SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How will these fit / look?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 06:02 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How will these fit / look?

I was reading the wheel fitment guide and I'm sort of lost on whether what an aggressive or professional look was. (Noob)

I wanted to purchase some wheels and was wondering if these will fit / look good?

F: 20x9 +38 / R: 20x10.5 +40 with Falken FK452’s tires F: 245/35/20 / R: 275/30/20

My car is NOT lowered and was wondering if they'd look okay without being lowered.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-10, 08:20 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those wheels and offset should fit fine on your car. Its a conservative offset.
Old 10-05-10, 08:40 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

These are the ones I wanted to get

I hope with that offset and non-lowered it will look okay.
Old 10-06-10, 11:40 AM
ALBINO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Iamtheodor, What would a set of those with the tires cost?
Old 10-06-10, 01:20 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks are subjective. but in my opinion, it won't look good. the rear end especially has a huge gap between the tire and wheel well. if you don't have the budget for coilovers, lowering spring will work. they may shorten the life of your shocks a bit and they won't handle as well as coilovers, but they're better than nothing.

one other issue with an open face wheel is you'll be able to see the brakes. stock brakes are an eye sore. at a minimum, you'd want to replace your rotors (they'll be rusty) and paint your calipers. if you have the money, a big break kit looks pretty bad ***.

you might want to check the classifieds on this forum for used wheels. you can probably pick some up for half the price of new. and stretch your budget a little further.

as for conservative vs. aggressive, aggressive offsets will push the wheels more flush with the fenders and give you a bigger lip. conservative offsets will be set further in the wheel well. in general, the more flush the wheels are, they better they look. but you get more issues with rubbing.

one other thing to consider, that wide of rear wheel will likely sap your torque and slow you down off the line. you might want to go a bit more narrow.

Last edited by Yes; 10-06-10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 01:42 PM
ausbun
Driver

Default Those torque-sapping tires

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
one other thing to consider, that wide of rear wheel will likely sap your torque and slow you down off the line.

I've read this in other threads on the forums and find it somewhat incredible. I'm not saying it's not true, just hard to believe from my own experience.

Does it mean the engine doesn't have enough power to spin the tires because there's too much traction? Does this translate into improved cornering, to the point where it would be almost impossible to slide out of a turn?
Old 10-06-10, 02:06 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by ausbun
I've read this in other threads on the forums and find it somewhat incredible. I'm not saying it's not true, just hard to believe from my own experience.

Does it mean the engine doesn't have enough power to spin the tires because there's too much traction? Does this translate into improved cornering, to the point where it would be almost impossible to slide out of a turn?
The wider your tires, the greater surface area is contacting the road and the more friction/resistance you'll experience off the line. My rears are 9.5" and it's almost impossible to spin them off the line unless it's an unusually slick road or i'm going around a corner. Any wider and you're increasing resistance beyond the engine's ability to overcome that resistance, slowing you down.

As far as cornering goes, wider tires will give you more grip. But I have yet to slide in mine, so it's probably overkill.
Old 10-06-10, 02:34 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
looks are subjective. but in my opinion, it won't look good. the rear end especially has a huge gap between the tire and wheel well. if you don't have the budget for coilovers, lowering spring will work. they may shorten the life of your shocks a bit and they won't handle as well as coilovers, but they're better than nothing.

one other issue with an open face wheel is you'll be able to see the brakes. stock brakes are an eye sore. at a minimum, you'd want to replace your rotors (they'll be rusty) and paint your calipers. if you have the money, a big break kit looks pretty bad ***.

you might want to check the classifieds on this forum for used wheels. you can probably pick some up for half the price of new. and stretch your budget a little further.

as for conservative vs. aggressive, aggressive offsets will push the wheels more flush with the fenders and give you a bigger lip. conservative offsets will be set further in the wheel well. in general, the more flush the wheels are, they better they look. but you get more issues with rubbing.

one other thing to consider, that wide of rear wheel will likely sap your torque and slow you down off the line. you might want to go a bit more narrow.
Thanks Liquid, that was extremely helpful. You answered all my questions

I will probably spend my money towards coilovers at the moment since I am content with my Twisted-Star wheels.
Old 10-06-10, 03:16 PM
Yes

no problem. personally, i wouldn't bother with coilovers with stock wheels. from a looks standpoint, i don't think it's that noticeable until you put on bigger wheels. from a practical standpoint, larger wheels raise your car off the ground due to the larger diameter. coilovers lower it back to about stock height, maybe just a bit lower. if you lower a car running stock wheels, you're going to be too low and scrape like crazy.

your best bet is to keep an eye on the sc430 classifieds for coilovers. and the wheels classifieds for wheels. if you're on a tight budget, you can get used coilovers and wheels for the price of new wheels. if you don't want to mess with the brakes, maybe look into some full face designs.
Old 10-06-10, 06:39 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Now if one of your goals is to improve the handling (like mine was) then I'd say go for coilovers, even if you are just going to keep the stock rims. (I would have done it but ended up getting 20s at the same time)

I find it hard to believe so few people here will spend around $2k on coilovers (which are about the same or a little better in handling than stock) JUST so they can lower their car back to stock height after already spending a few thousands on new wheels. Like one person once posted: " a whole lotta money just to go nowhere (in height)" It's like if you're looking to get those $2k wheels or so, you're really looking at $4k. In my opinion, if you're going to spend $2K for coilovers you should be willing to spend a few hundred more for a LOT better performance.
Old 10-06-10, 06:59 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iamtheodor
I was reading the wheel fitment guide and I'm sort of lost on whether what an aggressive or professional look was. (Noob)

I wanted to purchase some wheels and was wondering if these will fit / look good?

F: 20x9 +38 / R: 20x10.5 +40 with Falken FK452’s tires F: 245/35/20 / R: 275/30/20

My car is NOT lowered and was wondering if they'd look okay without being lowered.

Thanks for the help.
If you like the wheels and price is good then bung a spacer in, otherwise hold out for a nice set in the for sale section.
Old 10-06-10, 08:46 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the advice.

I was also wondering, how many people actually buy 18s and still have it look pretty good. But for the time being, I will probably hold out on wheels/coilovers until I can afford both. Or if I'm lucky I might find both sets for a pretty good deal . Its going to be hard not upgrading the SC for awhile.
Old 10-07-10, 03:20 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What does your name mean lol? is it oakland related?
Old 10-07-10, 06:07 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GammaLex
What does your name mean lol? is it oakland related?
Haha nah, basically I Am Theodork (real name is Theodore). Howeverrr ClubLexus only allows a certain number of characters and I didn't realize that at the time of creating it. Got to lazy to change it, so I just kept it.
Old 10-08-10, 04:34 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Which big brake kits are worth purchasing? with the Aussie dollar so strong it looks like some early xmas shopping online for me.

Quick Reply: How will these fit / look?