SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Color combinations - rarity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 07:33 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color combinations - rarity?

So, it is a slow day at work today and I was just thinking, what are the rarest regular color combinations for the SC through its production (excluding the PB & NM editions).

When I was looking for an SC the saddle interior was a must and it was much harder to find than the ecru or black. I ended up purchasing a Midnight Pine Pearl & Saddle and I rarely see the same combo.

I think the strangest color is the Twilight Amethyst Pearl. It just seems to limit the appeal.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-11, 07:44 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There quite a few threads on colors throughout the forum. Do a search for "rare color" and check em out! Mine is Tigereye Mica Pearl...
Old 02-25-11, 09:01 AM
tentoys
Rookie

i had an opportunity to buy a Twilight Amethyst Pearl for a killer price but passed on it. i couldn't face that every day at any price.
Old 02-25-11, 09:10 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seemed like I paid more for black on black combination. I had seen many other color combos selling for cheaper.
Old 02-25-11, 09:35 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

I was originally looking for a white & saddle but I was open to black, green and blue too. I still think that white and saddle is a killer combination but I have been extremely happy with my MPP/saddle choice (the price and low mileage tipped the scales). It is really nice since the MPP can look black or green depending on the light so it is like I got two colors in one!
Old 02-25-11, 09:37 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

@ 76210Guy - Thanks, I am a newbie and I didn't think about doing a search first :P.
Old 02-25-11, 10:24 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapherynth
@ 76210Guy - Thanks, I am a newbie and I didn't think about doing a search first :P.
No worries. Been there, done that. At least you didn't get called out for it <wink wink> Enjoy the forum. These folks are some pretty cool people.

Old 02-26-11, 06:47 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

I to liked the MPP color and Saddle when I was looking to buy. At night it looks black. Now I just got my Work VS-XX Rims with gold centers, can't wait to put them on.
Regards

Last edited by bacardi; 02-26-11 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-26-11, 09:52 AM
westrella1
Rookie

I think the strangest color is the Twilight Amethyst Pearl.
i couldn't face that every day at any price.
... and these are examples of why it's rare to find TAPs out there. Wherever I go, I'm the only one around, & I quite like that. We can agree to disagree. If it's an acquired taste, then there's more for me.

Quite frankly, I like them all. But if you like yours, that's all that matters.

Last edited by westrella1; 02-26-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-26-11, 10:28 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on a search...I did a huge work up on colors! The Toyota Reference color chart is a great resource: http://www.toyotareference.com/lexussc#SC

Based on model years alone, the black on black would not be as rare due to the fact that they made it every year, however it is rare to see one.

Although we haven't been able to find or figure out how many of each color SC was produced nor the combination of interior colors, we know what colors are rare. The TAP and Indigo Ink Pearl with black interiors are extremely rare. Midnight Pine with Ecru or even with saddle is rare too. Absolutely Red with saddle or black is pretty rare. Costa Azul is the most rare color produced for the shortest time (non special edition). TEM (Tigereye) is pretty rare, and especiall rare without the camel interior--haven't seen one with black or saddle???

At first I didn't like TAP...but after seeing some beautiful ones here on CL and in person I love the color now. Very rare, and unique. It's like having two colors in one! Black and Purple. TAP is beautiful!!!! Especially in the shade or on overcast days---it's practically black!!!

Infiniti G37 Limited Edition and IPL Coupes, LE Sedans copy this color with a "Malbec Black" with red interior that is SWEET!!!!

Check it out: http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/con....G_Convertible.
Attached Thumbnails Color combinations - rarity?-0142011-infiniti-g37-ipl-convertible-paris.jpg   Color combinations - rarity?-0202011-infiniti-g37-ipl-convertible-paris.jpg   Color combinations - rarity?-0042011-infiniti-g37-ipl-convertible-paris.jpg   Color combinations - rarity?-0252011-infiniti-g37-ipl-convertible-paris.jpg  
Old 02-26-11, 10:17 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm a TAP with ecru and I think in my 3 years of ownership, I have only seen one other TAP. So using this unscientific yardstick, I feel it is a rare color. I do get compliments about the color, especially from people who figure out after a while that it is not black. If i had a choice, I am not sure I would change its color given the rarity.
Old 02-27-11, 04:24 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about rare, but when we were looking they had a blue one (don't know the full name) with ecru. We went inside and the white gold crystal w/saddle was sitting on the showroom floor. Don't know what happened to the blue one, because we knew that if we were getting one, the white one was going to be it. Had her since July of 08, and lovin' every minute of it. I would like to talk her into getting one for me. If you need to take four people take two cars. lol
Old 02-27-11, 01:12 PM
scdroptop

Indigo ink peal IS rare in ecru. Not sure if they made in black, but very rare also. Black Sapphire Pearl (slightly darker navy blue from 2007 on) did not come in Ecru, only Saddle and Camel.

SGM (smokey granite mica) is a fairly rare color as well, especially with black. Seen a lot of ecru and camel. I've never, ever seen a SGM with saddle. They offered it, but I've never seen one.

Matador Red Mica with ecru and saddle is very rare also. Most of the time you see camel or black. They offered all four interior colors also.
Old 02-27-11, 04:42 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Scdroptop, I see why you like that G37 it's black on the outside and red on the inside. lol I think that's the only colors you like. You must be a throw back from the fifties. lol I'm sure you must have "read" about them in some history book.lol
Old 02-27-11, 07:10 PM
scdroptop

Actually, I have only owned 4 out of 30+ cars in black! LOL, I guess I'm just hooked. Most of my cars (20 or more) have been red. I liked red so much I thought, "why not reverse the colors, and go with red on the inside"??

The G37 is actually not black, and that is probably one HUGE reason why I didn't jump on it---in daylight it is totally a Twilight Amethyst Pearl wannabe! Purple-ish/Black. Those pics don't do the color justice-it's really unique--and really not black.

I stay up late at night watching those Mecum Auto Auctions with all those classic roadsters and sports cars with white and black colors on red interiors!
Attached Thumbnails Color combinations - rarity?-5036406491_5654ddd7a8.jpg  

Quick Reply: Color combinations - rarity?