SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2003 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 11:28 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV is "option"

I believe that NAV has always been an "option" - except with very rare exceptions (ie. Hawaii) you can't really get one without it. Similar to the run flat "option".

My dealer also mentioned that Lexus will offer Lexus LInk in SC in 2003 but that most/all dealers in Eastern seaboard have "refused" to order them since the placement of the antenna was unsightly.
Old 08-24-02, 12:17 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Option to Navigate

I think that, upon introduction, the NAV was an option (the only other two options were run flat tires and the spoiler). Almost all cars came with all three options, although there are some out there without the NAV system.

You can spot these cars because they have a solid wood trim piece across the top, where the NAV screen would be located, and they have a digital compass in the instruments, I think above the odo readout.

I recall reading that about 6 months after the April 15 date of first sales that all 3 options became standard equipment (although you could of course, arrange with the dealer to replace the run-flats if you wanted to do that as an extra side deal).

I might be wrong, but I think that for about a year, there are no options other than colors and, (on the 2003 models) if anyone is really interested, the Lexus Link system, which I believe is done in conjunction with the GM On Star system, which has never made money for them because the overwhelming majority of OnStar buyers do not elect to pay for the service on a monthly basis after the first free year, and of those that do, most of them elect the lowest priced, basic service.

The NAV system is always there.

I must confess I thought the NAV system would be just an expensive toy and perhaps an interesting diversion, but after only a few months, I find it extremely useful (and a lot of fun) and would have one in every car from now on.

It's way cool.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-24-02 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-24-02, 09:24 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey guys!

Keep in mind that the SC430 base price rose a few times as a 2002 model also! I remember seeing my sticker saying somewhere around $58K for base and then it went up to somewhere around $61K with the run flats, spoiler, and NAV. 2 weeks after I bought it, it went up in price by $850 if I remember correctly. I think I even paid $200 or $300 more than the early (1st) buyers did. I bought mine on Oct 1, 2001 and I remember an increase for Nov 1st.
Old 08-25-02, 04:14 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I've been lurking for a bit. Anyway, I'm still researching and have been since before the SC430 was available. At first the Nav system was an option. Then Lexus seeing how dealers were gouging on the ottions made the Nav standard in 2002. However their newest web site makes it an option for 2003. This could be that since the car isn't in as high demand and dealers arent' as likely to charge over sticker they made it an option again. Just a guess.

Anyway, my local dealer has 6 on the lot and was wondering if it would be better to get one of those under sticker or get a 2003 at sticker next month. I will be leasing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fulmitz
Old 08-25-02, 04:53 PM
ahnj
Driver School Candidate

I too am looking to lease either a 2002 or 2003 sc430. Here in the bay area, pricing seems to be much higher than Southern California despite good availability. On a recent trip to a local Lexus dealer, I saw nine sc430s on the lot.
Old 08-26-02, 03:35 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wheel Conversion Kit??????

I test drove an '02 SC430 this past weekend and thought everything about the car surpassed my expectations. The interior, especially, was comfortable, beautifully designed and a lot less cramped than I anticipated. There is a "but" however. The car I drove had run-flats and, like many posts I have read, found them pretty jarring, especially when riding over frost-heaves or sharp bumps that need some tire wall flex to help absorbe the initial shock. In fact, on several occasions, I was afraid I had bent a rim or broken the suspension. That was a downer for me because I knew I would tire of the ride soon after I purchased it. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How much better is the ride with the standard tires?

2. Does anyone know what the "Wheel Conversion Kit" is? I asked my salesman but he told me he has not yet been able to get any information on it. I was hoping for a smaller diameter wheel which could accept a higher profile tire to improve the ride.
I would also expect that this kit would also be able to be installed on an '02.

Mike
Old 08-26-02, 03:53 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Mike,

Did you test drive at Lexus of New Orleans? I was there friday and they had 6 instock. What price are they talking? I was thinking of getting one too.

Fulmitz
Old 08-26-02, 05:40 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Yes, I stopped by Lexus of New Orleans on Saturday. I was told I could get a good price on the SC, but did not request one after being disappointed in the ride. How about you? Did you get a price quote and which color are you interested in. How do you find the ride? For me, the car rides firmly, but is more than acceptable on all but the worst streets. Too bad that here in N.O. we only have bad streets. I even tried to think of alternate routes for some of my routine drives. I kept trying to convince myself that I would get used to being jarred when hitting potholes, even thinking about moving to another city (!!!!!!!) just so I could have this car.

Mike

Originally posted by fulmitz
Mike,

Did you test drive at Lexus of New Orleans? I was there friday and they had 6 instock. What price are they talking? I was thinking of getting one too.

Fulmitz
Old 08-26-02, 08:32 PM
fulmitz
Driver

No quote and no test drive yet. Just had my wife try the IS300. She liked it better than my 2002 Accord EX V6. I like the accord better. I'm gonna try to test drive now if I can. I have an S2000 I'm gettting rid of so I'm wondering if the ride is just as harsh or more muted. The S has a very tight suspension, hence a rough ride.

Fulmitz
Old 08-26-02, 08:52 PM
MikeP
Advanced

I recently owned a BMW 330Ci with the sport suspension and 17" performance tires. The car was fun at first, but after a year, the newness wore off and the "pain in the butt" got worse. I gritted my teeth every time I saw a pot hole I couldn't avoid. The SC, at least in my opinion, rides a little softer than my BMW on better streets, but is more jarring when hitting ruts and potholes. I'll be interested to hear your comparison between the SC and your S2000.

Mike
Old 08-26-02, 11:59 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Well, I test drove the SC430. Not quite what I was expecting. When I first got on the road (by myself, the salesman gave me a key made a copy of my license and said to page him overhead when I got back) the ride was jittery and the steering wheel shimmied. At first I thought it might be the alignment but the dealer said it is the 18inch wheels with the run flat tires.

The acceleration was MONUMENTAL. My S2000 is fast but this car moves. I'm used to low torque and high revs. This car is high torque and low revs. The ride suprisingly on the S2000 is almost better. Not as much vibration with the 16 inch stock wheels and the cornering in the S2000 blows away the SC430. The SC430 has a GREAT deal of body roll when cornering. For such a rough ride I really thought it would handle better. The S2000 does .70 g in the 600ft slolom according to Motor Trend Magazine while the SC430 is .59 or something like that.

As for emenities the SC wins hands down. I could sit parked for hours playing with the radio and Nav system just opening and closing the wood covers ;-) The seats are supple and comfortable. The wood and leather steering wheel feels great in your hands. Now maybe I just have big feet, but the gas pedal felt cramped with my size 12 shoe, anyone else experience this? Much more foot room in S2000.

The dealer said the lowest they would go on a 2002 model was $59890. Still alot of money considering my S2000 stickers at $33,000 and seemed more fun to drive. The debate lingers on and then there's always the Infiniti G35 to retest. That cars interior seems very cheap to me. but again about $25,000 less than the Lexus.

Fulmitz

P.s. I luv the saddle and they only have Black and an Indigo in saddle. Any suggestions. Afraid Ecru will get too dirty.
Old 08-27-02, 09:50 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fulmitz ...

I've had my SC430 for one year and 3500 miles and have never noticed a jittery ride or a steering wheel shimmy. I think there's something wrong with that car he let you drive. Try another.

The run-flats do impart a significant jarring effect when hitting a pothole or sharp bumps. I grit my teeth whenever I can't avoid them.

I agree about the body roll. My last car was an Acura CL which had a great deal of body roll - worse than the SC, but I still notice it. Coming off an S2000, you must *really* notice it.

I also wear a 12 ...12D, in fact, but have had no problems with foot room. You don't happen to be wearing those huge leather wing-tips with wide outsoles, are you?
Old 08-27-02, 09:52 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I enjoyed your comments comparing your S2000 and the SC430. I didn't notice the shimmy, but I do agree with you on the jittery ride. It might be my imagination, but the SC also seemed to have limited suspension travel. I would like to test drive an SC430 with 17" wheels and non-runflat tires to see just how much the 18" runflats effect the ride. I would have to get a larger discount for a 2002 to be persuaded to buy one, even if I could reconcile the ride.

Mike

Originally posted by fulmitz
Well, I test drove the SC430. Not quite what I was expecting. When I first got on the road (by myself, the salesman gave me a key made a copy of my license and said to page him overhead when I got back) the ride was jittery and the steering wheel shimmied. At first I thought it might be the alignment but the dealer said it is the 18inch wheels with the run flat tires.

The acceleration was MONUMENTAL. My S2000 is fast but this car moves. I'm used to low torque and high revs. This car is high torque and low revs. The ride suprisingly on the S2000 is almost better. Not as much vibration with the 16 inch stock wheels and the cornering in the S2000 blows away the SC430. The SC430 has a GREAT deal of body roll when cornering. For such a rough ride I really thought it would handle better. The S2000 does .70 g in the 600ft slolom according to Motor Trend Magazine while the SC430 is .59 or something like that.

As for emenities the SC wins hands down. I could sit parked for hours playing with the radio and Nav system just opening and closing the wood covers ;-) The seats are supple and comfortable. The wood and leather steering wheel feels great in your hands. Now maybe I just have big feet, but the gas pedal felt cramped with my size 12 shoe, anyone else experience this? Much more foot room in S2000.

The dealer said the lowest they would go on a 2002 model was $59890. Still alot of money considering my S2000 stickers at $33,000 and seemed more fun to drive. The debate lingers on and then there's always the Infiniti G35 to retest. That cars interior seems very cheap to me. but again about $25,000 less than the Lexus.

Fulmitz

P.s. I luv the saddle and they only have Black and an Indigo in saddle. Any suggestions. Afraid Ecru will get too dirty.
Old 08-27-02, 10:33 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Bushings

Before you write off the SC430, check this forum for discussions dealing with the new bushings.

Most of the original cars had a hard ride which was improved with a new set of bushings, and then made even better (softer) with a second type of new bushings.

I had mine replaced (all under warranty) and have noticed a great improvement -- much less of a harsh bump and almost no noise when going over a sharp bump in the pavement. (And I think I got the middle set.)

From your description, I suspect the car you are driving has the original type of rear bushings.

I have had the car for over a year and have no problem with the ride or the handling. It is different from my SC400, has a harsher ride but corners and generally holds the road much better. I find it a great combination of sport and luxury, but you have to find the right mix for your own tastes.

Don't give up.
Old 08-27-02, 11:12 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I also had an SC300 and remember the ride as being much softer, but still firm. The SC430 I drove must be a pretty recent build as it only had about 20 miles on the odometer. The jarring on rough pavement edges was mostly from the front of the car. If the dealer was only willing to drop the price of an '02 to $59890, wouldn't you think the better deal would be to wait for an '03 and that way make sure all the suspension updates have been applied?

Mike

Quick Reply: 2003 Sc430