SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Forum made me do it!/ New Michelin Pilot Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 11:30 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 166 Posts

Find a new dealer. They are feeding you garbage. Someone that knows what they are doing will have no problem with the TPM.
Old 01-25-11, 11:37 AM
gentouru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about that, but I only have 1 lexus dealer in town or go to the other one 1 hour away. Last option, drive 3 hours to sewell in Dallas. My dealer even forgot to replace my filter for the 20k service!
Old 01-25-11, 12:16 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Should be no issue with TPM. I used Lexus because of the free tire comp I received and I like pick up and loaners and I know if there is a issue they will not blame my shocks,brakes rotors etc on the problem (if any come up). At 20 K your brakes still should be fine. I do not know what they are doing other than cleaning up the brake pad dust. Maybe someone else has some input on the brake issue but I have not ever had that done . If the brakes go bad i change them and turn or replace the rotors at usually 40-50K unless you ride the brakes!!
Old 01-25-11, 12:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Lets think about this Discount Tire changes tens of thousands of tires each year. Many, if not the vast majority of cars now have TPM senors since the TREAD ACT was signed into law in Nov 2000 by then President Clinton. While an inexperienced mechanic might screw up once in a blue moon, I don't believe for a moment that Discount Tire would be in business if they were constantly damaging TPM devices. I think your dealer is trying its best to add to its profit margin by instilling fear. I'd run away from them as fast as I could.
Old 01-25-11, 05:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes thats BS, switched my tires/rims at a local shop (swapped with my IS250s stocks) and its a night and day difference. The only thing is I need my tire pressure sensors to be registered with the SC since they were registered with the IS. It was fine for a little and then the light went off (same with happened with the IS250). Hopefully if lexus does not want much ill have them re-register the sensors or else ill just have them taken out and swapped at my local tire shop...although that would be a major pain for them.
Old 01-29-11, 12:15 AM
alamberth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't help but read this thread; huge fan of Michelin here...have sets on all three cars. I did want to ask, since I too have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my SC...I opted for the run flat version of the tire the "ZP" GREAT ride, very quiet and handle amazingly well in the snow.
Old 01-29-11, 06:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
Yes thats BS, switched my tires/rims at a local shop (swapped with my IS250s stocks) and its a night and day difference. The only thing is I need my tire pressure sensors to be registered with the SC since they were registered with the IS. It was fine for a little and then the light went off (same with happened with the IS250). Hopefully if lexus does not want much ill have them re-register the sensors or else ill just have them taken out and swapped at my local tire shop...although that would be a major pain for them.
We need to find a way to re-register a new set of TPMS....
Old 01-29-11, 01:42 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
We need to find a way to re-register a new set of TPMS....
Hi Mandy,

Personal opinion: TPMS only are there due to the RFT's ( and the fed's of course ).

I think people should get rid of both of them ( RFT's & the TPMS ) and go 'au naturel', end of both problems.

Jerry Baumchen
An 'old school' type of guy
Old 08-24-11, 04:38 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Wow only 8.4k on an 07 PB?

I'm going to wait till mine get up to 25k before I change the tires. I'm only at 13.5 right now so about a year and a half more. I've been leaning toward the Continental ExtremeContact DWS but looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Run flat seems "fine" but crazy when going over small bumps.
Woke up this morning and my rear driver side tire had a nail in it. Replaced all four tires with Continental ExtremeContact DWS... Heaven!!!

The old tires would haven been good for about 7k miles but didn't want to buy one tire and replace all later on. Car is at 19.8k miles.