SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pop a Dent

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 08:38 PM
dag8882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop a Dent

2day, while i was in target, some &$$hole bumped a shopping cart in2 my SC. left nothing too bad, but still annoying just seeing that dent there...anyhow,has anyone on CL ever used a pop-a-dent/door ding system...& if so what results/recommendation/advice do you have. thanks for any & all advice in advance.

-dave
Old 02-02-11, 05:37 AM
rcroller
Rookie

Damn that's annoying! I wouldn't recommend the pop-a-dent kit...it can pull the metal out too far...Google "Paintless dent removal" where you live...most people have a service that can massage the metal from the backside and work the dent out...I just had it done to my SC last week...the guy did four dents for $55...good luck.
Old 02-02-11, 08:05 AM
marksblusc
Driver School Candidate

Agree with rcroller - get paintless dent removal from a mobile dent guy. They can be found hanging around dealerships. The metal on cars is too thin, and you will make it worse if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 02-02-11, 08:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

A lot of what you can do will depend on where the dent is and what kind of dent it is. If the dent is in a wide flat area without OEM creases and is not small indentation, you can wet the area down and pull it out with a plumbers helper (a plunger) or a big suction cup.

Otherwise, I'd echo the recommendation above of going to the paintless dent repair folks. The pop-a-dent repair kits I've seen require that you drill a hole in the metal to pull it out and you don't want to do that.
Old 02-02-11, 09:32 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will thank yourself if you find a PDR expert and have your dent professionally repaired. It's not expensive and as mentioned in a previous post your dealer almost certainly has an arrangement with one. Anything you do yourself is almost certainly going to leave something behind.
Old 02-02-11, 10:17 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the thread.
I backed into my garbage can last year
and performed a slight crease dent on my driver's
rear quarter panel.
talked to my local toyota dealer/repair shop
and was given the number of a service they use.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-02-11, 06:35 PM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

Any shopping center parking lot is enemy territory for ours cars. I have seen people leave shopping carts on the uphill side of an open parking lot and just walk away. I always go out of my way to go get one and use it myself. Sorry, it happened to you.

Try the dealer first. I took my 02 in for a small dimple/ding repair just under the driver's door handle. They quoted me $125.00 to fix it. After about 90 minutes they brought it out for me to inspect and told me that it was 98-99% gone and not the 100% that they strive for. I had to strain myself to see what they meant as it looked absolutely fine to me. Then I was told there would be no charge because it wasn't perfect. Really, everyone that looks at it now is amazed how good the repair turned out. To me the dealer really showed their customer courtesy on this one. Good luck!

JC
Old 07-04-11, 02:43 PM
collinshl
Driver School Candidate

What's the name of the dealership you used? Thanks.
Old 07-05-11, 09:47 AM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of Tacoma. I try and touch base with them before going to places where I haven't done any business.
Old 07-05-11, 01:11 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

It is really great if you know a dent guy. I would pay yearly to get the dent-dings out if reasonably priced.

I was mesmerized with a dent guy who worked on my Acura many years ago, best $100 I have spent, took him 45 minutes and he went around the car and did every ding he saw. Some of which I did not even notice until he started working on it.
Old 07-05-11, 03:00 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
It is really great if you know a dent guy. I would pay yearly to get the dent-dings out if reasonably priced.

I was mesmerized with a dent guy who worked on my Acura many years ago, best $100 I have spent, took him 45 minutes and he went around the car and did every ding he saw. Some of which I did not even notice until he started working on it.
Hi mandy,

Try to get in touch with a local BMW club. I used to own a BMW & joined, then they had a get together up in Seattle that I attended and found some Dr. Dent guys. That lead me locate a local guy.

Usually your local BMW club or Porsche club are good sources of 3rd party work of this type. I found my bodyshop by using the local Porsche club's newsletter ( I have owned 2 Porsches in years past ).

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-05-11, 03:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for the tip. in fact I just found the card of the guy who did my Acura, will give him a call. Between my cars and a friend's his trip will be worthwhile.
Old 07-14-11, 12:02 AM
wbrewster
Driver School Candidate

I used a local guy to remove about 12 dings when I bought my 02. The guy performed miracles. In some cases he had to drill an access hole and the plug it up with a plastic cover. I can't say enough good things about the work he did. I then hired a mobile paint guy to repair all chips etc. I then had him paint the entire hood ($600) which he did over a 4 day period while I was away. I then added a clear bra ($585) which covers the entire front bumper, about 18 inches on the hood, behind the door handles, edge of both doors, 2 side mirrors and on the top of the rear bumper. The car is now 100% ding free and 100% stone chip free. The Bra is the best part. No more stone chips from freeway driving!! What I did not know is that the entire hood could have the bra applied also. Actually, the entire car can be done. Now I just have to be careful of all the morons who open their doors on my car!!!! - Wayne Brewster
Old 07-15-11, 09:43 PM
collinshl
Driver School Candidate

I took my SC to Metropolitan Detail awhile back. He fixed a golf ball sized dent in the rear quarter panel for me. Couldn't tell there had ever been one after he finished with it. Also did an amazing job detailing the paint. A bit on the pricy side, but worth it. He's got a reputation of being one of the best in the area. Has a lot of high end (e.g., Lambo, Ferrari, etc) clientele. Shop is in Bellevue (eastside of Seattle). Check out http://www.metropolitandetail.com/