SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

STOLEN RIMS! I need an aftermarket alarm!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 04:45 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STOLEN RIMS! I need an aftermarket alarm!

Last week i walked out of my girlfriend's apartment to find my SC sitting on cinder blocks! My 20's were gone with the locks and wheel nuts on the ground to add insult to injury. Another guy was victimized as well with his 22" wheels stolen off his truck. We were in a upscale gated apartment complex.. in a covered parking deck, 3 levels up.. with a police substation across the street!!

My question to CL is.. who has an aftermarket alarm on their car? I need to add one becuz the factory one didn't detect the car being jacked up. Im thinking about getting an alarm that hopefully does what LuxLink does as far as lowering the top, windows and remote start. Does anyone have this setup?

BTW.. Im ordering some 3 piece Savini's.. gotta wait a month though
Old 10-30-10, 09:53 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were they covered by your insurance? Hopefully.
Old 10-31-10, 01:51 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace_91
Were they covered by your insurance? Hopefully.
Yes, I always add my customizations to my policy. It really doesn't affect the premium much and it makes recovery from a loss automatic as long as you retain your receipts.
Old 10-31-10, 06:22 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That really sucks. One of the news shows here just did a piece on the increase in wheels being stolen, given how much they are worth nowadays.

I shouldn't have read your post before bed. Last night I dreamed that my wheel got stolen. Just one. The driver's side front. While the car was up on a service lift. Was wondering how I could put on the spare while the car was still up on the lift (logic not part of dreams).
Old 10-31-10, 09:42 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

007 I am very sorry to hear this! Thankfully you are wise to have them insured---many don't. Good thing no one got hurt and there was not any damage. Sounds like some true professionals. Question: How do they take off the wheels with wheel locks???
Old 11-01-10, 09:36 AM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate seeing these posts when ppl are getting there wheels stolen it scares me. I deff need to get the added insurance it hink thats on todays agenda. I am getting a alarm installed tomorrow. When i was going over which alarm i wanted i inquired about getting the one where it detects the car getting jacked up. i was talked out of it cause the installer told me that in order for that to work the car would have to be jacked up certain degrees to be effective and that it is likely that if the person attemping to steal the wheels jacked it up a few inches so the wheel can be taken off it woudnt trip the tilt feature of the alarm and that most of the time this feature is useless. And also that if a professional wants to get your wheels this deff would not stop them. As far as a non pro thief the alarm and wheel locks should do the job. Does anyone on here have the tilt feature and if so how well does it work ?
Old 11-01-10, 10:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

007, I'm definitely sorry to hear about your loss and inconvenience. The recovery time is such a pain (speaking from experience). It is amazing that blantant criminal activity like that occurs in the most unlikely locations. Are there any security cameras in the vicinity that may have caught them in action?
Old 11-01-10, 02:07 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What complex in Atlanta? Was it Park Towers? Just guessing since you said there's a police station right across the street.
Old 11-02-10, 04:39 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
That really sucks. One of the news shows here just did a piece on the increase in wheels being stolen, given how much they are worth nowadays.

I shouldn't have read your post before bed. Last night I dreamed that my wheel got stolen. Just one. The driver's side front. While the car was up on a service lift. Was wondering how I could put on the spare while the car was still up on the lift (logic not part of dreams).
Funny Dream... then again, maybe not
Old 11-02-10, 04:42 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
007 I am very sorry to hear this! Thankfully you are wise to have them insured---many don't. Good thing no one got hurt and there was not any damage. Sounds like some true professionals. Question: How do they take off the wheels with wheel locks???

I dont know.. the locks were left on the ground. They didnt have a scratch on them. The car hasnt been to a shop to be serviced or anything at all this year. These were Pros.
Old 11-02-10, 04:46 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
007, I'm definitely sorry to hear about your loss and inconvenience. The recovery time is such a pain (speaking from experience). It is amazing that blantant criminal activity like that occurs in the most unlikely locations. Are there any security cameras in the vicinity that may have caught them in action?

Yelp, it was within view of the my car and the other one that was vandalized. Another CL member STE i think is his name had his GS350 (22' Lexani) and the car parked next to him was a LS460 (22" Asanti). both were on blocks. He posted pics. He said they spray painted the security camera. He was in a high rise condo in Buckhead. Crazy thing is, he replaced the wheels and 2 weeks later they returned and stole the wheels off another car. not his, he had installed a Viper
Old 11-02-10, 04:47 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by m3nv
What complex in Atlanta? Was it Park Towers? Just guessing since you said there's a police station right across the street.

Tuscany at Lindberg
Old 11-03-10, 10:27 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007
Tuscany at Lindberg
I just heard from a buddy that lives at Eclipse on Pharr Rd that their garage was ransacked as well. They took off with some rims and broke in to a few cars. I wouldnt be surprised to see a few sets of high dollar wheels on craigslist sometime soon lol.