SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Valet Key or Master key.. need help.

Old 11-15-10, 07:20 AM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valet Key or Master key.. need help.

First thanks for trying to help. I have one key, is it a master or valet key? Ive been reading posts for an hour, and my head is spinning.

Just bought a beautiful 2002 SC430 blue with saddle. Had to drive 1000 miles to get it. It was worth the trip.

My car only has one key. It is an aftermarket key made by Ingenuity, and it was NOT cut by the dealer. It looks to be cut by hand or something similar. It has no buttons. Just a black plastic head.

-It will lock and unlock the glove compartment
-It will lock and unlock the center arm rest.
-It will NOT extinguish the security light. When I drive, the security lights flashes, and never goes out.

I want to buy more keys.

Will this key satisfy the requirements of a "master" key, allowing me to program more keys with the door/foot dance?

Can Lexus make me a master FOB key, with remote?

Thanks so much. Ive been reading about this for hours, and cant figure out what this key will and will not do.
Old 11-15-10, 08:09 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTexas7
-It will NOT extinguish the security light. When I drive, the security lights flashes, and never goes out.
That third statement is very odd.

I have both Master and Valet keys for mine. Both make the security light go out - When a Master key is inserted into the ignition, the security light goes out immediately. When a Valet key is inserted into the ignition, the security light goes out after like 2 seconds.
Old 11-15-10, 11:11 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thanks for trying to help. I have one key, is it a master or valet key? Ive been reading posts for an hour, and my head is spinning.

Just bought a beautiful 2002 SC430 blue with saddle. Had to drive 1000 miles to get it. It was worth the trip.

My car only has one key. It is an aftermarket key made by Ingenuity, and it was NOT cut by the dealer. It looks to be cut by hand or something similar. It has no buttons. Just a black plastic head.

I want to buy more keys.

Will this key satisfy the requirements of a "master" key, allowing me to program more keys with the door/foot dance?

Thanks so much. Ive been reading about this for hours, and cant figure out what this key will and will not do.
Hi Jeff,

It would seem to me that your problem is the 3rd party key. IMO you simply do not know just what it is/is not programmed to do/not do.

I would suggest that you take all of your ownership papers, insurance papers, etc AND your high limit credit card ( ) & go down to your local dealer and see if you can get a couple of Lexus keys.

On a personal note: I just hate these type of 3rd party 'things,' they never seem to do what the sales guy said that they would do.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 11-15-10, 11:33 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This might be your solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...item43a30e90b5

EDIT: Maybe this smart keymaker only works for the newer Lexus keyless smart key.

Last edited by talwang; 11-15-10 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 12:41 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Yes, its baffling. My neighbor has a 430 as well, and we couldn't figure this out by comparing keys. I dont mind taking it to the dealer, I just want to have my facts straight when I call them on the phone. I called last week (North Houston Lexus), and all I said was that I needed a new key, their answer was $275, and buy it up front. However, after reading this forum, it sounds like this might be more complicated. Dont want to buy their key, then get some explanation why it wont work. What kind of key do I have, and what can they do or not do based on this aftermarket key? Is it possible that the security light staying on/blinking when I drive is unrelated to the key?

Ohh.. I think this car was a repo. Did any of you have their car repoed in South Florida about a month ago? Still have the keys you want to sell me? LOL
Old 11-15-10, 01:13 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Ok.. called a 2nd Lexus Dealer, Westside Houston. $260 for a new key, assuming its a master. If it isnt, $229 to "flash" the system, and start over. Then reprogram my aftermarket key, and buy their key for $260. He said he wont know its a master until they attempt to program the new key. If the new key doesnt program, its not a master, and we go to the flash method. Does that sound correct? Thats better new then I expected, but it would be nice to get everyone's second opinion. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-15-10, 01:22 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

It pays to call each Lexus dealer. Sterling Lexus Houston doubts its a master key. He says $ 365 to flash the system and get a master key. No guarantee the old one will work though. So I still only have one key, but it will be a real Lexus key, and a master at that. Westside wants over $500.

So the question remains... is there a way for me to tell if its a master key? If it isnt, what is it? Does it even have a chip inside?
Old 11-15-10, 02:11 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I have one key, is it a master or valet key?

Since it has no buttons and won't open the glove compartment or the center arm rest, it sounds like this is a valet key.

If a Lexus dealer makes you a key, it ought to work. They typically stand behind their work, if they are a good dealer.

<<< correction 11/16/10 >>>

Oops, just realized you said that it did open the arm rest & glove compartment. (Dooh!) That only slightly changes my answer. The fact that the key opens them means that it was cut correctly to open them. That is a mechanical feature not an electronic feature, like the master key qualification is.

The fact that it doesn't have the three control buttons (unlock, lock & trunk) likely means that it is a valet key and not the master key. However, you will have to have Lexus or someone else with qualified equipment to verify that as I don't know how the electronics inside the key are configured.

Last edited by Harold57; 11-16-10 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Making corrections to answer.
Old 11-15-10, 04:40 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to buy more keys.

If the security light does not go out than that is saying that it is not a master and is not seeing the chip..... I am really confused that the car even starts in that mode. I sure hope the Repo Man did not do something to the security system. BTW, if Lexus will reflash the car for $229 and sell you a master for another $260.. I would jump on that! You might even go for two keys at the same time and I bet the second one would be a lot cheaper.....GL
Old 11-15-10, 06:18 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Its very odd that this key can lock the glove compartment, but does not extinguish the security light. I just want to know my options and the situation before seeing a dealer. As far as the repo man.. yes, I am also concerned. Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing. Did he reflash the key, or just disable something. I did notice that the ODB plug under the dash had its dust cap removed. When I bought the car, I knew it was going to be $300 for a new key and got the dealer to lower the price an extra $300 at the last minute because of the key. I still love the car, and knew that a 2002 would have issues like many 8 year old cars.
Old 11-17-10, 09:58 AM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Doing more research and making more phone calls.

The car has 2 security lights, the one near the mirror button, and the large one on top of the dash. The dash light never comes on.

car locked and parked: mirror light remains on steady, dash light out
when driving: mirror light flashes, dash light out

The alarm works, it does sound if I unlock door from the inside, after locking it, and waiting a minute.

Called a local locksmith. He says worst case is $350 to pull and flash the ECU.

Valet key: A valet key is determined by the grooves on the side of the key.

Im not too worried about the immobilizer function. As long as I can make more keys, the car runs, and the alarm works, Im not concerned about the little lights, or if the immobilizer works. I live and park in secure places, and use my SUV most of the time anyway.
Old 11-17-10, 09:46 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by farkas
If the security light does not go out than that is saying that it is not a master and is not seeing the chip..... I am really confused that the car even starts in that mode. I sure hope the Repo Man did not do something to the security system. BTW, if Lexus will reflash the car for $229 and sell you a master for another $260.. I would jump on that! You might even go for two keys at the same time and I bet the second one would be a lot cheaper.....GL
+1 on these prices! whoa!

Can you do the ECU flash, and buy the key/transponder on eBay and have them cut it to save $100? I can send you links if you need them. This price is cheaper than a used/reman ECU!
Old 11-28-10, 12:26 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

I ordered one valet key and one remote key with remote buttons off ebay from

http://myworld.ebay.com/remotez4less/

Good price and fast shipping. I got the remote programmed to open the doors using a combination of the instructions on here, and the one that came with the remote. I have not had the keys cut yet, so I have not programmed the transponder/chip yet. I am still hoping my one key is a master, and will not require the ECU reflash.

Is a master required to program the remote, or just the ignition or both?

My key was able to program a new remote, I havent had it cut yet, so I have not attempted to program the ignition part and start the car with the new key.

What is the maximum number of keys that can be programmed to start the car?

I plan on having 2 remote/FOB keys, and 3 valet type(no remote) keys. If Im going to have the keys cut, I might as well have some spares. I like to keep one at home, and one at the office, just in case I lock my keys in the car, or someone needs to move it for me.
Old 11-28-10, 06:19 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Each key has 2 codes: the immobiliser code and the wireless code. If you have lost all of the registered master keys, you cannot do additional registrations or deletions. So it sounds like you still have a master.

It is possible to register up to four "recognition" codes. Registering a fifth time erases the first one and so on. And, according to the FSM, it's possible to register up to 5 master key codes and 3 sub codes.
Old 12-05-10, 02:21 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Good news and bad news.

My only key, an aftermarket key, doesnt seem to be a master. I found a local locksmith that was able to clone my key. I told him my story, and he said it didnt matter valet or master. If I had a working key, he could clone it inside his store. He didnt need to touch my car. Sure enough, he cut me a new key, and cloned it with a special machine in his shop. It worked. I bought one key off ebay that I was not able to program myself to start the car. The security light next to the steering wheel would blink three times. Two quick flashes, pause, then a third flash and repeat.

This was a non-fob key. He says programming a FOB key will be different. They are built different. I will be going back next week to get a FOB key cut and programmed if possible.

So, there is hope. If you have a working key, no matter valet or master, the right locksmith can cut it and program a new one for less then $100. But that was for a non-remote key, no buttons.

Here is a very helpful and informative website about transponder keys, and Lexus Keys.
Locksmith Charley
http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html

Im pretty sure the reason why my key would not program is because there was no transponder inside my $12 ebay key. My key just had a plastic plug inside.

Non remote/fob keys have a small transponder chip inside. It will look like a narrow glass pill or a small odd shape plastic piece. If you dont have one inside, there is nothing to program, and start your car.

Last edited by JeffTexas7; 12-06-10 at 07:57 PM.