50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

NEED OPINIONS! Red or Black Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 02:12 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks redliner8, hmmm I do like the black.. I might paint my sidemarkers black also.

@mandyfig lol orange in the front, that would look so weird with 2 different caliper colors!
Old 01-23-11, 02:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by iamtheodor
Thanks redliner8, hmmm I do like the black.. I might paint my sidemarkers black also.

@mandyfig lol orange in the front, that would look so weird with 2 different caliper colors!
Yup weird during the daytime, looks good at nite, but how can you see the calipers at nite? LOL!
Old 01-23-11, 06:37 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

My heart is now wavering towards Black calipers with white Lexus decals.
Old 01-24-11, 05:26 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem. Black with white decals would look good and go well with your rims, or even black with gray decals. I did blue with black decals (I still have to put the decals on...anxiously waiting for Winter to end).

You would paint the entire outside of the side marker black? That'll look good. I've considered tinting mine, so you can still see the side marker lights when they're on. I don't know if it'll work, I've never done tinting so I'm not sure how or what kind to use.
Old 01-24-11, 08:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by iamtheodor
My heart is now wavering towards Black calipers with white Lexus decals.
You got a thing going with your concept! Go for it.
Old 01-24-11, 08:29 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

You'll have to let us know how the decals work out...the caliper's surface is rather rough compared to other surfaces. While painting may offer some smoothing of the surface, I'm wondering if there will be sufficient contact surface for a good look?
Old 01-24-11, 09:09 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've put decals on my 06 VW GTI, the calipers were already red from the factory, so I didn't have to paint them first. I would think that the paint would smooth them out a little. As a matter of fact the wheels that I had on the GTI, I didn't even have to take the wheels off to put the decals on. You wouldn't think that a little decal would make that much of a difference, but I think it does. Dresses them up just a little bit more. IMHO
Old 01-24-11, 09:46 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed, did you spray with a clear coat after you applied the decals? Or did they stay on fine without it?
Old 01-24-11, 10:36 AM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black with red or white "Lexus" decals. Since the calipers are rough and to get them just right, you'd have to spend a lot of time sanding them. Think about powder coating them gloss black.
Old 01-24-11, 03:41 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redliner8
No problem. Black with white decals would look good and go well with your rims, or even black with gray decals. I did blue with black decals (I still have to put the decals on...anxiously waiting for Winter to end).

You would paint the entire outside of the side marker black? That'll look good. I've considered tinting mine, so you can still see the side marker lights when they're on. I don't know if it'll work, I've never done tinting so I'm not sure how or what kind to use.
Yes, the person I spoke with said that painting 2 coats will allow it to look solid black, but when the lights are on it will still show light coming through at night.

And thanks to everyone else about the rough surface of the calipers. I will look into sanding them before painting and will make sure that the surface is smooth.
Old 01-25-11, 08:22 AM
rcroller
Rookie

Have you considered the MGP Caliper Covers? I'm thinking of going that route unless there is a reason why they wouldn't be a good choice...any feedback on them out there?
Old 01-25-11, 08:44 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REDLINER8 No I didn't spray with anything. They stayed just fine.
Old 01-25-11, 09:16 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcroller
Have you considered the MGP Caliper Covers? I'm thinking of going that route unless there is a reason why they wouldn't be a good choice...any feedback on them out there?
I've thought about it, but I don't like the design of the MGP version. If only they looked more aggressive. Plus the price is pretty expensive just for covers.
Old 01-25-11, 12:18 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Regarding the MGP caliber covers. The only "issue" would be your wheel and its inside diameter measurement. If you're using OEM wheels or tourmalines like mine the are no problems. However since the cover, is just that a cover, it does add a little to the measurement of the caliper and narrows the clearance between the caliper and the inside of the wheel. Other than that, I have been very pleased with them, not only better looking in my opinion than the OEM calipers, but brake dust/grime has been dramatically reduced. That means less time spent cleaning chrome wheels for me.
Old 01-25-11, 12:35 PM
rcroller
Rookie

Thanks, VVTiBob. My '07 has the OEM wheels so it should work out fine. Now the only question remaining is red or black? I've got Black Saphire Pearl with Liquid metal wheels and am thinking red...Is the installation easy?

Quick Reply: NEED OPINIONS! Red or Black Calipers