SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 01:06 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit

I just noticed Sewell Lexus Online had this up on their website for the GS and IS car line. It's a Tire Repair System like the Conti and BMW kit where there's a pump and a bottle of sealant.

Product is only listed under the GS/IS line though. $65.40 for the whole thing - $27.46 for the replacement tire sealant if you create an account that's connected to your Club Lexus username.

Anyone tried this product or have any experience with it? I know the Slime version is a pain on the TPMS but this one says Non-toxic TPMS-compliant sealant.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/4343.html
Old 01-02-11, 01:47 PM
MadHungari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huy33,
Thanks for the info. The BMW and Conti kits are different. The BMW kit has the sealant in a squeeze bottle—one “squeezes” the sealant into the tire by hand and then uses the air pump to inflate the tire (two operations). The Conti kit uses the air pump to pump the sealant into the tire while inflating the tire (one operation). Do you recall which system the Lexus kit uses, and does anyone know which is more effective?
Old 01-02-11, 02:30 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the description on their website:

The F-Sport Onboard Tire Repair System (OTRS) is designed to repair punctures of up to 1/4 inch diameter in the tread area of the tire. Features:
* Unique integrated tire sealant cartridge and compressor in one easy to use unit o With up to 36 PSI, the OTRS injects sealant and inflates the tire simultaneously
* Lighted pressure gauge
* Non-toxic TPMS-compliant sealant
* Powered by any 12-volt outlet in vehicle
* The storage bag is made from durable canvas with an embroidered F-Sport logo. The bag also has two wide Velcro mounting strips to help ensure the kit remains in place during normal driving
The tire repair is temporary. Though the tire will last for up to 500 miles, the intention is to allow the motorist to quickly and safely complete the repair, get back on the road, and proceed as soon as possible to an authorized tire repair facility to have the tire permanently repaired.

I'm guessing it's like the Conti going by their description??
Old 01-02-11, 05:20 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ordered one and should have it by mid next week. Shipping to my zip was additional ~$10. When it shows up I can post some additional photos and any learnings from the instruction manual. I regret that although I'm all about taking one for the team I'm not going to create tire damage to check out how it works...
Old 01-02-11, 07:21 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Very intersting...thanks for the post. Keep us posted CJS18...
Old 01-03-11, 08:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cjs18
I have ordered one and should have it by mid next week. Shipping to my zip was additional ~$10. When it shows up I can post some additional photos and any learnings from the instruction manual. I regret that although I'm all about taking one for the team I'm not going to create tire damage to check out how it works...
Update, you got it? How is it? This might be what I need.
Old 01-04-11, 05:23 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Update, you got it? How is it? This might be what I need.
I was too cheap to pay for expedited shipping since the SC is basically garaged for the winter so it's still en route. I'm hoping it is my solution too. I don't really want to fill the entire trunk space with a tire I may never use.
Old 01-04-11, 07:42 AM
mandyfig

Just let us know when you get it, post pics where you want it located in the trunk.
Old 01-05-11, 06:29 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

The FSport emergency tire repair kit arrived today. Sewell got it to me in two days with Fedex ground home delivery. It was double-boxed and the outer container was somewhat smaller than I had expected, about 6 lb. Inside there is a padded canvas zipper bag containing the kit. The bag has embroidered lettering and logo – it’s not silkscreened. A first impression is that it’s reasonably well-made and assuming it works, if should be worth the $76. No surprise to me that it was a Chinese product.

The photos should be able to do most of the talking but what’s not necessarily obvious is that the left-hand side of the case opens upward to reveal the sealant flask. You can see the side of the sealant with the expiration date on it through the housing in the front view. There is no mention of how to change out the sealant in the instruction manual. I’ve included the “meat” of that manual as a PDF file. The squares in the background of the photos are inch graduations.

Some were interested in where/how to incorporate it into the cavernous SC430 trunk space. I’m pleased to report that it drops nicely into one of the little depressions behind the tail lights and the fit is close enough that it doesn’t wobble around. There is Velcro front and rear also, but it isn’t needed to secure it where it’s shown in the photo.

There are two functions: air-pump-only mode and air-with-sealant mode. I haven’t tried the air pump yet so I don’t even know if it works. I also don’t know what the yellow button is for on the front panel. I may have missed it while looking through the documentation. Since it’s immediately in line with the pressure gauge I was guessing it is related, maybe to bleed off overfill air?

Regarding the gauge, it has a 100 lb scale. I wouldn’t have picked this range for a tire that uses ~33 lb but supposedly the unit is useful for other applications, so maybe it’s appropriate overall. There are some limitations on what this thing is designed to do. It isn’t going to fix a sidewall cut or a puncture larger than 1/4”. For the average nail it should work fine. Also, the documentation says that 100 miles is as far as you should drive following a fix with this kit.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit-dsc05632.jpg   Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit-dsc05633.jpg   Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit-dsc05635.jpg   Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit-dsc05638.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-05-11, 07:19 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has air only option, nice!!
Old 01-05-11, 07:54 PM
mandyfig

Fantastic. Will get one too. And that is the perfect place for it. Thanks.
Old 01-05-11, 08:02 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nice! I think I'm in too! Thanks for posting. Looks great too
Old 01-05-11, 08:50 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of interest on this, hopefully sewell is watching. Group buy would be great
Old 01-06-11, 05:06 AM
mandyfig

Group buy.

We have 7 so far...we need 10 at least to get Darrell's attention, maybe

mandyfig
scdroptop
cyberlexus
jerzylexus
playtym
huy33
FD143

who else...??

Last edited by mandyfig; 01-06-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 05:36 AM
jerzylexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in for group buy.

Quick Reply: Lexus Tire Repair System/Mobility Kit