in their lexus? I don't want to destroy my laser like my father and friend did on the LS.

Sorry this post is so long, but I figured I would save subsequent posts in answering why I just don't use my ipod...

MODS! Please move this into it's own thread. I hijacked by accident. Meant to start my own thread but replied to this persons thread. My apologies.
Old 06-24-11, 08:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned Vo
I have had this issue before. I took the unit apart and noticed that the spring (very thin ones) that holds the discs together was jammed. It was off the line cause the discs unable to load and eject. I then fixed the unit since I have a little stereo knowledge. After the first attempt, my CD changer jammed again with full load 6 discs. I reduced it to 5 and still jammed...finally, 4 was the most discs I could load on my unit. It's working fine for two years now. Based on my experience, I believed that the thin springs (all 4) being stressed to due aging,dust, cold, hot etc... I have tried to replace these springs with a similar ones but did not work. Either too stiff or too loose. Next time, if my unit fails again, I'd do DYI write up for sure. good luck Ned
Please do not forget the DIY's! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-11, 09:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Lust4Lexus,
I've never heard of a particular type of CD stressing the laser. It really shouldn't make any difference what type of CD you use. There is no physical contact between the laser and the CD (unless there are major problems with them) and the power level of the laser should not be variable, so it shouldn't burn out any faster with one type of CD vs another. If I had to venture a guess, your dad's & friends' players died either from infant mortality (sorry that is a trade term) or had other issues that were not related to using CDRs.
Old 03-07-12, 04:47 PM
boricaridu
Driver School Candidate

I love you Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for help me fix My CD Changer problem, I hit it Twice on each side and BOOOMMM!!! I was fix!!!! Yeah baby, It was working Fine I took The dash appart to Put AUX on My radio so I can Use My MP3 player, I purchace a Part # TOY-AUX2 ON EBAY
Old 04-09-12, 10:24 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by boricaridu
I love you Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for help me fix My CD Changer problem, I hit it Twice on each side and BOOOMMM!!! I was fix!!!! Yeah baby, It was working Fine I took The dash appart to Put AUX on My radio so I can Use My MP3 player, I purchace a Part # TOY-AUX2 ON EBAY
Did you actually take the AC Panel out before you took the CD changer out?
Old 04-09-12, 10:47 AM
VVTiBob

To get to two of the four 10mm bolts that hold the 1DIN radio and 1DIN CD player, with a 2DIN face plate you must pull the AC head unit out. Then you need to pull out the wood console/ashtray piece to get to the other two bolts. I've found the easiest way to the the AC head unit out is to open the radio door, grip underneath and on top of the AC head unit, pull straight back, wiggling slightly side to side as well as up and down. There are six pressure clips holding the unit in place.
There is a stainless steel faceplate mounted to a black plastic body,with the six prong type pressure clips.
There will be a few inches of play in the wire harness which has three modular connectors. You may need a small flat blade screwdriver to help release the retaining clip on the connectors.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-09-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 11:07 AM
mandyfig

VVTiBob thanks for the tip.

Likewise through some research I have finally found a complete DIY on how to remove the Radio. It was the Vaistech install DIY.

And yes the trickiest portion is how to remove the AC panel without damaging it. And it only required the patient and gentle tug and pull until you get the 4 spring tabs out of the slots to free up the AC panel.

Removing the radio is one milestone, doing the un-jamming of the CD’s is the other. I have seen a flat charge of $345 to repair the CD changer and of course you have to ship it to the repair shop.

This CD changer issue has been on all across Lexus models, sad to say. These units are made by Pioneer. I guess Pioneer sucks.
Old 04-09-12, 11:32 AM
VVTiBob

Well I can't comment on the quality of 10+ year old technology, but the $345 repair fee seem to unreasonable to me. While my head unit and CD player work fine, I am replacing it with a new head unit, while keeping the ML amp and NAV system intact. I really just want to upgrade to 2012 tech with BT and iPOD interfaces and don't need or want all the other stuff others have installed.
The funny part was for years I've thought the face plate on our radios was a piece of stainless steel to match the AC controls, and to find out it's just finely grouved plastic painted to simulate stainless steel was disappointing.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-09-12 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD player stopped working?