SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buying a SC430... What do i look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 01:02 PM
DrLexus88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a SC430... What do i look for?

Hello everyone, I am pulling the trigger on a SC430 in the next few day and I want to make sure I am getting a reliable car. What should I have my mechanic check for in addition to normal wear and tear items? The car only has 16K miles but it's a 2004. I think I am going to offer $27,500, I would appreciate any feedback on the price and color combo.

Here's the car - 2004 Lexus SC430
Old 10-22-10, 02:27 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous color combo. From what I've read, mileage is more important than year because there were very few changes during the model years. I don't know what year the 6-speed auto tranny was put in, but that is an advantage.

Having said that, if the car was well maintained, go for it. I got an 04 RX back in March and it drives like an new car. Good luck, and again, classy color combo...
Old 10-22-10, 02:44 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you look for ???? Good looking chicks throwing themselves on the hood
Old 10-23-10, 01:09 AM
DrLexus88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks TF, congrats on the RX. Coach I wouldn't mind that either these days.
Old 10-23-10, 02:22 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Price and color is about right for Florida. Now things to check.

1st Tires ... because of some unusual geometry and camber the inside edge of the tires wear quickly. Speaking of tires...runflat are the norm, but runflats usually give an uncomfortable ride. If they are run flats there's probably no spare in the trunk.

Next check both hood and trunk struts for their ability to keep both open. Gas stuts wear out over time so you should lift both the trunk and hood.

Sound system, more specifically the door woofer, they're not very good even though they allegedly Mark Levinson stuff... the cones suffer deterioration and "buzz" with lower frequency or bass. if you replace them with OEM they're about $225 just for the speaker. There also special...8 ohm units if you try and replace them with 4 ohm ones you'll wreck the amp.

Your 2004 may not have access to NEW electronics like IPODs or bluetooth without after market equipment.

While the car only has 16K it still has all the years...wonder if maintenance was done based on age, not miles???

come to think of it this discussion has come up a few times before....you should probably take a little time and read this previous thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...c-430-a-3.html
Old 10-23-10, 05:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

With that few miles, I don't think you need to worry about anything mechanical. As long as no wrecks, you will be fine. Consumer Reports rates our car as the most reliable auto. I have had mine for four years and with 55,000 miles, a 2002, have had nothing go wrong. As far as the color combination, it is beautiful. I have the same combo but in silver. It is the only two colors that I would choose. It will never show dirt. See you are in FL. and you will get many enoyable topless rides year round. The blonde wood interior is great. I was told Lexus discontinued it because it was to expensive. If the front has not chips, I would think seriously about getting the 3M product called Invisble Shield. I have it on both of our cars and a wise investment.
Attached Thumbnails Buying a SC430... What do i look for?-2675867_25.jpg  
Old 10-23-10, 11:54 PM
DrLexus88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link Bob, very useful information. And Fred I agree with your color choice, I hope I have many enjoyable drives on the 95.
Old 10-24-10, 02:29 AM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ecru seats look dirty sooner and older sooner.....
Old 10-24-10, 02:05 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

ECRU does dirty easily, especially b/c the cars a vert.
Old 10-24-10, 02:24 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read the description on the site, it says it had bluetooth? 2004 usually doesn't..
Old 10-27-10, 04:39 PM
DrLexus88
Driver School Candidate

I will be seeing the car this weekend (I will let you know how the seats look in person). Bluetooth isn't a deal-breaker either.
Old 10-27-10, 05:38 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

The KBB price private party is $27,000 in excellent condition. Personal opinion, if the car looks great, I would not let $1,000 be a deal breaker. You will enjoy the car for many many years. The ecru, light tan seats do not show dirt. They are cool with the top down and do not show specs of white that black seats do. I clean and condition mine about every three months and I keep my care meticulously clean.
Old 10-28-10, 11:50 PM
DrLexus88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Fred, I would pay a few extra bucks if I fall in love with it.
Old 10-29-10, 07:25 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
The KBB price private party is $27,000 in excellent condition. Personal opinion, if the car looks great, I would not let $1,000 be a deal breaker. You will enjoy the car for many many years. The ecru, light tan seats do not show dirt. They are cool with the top down and do not show specs of white that black seats do. I clean and condition mine about every three months and I keep my care meticulously clean.
I want the ecru seats you have in your car, Fred!

They don't show dirt? You must have plastic on them LOL

I think mine got dirty when I looked at them! Anytime the leather creases (which all leather does and will) the dirt fills the crease and the ecru looks especially dirty. I had a 02 red/ecru with 20k+ miles and little old granny had it before me and I put about 5k on it in 3 years and had the seats re-dyed twice. ****If you get ecru, the way to go is just drive it, enjoy it, and pay to have the seats re-dyed as you go*** or do like some others have and do it yourself. If you love the ecru, then get it.

I couldn't agree more about enjoying the car, but I have to say out of all the leather interior colors I have ever had in my life-over 30 cars---the ecru has been the worst color to keep clean. Black is always the best IMO...saddle is nice...my red on the PB is nice too. I have dark brown in my FX35 and I love that. I suspect the camel would be a little less forgiving too. The ecru is GREAT in the summer time and seems like it never gets hot!
Old 11-15-10, 11:03 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a 2002. Learned quite a few things on this website, and looking at many used SC430.

repair history: You can look up the Lexus service history yourself.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...cle-summary.do
Create an account, enter your VIN, and go to "my lexus". You can see everything Lexus did to your car.

What to look at on the car:
- FM antenna on trunk. Does it go up and down when the radio is on and off
- keys: does it have a fully functional FOB key. You want/need a "master key"
- manuals: not needed, you can download them .pdf on the mylexus website
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...nual-search.do
- power seats: make sure both sides work, all functions
- power flip doors: make sure radio door and Nav wood doors function
- radio: BRING A CD and test the CD player. No error messages
- wipers: they work and spray water out both nozzles
- hood/trunk shocks: the shocks wear out, and cant hold the hood/trunk open
- tires: are they run flat? Are they the same brand. Just something to note.
- VIN numbers: There are VIN stickers all over the car. Make sure they ALL match, and match the for sale add and your CARFAX report. both doors, both sides of engine
- headrests: look behind the back seat headrests for leather splits
- look under car the car. It should be black. No overspray from a touch up job.
- paint: look at the fenders and near headlights closely for an orange peel look in the paint.
- paint: look inside the door jambs for a paint color change.
- wheel lock: it has the "key" to take the wheel lock lugs off
- look under the car for damage. Did it bottom out? Front grill cracked?
- check NAV system: does it turn on?
- Tire pressure warning light: does it go out after you start the car? Does the system work? let the air out of one tire and watch the light. It should come on around. Inflate the tire back to 32 psi. The light goes out after about 5 minutes on its own.
- look at the MPG. Should be above 16. If not, hold the trip button to reset it. Drive around the block. 17 city / 23 hwy.
- serpentine belt: look at the inside of belt for major cracking
was the timing belt changed at 6 years or 90k miles. Thats about $900.
- no master key? $250
- antenna busted? $50
- look inside the fuse box. Spare fuses present and good. Spares missing or burnt out? Why?
- check cruise control above 35 mph or so.
- check ALL the lights
- check the parking brake and horn (those with state inspections)
- look up under the dash for rust on the steering shaft. May have light rust.
- do all four rims match? Why not?
- cigarette lighters. Check they both work. One inside arm rest compartment.
- check the oil. Very dark dark brown is bad.
- look inside the engine area with a flashlight for any frame damage, paint overspray
- check both power mirrors, up down left right

When comparing equal cars from the same year. I noticed most dealers vary the price by around $1000 per 10k miles. An equal car with 90K miles is worth about $1000 more then one with 100k.

Make a spread sheet of dealer cars for sale. Real dealers. Not some tiny place on a grass lot. They know what the cars are worth.

ebay: dont "buy it now" unless you have seen it in person. Just bid what its worth, and leave it at that. If the reserve isnt met, the dealer will likely email you a second chance offer. Confirm its a legit offer, and not a scam email. Try and view the car before a deposit is required. If its a bad deal, walk away. Better to get a bad ebay comment then lose $500 or more. Besides, you walked away and didnt leave a deposit for a good reason anyway.

Hope that helps. Just spent two weeks shopping and saw lots of different issues. Im not a Lexus pro or mechanic. Just my opinion and comments.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430... What do i look for?