SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

lost key

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 08:55 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default lost key

My wife lost one of her keys to an 02 SC430. Is my only replacement option the dealer?

TIA

Al
Old 09-16-10, 10:28 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You can pick up replacement keys on eBay however, there is one BIG caveat...

You MUST currently possess a working Master Key (one that will start your car). You need an existing Master Key in order to program additional keys into the car. You can use it to program additional Master Keys or Valet keys. But, if you ONLY have a Valet key, you cannot program additional keys.

This applies to both you AND the dealer. The dealer also has no way to program additional keys into the car without a currently-programmed Master Key.

Last edited by Habious; 09-16-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 10:43 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the response. I do have one master key available. With respect to the prograsmming and cutting of the replacement key, how and / or who is capable of doing this?

Al
Old 09-16-10, 11:30 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus of Rockville, MD
Old 09-16-10, 11:55 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can purchase a blank key on ebay and good lock smiths will be able to cut and program the key. I looked in to this a while back but the savings just werent worth the effort. I just went to Lexus and paid $175 for a new key.
Old 09-16-10, 12:23 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You should call ahead and find a locksmith that can cut a "laser cut key". They're not ACTUALLY cut with a laser (dang, that would be COOL!), it's just what it's called.

In the NoVa area, Baldino's does this...and they've got a ton of locations. Again, make sure you call the location you're going to visit and asking about a "laser cut key"...not every location has the machine, and it's sometimes "broken" (personal experience talking here).

The programming of the key to start the car (the immobilzer chip in the car) and the programming of the buttons on the key (lock, unlock, trunk release) are programmed seperately.

Both can be done own your own, for free, with just the car and the working Master Key (instructions can be found via a CL search). The only thing you can't do is cut the key yourself.

Last edited by Habious; 09-16-10 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added a " ", justbecause
Old 09-16-10, 01:31 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m3nv
You can purchase a blank key on ebay and good lock smiths will be able to cut and program the key. I looked in to this a while back but the savings just werent worth the effort. I just went to Lexus and paid $175 for a new key.
Hi m3,

Right after I bought my car, back in Nov, & got it home, I went to Lexus of Portland ( the only dealer in this area ) about an additional key ( I was given two Master Keys when I bought the car ). They said that it would cost me $300 for another key.

This is why I dislike dealers.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 09-17-10, 04:18 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone said it well earlier...depends on how much time and patience you have. I saved about $85 per key by buying the blank and transponder myself on eBay and programming it myself but then having Lexus cut it. Total out of pocket for this deal was less than $100. I think I paid $59.99 for the key then $30 to cut at Lexus dealer. I called around like crazy in Dallas and couldn't find the right locksmith and didn't want to risk screwing up the key. Lexus Dealer wanted even more to program, of course...I tried to negotiate a free programming with a cut, but they said the technician would have to log in at least 1/2 hour of labor, blah blah blah. BS!!! I did it myself really easy (okay, just easily) in about 15 minutes and some patience. Good luck. Let us know what you find the best "deal" is out there. I could have gone cheaper by finding a locksmith or even getting a used transponder, but I wanted a new, correctly cut key with no issues (but didn't want to pay top retail $$$ either).
Old 12-18-10, 04:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

There was a write up on this. How is it done?

I also need another key. I only have 1 master key.

In one of the posts on keys, there was a link to the supplier.
Old 12-18-10, 04:25 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Instructions for programming keys

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key.
Old 12-18-10, 06:39 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Tfeni,

Does this completely program the key? Meaning, will the trunk button work? Also, where is the best place to buy a valet key?

Thanks
Old 12-18-10, 07:44 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key.
Thanks, next step is to find tha post where the link to the key and cutting service (you just take a picture of the ker and they will cut it). Total $60. Then program yourself. It has worked for some people.

Worst case, take it to Lexus.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-10, 02:16 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

FYI, an 2002-up can be programmed without a master by the dealer. A 2001 cannot.
Old 12-24-10, 07:00 PM
Fashion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key Conpatibility

I also have lost one of my master keys for my 2003 SC430. I purchased a new blank on ebay and have a left over key from my RX330. Can the RX330 transponder be programmed for my SC. The buttons for the RX have a PWR Door text instead of car/trunk open symbol.
Old 12-25-10, 06:01 AM
mandyfig

I also purchased a transponder key from ebay. I appears that the same chip is used for the RX and the SC. I can not wait to get it and get it cut and then I can try the procedure above.

Quick Reply: lost key