SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run Flat Tire Wear Claim

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 08:20 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flat Tire Wear Claim

Lexus' disclaimer on run-flats...."wear may be substantially less than 15,000 miles"

I have about 10,000 miles and the tires look OK - is anyone wearing out their run-flats? How many miles did you get?
Old 07-31-02, 08:24 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Thumbs up

I've the same experience. Just over 10,000 miles, and the tires show little wear. They are wearing smoothly, no cupping or feathering. No vibrations, and car tracks straight as an arrow.
I still expect to replace them when they wear out with conventional tires.
Old 08-01-02, 03:05 AM
BlackLXSC
Rookie

I had to replace both front tires at 10k as a result of serious cupping. Both tires (which were rotated from the rear at 5k) were distored enough towards the inside, causing some serious vibrations.

Of the 10k, I had put on about 2800 in a span of 9 days by driving from New Jersey to Nova Scotia and back (what a drive ). I had no problems on the drive up to Nova Scotia. Around 9k, I started to notice an excessive amount of tire noise from the front tires, and by 9500 miles, the car was starting to vibrate quite a bit.

On the way back to Jersey, stopped by the South Portland dealership in Maine, and was told by the service manager that tread wear on the tire was normal except for the cupping. He recognized this as a problem with the tire and recommended that I talk to my dealer, about replacing the two front tires at no cost (this was partly based on us owning multiple lexus vehicles - I guess customer loyalty does count somewhere).

My dealer eventually replaced both tires under warranty, but not before saying that this was a result of harsh cornering. Now, some of us may find this rather complimentary, but my wife did not. For some dumb reason, we actually drive the SC (still our youngest baby) gentler than any of our other cars. The dealer initially offered to replace one tire under warranty, and asked us to pay for the other, and after another conversation with my wife, decided to cover both under warranty.

Having blown a tire once (pothole issues) on a Sunday morning at 1:30 am, and being able to get home safe on the run-flats, it made our decision rather simple to continue with the run-flats. Another suggestion - rotate tires every 3.5k - if it helps in evening out the wear on all four tires.

The new tires were put back on the front. I am planning on rotating the new tires to the back around 13.5k.

It will be interesting to see how long the remaining original set of tires hold up.
Old 08-01-02, 06:07 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default No wear yet

I have about 9,000 miles, and had the tires rotated (by the deatler) recently. I looked at them carefully a few weeks ago, just after a drive from Ohio to the east coast, and was somewhat surprised to see no substantial tire wear of any kind.

I had been told to expect maybe 10,000 miles, but even with a lot of pretty hard cornering, it looks to me like these could be good for 10,000 more.

At the rate I drive this car, that will be another 15 or 20 months.

Which is fine with me.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-01-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-02-02, 08:58 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Default Brand of run flats??

Are there only 2 brands available in this size in the run flats? My car has Bridgestones and I know Goodyear also makes one in this size. Yokohama makes one for the Corvette, but not in our size. I only have 1,000 miles on the car and really like it . My past experience with these 2 brands has not been optimal, however. Are there other brands? If not could you please compare the Bstone and Gyears?
Old 08-03-02, 12:10 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RF Tire Wear

Just had my 15,000 service. ....which includes alignment. My service tech said I have at least another 10,000 left on my run-flats. They've been rotated 3 times, incl this service. I'm hoping that by the time they wear out, Lexus will have come up with a "reasonable" conversion kit for conventionals. P.S. That alignment job is important. What with the HARD RIDE on the run-flats, the wheels can easily go out of align.....and thats a sure way to increased tire wear. Would like to hear from the owners with the HIGHEST number of miles