SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Disconnect Power Antenna???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 05:58 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn something new every day. I can verify that the rear antenna does in fact adjust itself to the different FM radio frequencies. Played around with it last night and sure enough depending on the station is extended different heights. I find it hard to believe that it would do that and not be part of the FM reception. That's not to say you could put a solid mount on though.

TOXIC
Old 12-08-10, 06:35 AM
alamberth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys - actually unplugged the power supply to it a few years back. While it wasn't too hard to do (less than an hour but some minor scrapes on my hand) I just took out a few screws and trim pieces here and there in the trunk to access it. I'm glad it is safely stored in the rear quarter panel. Figured it was easier than watching it get stuck in the up position; not to mention I never used it. Prefer my iPod to the radio.
Old 12-16-10, 04:48 PM
laptop4dug
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Should be the 10A Radio NO.2 fuse located in the passenger side fuse junction box, behind the kick plate. Center column fifth from the top. But I don't know what other circuits, if any, are run through this fuse, so I guess it'll be remove it and test. If pulling the fuse does not work, you could disconnect the antenna mast power at the auto control relay located back by the mast itself.
Pulling the fuse did not remove power from the antenna. Can someone please upload the diagram for disconnecting the power from the antenna at the antenna mast (trunk)?
Old 12-16-10, 06:18 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Take a look at this thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...roblems-2.html I believe there are comments that apply.
Old 12-28-10, 02:08 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally unplugged the power to the antenna (no more noise when switching stations ). I replaced the extending antenna with an after market stubby antenna for aesthetics. Radio quality seems to be as good as it was previously. *UPDATE: After driving it for a while after the install, I can tell that radio signal is not as strong as it was before I installed the stubby* Here are the steps with pics to unplug antenna:

1. From VVTiBob, I took out existing antenna per these PDF Instructions.
2. Opened the trunk and took out the floor/wall lining. Just look for all the screws and plugs, it's fairly simply. You'll need a Star Key to get one of the screws off, auto stores carry these. You'll need to disconnect the trunk light (attached to lining) and disconnect drain tube (attached to lining)
3. Unplugged the power to the antenna (see pic)

Name:  1228101427acop.jpg
Views: 5215
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  1228101427bcopy.jpg
Views: 5578
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  1228101427copy.jpg
Views: 5255
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  1228101540.jpg
Views: 4830
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  1228101540b.jpg
Views: 5053
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  1228101540acopy.jpg
Views: 4888
Size:  100.1 KB

Last edited by redliner8; 01-12-11 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Radio signal strength
The following users liked this post:
JohnSenior (12-12-21)
Old 12-28-10, 03:31 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice mod! I like it!! You even updated your signature! LOL Quick work too

You should paint your chrome bezel around the antenna black to match your paint or remove it. Kinda looks out of place with the rubber antenna now IMO.
Old 12-28-10, 03:57 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks! Good idea about painting...I have the whole week off work so I have time to kill.
Old 12-28-10, 04:50 PM
scdroptop

You may need to apply a small amount of primer on it with a touch up brush...then I'd get your touch up paint at Toyo dealer (cheaper than Lexus) with your paint code to do it right.
Old 12-29-10, 04:54 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My antenna just broke last week and I have received a replacement mast and was going to install it today (most of the mast cable is stuck in the motor) but now I am undecided if I want to go with a chrome stubby or the OEM mast since I have to remove the entire antenna to get the mast cable out. Thanks Redliner8!
Old 12-29-10, 03:49 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by srqmark
I am undecided if I want to go with a chrome stubby or the OEM mast
You're welcome. I would go with the stubby or just unplug the OEM so it doesn't extend.

scdroptop, I painted the decorative nut black. I think it looks better:
Name:  1229101555.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  88.7 KB
Old 12-29-10, 04:22 PM
scdroptop

yeah! very cool!!! looks oem now!
Old 12-29-10, 05:48 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My antenna just broke last week and I have received a replacement mast and was going to install it today (most of the mast cable is stuck in the motor)
It must be the cold weather. Mine broke Dec. 20th and it also broke off in the motor. I hated to remove so much of the trunk interior to get to it, but bit the bullet and installed it Sunday. Now here's where I get the DA award. After removing, fixing and reinstalling the motor, I forgot to plug in the antenna RCA plug. Had to take the trunk interior apart a second time. So don't be rushed like me...plug in both the power and the antenna plug.
Old 12-29-10, 11:28 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Poqman
It must be the cold weather. Mine broke Dec. 20th and it also broke off in the motor. I hated to remove so much of the trunk interior to get to it, but bit the bullet and installed it Sunday. Now here's where I get the DA award. After removing, fixing and reinstalling the motor, I forgot to plug in the antenna RCA plug. Had to take the trunk interior apart a second time. So don't be rushed like me...plug in both the power and the antenna plug.
craaap no good. best to not rush. Although i'll admit, i took out the rubber mallet putting the lining back into place. some of those fasteners took some force lol
Old 12-30-10, 10:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
Don't you just hate that when it happens. Forgetting to do a step and immediately realizing it after everything is tucked in?

Happened to me many times. Take your time. As the saying goes, measure twice, cut once.
Old 12-30-10, 10:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
You're welcome. I would go with the stubby or just unplug the OEM so it doesn't extend.

scdroptop, I painted the decorative nut black. I think it looks better:
This definitely reminds me of the antenna mod I did for my son's 1995 Camry. Raplaced the antenna with a Honda S2000 mast, complete with mods, looks professionally installed. When the Camry was totalled, I yanked the antenna out, like I have a place to put it. It just looks good.

Quick Reply: Disconnect Power Antenna???