SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Grom Audio USB Adapter works in my 2005 Lexus SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 11:35 PM
Rockysc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Followup note on the Grom Audio USB adapter in my 2005 SC430:

The Grom manual says their device will do 99 virtual CDs and most car stereos support that. I found out my Lexus car stereo only supports 32 virtual CDs; which is OK with me since each virtual CD has 999 tracks.

When I first posted this subject my USB Flashdrive memory stick only had 29 folders (virtual CDs) on it and it worked great. Since I had a 32 GB USB memory I filled up the rest of the Flashdrive with Audio books and Radio Drama Podcasts. This gave me 52 folders or 52 virtual CDs. When I plugged it in the Grom and turned on the car stereo, it would not play anything and locked up blinking on CD #1.

I removed the Flashdrive and deleted 10 folders bringing it to 42 CDs. It played OK but when advancing CDs when I got to 32 and told it to go to 33, it went to 1. It also locked up the Grom and I had to remove the center console heater controls and pop the gearshift cover to get to the Grom which is under the front cup holder.

Unplugging the Grom for a minute fixed the lockup problem. I have been running it for several days now with just 32 folders on the Flashdrive. 29 are song playlists and 3 are Audio books. If you buy one of these, a 16 Gb Flashdrive will work for the 32 virtual CDs.

If you do this Grom USB adapter on a newer SC430 it would be interesting to know if you could play more virtual CDs than my limit of 32.

-Rockysc
Old 12-22-10, 07:19 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

I wish I had the guts to do that install. Nice writeup! I'm officially green with envy.

Old 12-23-10, 04:52 PM
Rockysc
Driver School Candidate

Smile Grom Audio USB Label on Car Radio

I do not use my 2005 Lexus SC430 internal 6 disk CD player anymore since I installed the Grom Audio USB adapter. It gave me 32 external virtual CDs on a 32 GB memory stick and each CD can have 999 tracks.

I attached a photo of the label that I put over the car's CD player slot that shows me the memory stick Playlist names for my 4000 songs, Audiobooks and Radio Dramas Podcasts.

I wanted to assure all of you that it was very easy to pull out my radio and install the adapter myself. Like most of you I was not about to do it myself so when my Grom Audio arrived at home, I found a local car stereo dealer where the installer used to be a mechanic at a Lexus dealer. I watched him carefully take my console and dash apart. I was surprised by how easy it was. This Lexus car has excellent engineering in its design.

Grom had sent me the wrong cable so I took a photo of the back of my radio and had the car stereo person put it all back to normal. I sent the photo to Grom who then sent me the different cable. Since I saw how easy it was, I did it myself when the new cable arrived.

It anyone is interested, I can post a very detailed step-by-step procedure of how to do the job.

-Rockysc
Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB Adapter works in my 2005 Lexus SC430-gromaudiousb-labels.jpg  
Old 12-23-10, 07:29 PM
deadeyed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"All the steering wheel controls .... work"

If I haven't got the parrot system, I would go for this one. Nice work!
Old 12-24-10, 10:11 AM
Rockysc
Driver School Candidate

Smile Looks better covering the ancient cassette hole

My dear wife saw my label covering my SC430 CD radio slot and pointed out to me a few things:

1. On trips she likes to bring along a few of HER favorite artist CDs to play and would appreciated it if I would leave the CD slot open!
2. The overhang of the AC panel puts the top of the radio in shadow and after dark you can not see the letters in the top of my label.
3. It is pointless on the label to have the names of the audiobooks on the CD # because they change as the months go by but the song playlists do not.
4. She suggested making a smaller label of just song playlists and covering the empty hole of the ancient cassette player which we never use.

I did as she suggested just showing the CDs of my song playlists.
Not seeing a cassette player on my dash makes the car look newer!
I have to agree it looks much better:
-Rockysc
Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB Adapter works in my 2005 Lexus SC430-gromusb-label.jpg  

Last edited by Rockysc; 12-24-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 05:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

A must have on our SC's. For those who have done it on their 2002~2004, post up and good luck to you.
Old 12-27-10, 08:47 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work! Next modification to your label...glow in the dark yellow background with black letters illuminating LED style! Very nice customization!!!
Old 02-02-11, 02:57 PM
04SC430TX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I order this kit:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
plus the TOY1 cable:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/grom_...le-c-toy1.html

and bluetooth dongle $44.99

my 2004 SC430 will be good to use bluetooth for audio streaming music and cell phone, USB for my 500GB external hard drive to play all my storage mucis, AM I RIGHT?
Thank you so much for all your help.

This is my 1st post, please forgive if I made any mistake or errors.
Old 03-05-11, 09:08 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone taken the plunge and tried it on a 2002-2004 sc430?
Old 03-06-11, 05:28 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
has anyone taken the plunge and tried it on a 2002-2004 sc430?
^ I would like to know this too!
Old 03-06-11, 06:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Somebody....confirm this for 2002~2004. This is another good DIY.
Old 03-08-11, 05:14 PM
Rockysc
Driver School Candidate

Default iTunes and Grom USB adapter

Another update …

It has been months since I did the non-invasive install of the Grom Audio Stereo USB adapter in my 2005 Lexus SC430 center console. It has worked flawlessly and has never locked up or had a problem.

And here is a bonus that I discovered …

The software in the Grom adapter works very well with my iTunes music library. For example I have playlists in iTunes where my songs are by genre (Pop, Rock, Country, Broadway, etc). In the iTunes playlist I can arrange the play order of the songs by simply moving them up or down the list. My iPhone’s iPad will play them back in that same sequence. I have 687 songs in my Pop folder and the first 100 are my favorites. They play the way I stack the list, not by song name or date. When I copy the playlist to my USB memory stick, the Grom adapter also plays the songs in the same order so I hear all my favorites first. For example the first 14 tunes in my Broadway playlist are songs from Les Miserables played in the same sequence that they are sung in the musical. This is a really nice feature!

I can also push the car stereo dash button for random play and the Grom will randomly play the USB songs.

I covered my Cassette Player hole with a printed card cut to the right size to overlay the opening. The card shows my Grom Audio Virtual CD Number and the Playlist assigned. My new color scheme has more contrast and shows up better after dark having white letters on a black background. The car also looks newer by not seeing a cassette player on the dash.

This is really a nice system. Easy to install and works great!
Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB Adapter works in my 2005 Lexus SC430-cassette-cover-grom.jpg  
Old 03-08-11, 06:54 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

lol i usually close my head unit up and just have the Nav screen out and use the controls on the wheel so i dont have to see the tape deck
Old 03-08-11, 07:11 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

wow nice...you are making me want to pull my vais out and install the grom! i am a mess on itunes and have nothing in playlists...just one huge pile or stuff!
Old 03-10-11, 05:40 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

I think you are wrong about the sc stereo only having 32 virtual cd's I have 53 so far in my 05 with vais up. I notice the stereo only goes as high as the number of virtual cd's I have on my ipod but when i add one on the ipod the car stereo recognizes it.

Quick Reply: Grom Audio USB Adapter works in my 2005 Lexus SC430