SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 Chick Car??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 05:38 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I see it driven by women 10 to 1. Real Guy cars are faster, less comfortable, less reliable, and more aggressive looking. I rather be driving a 911, M6, or SL but I can't deal with the service costs, and the down time given I could not afford one newer than 05. I cross shopped the Vette, and Infinity, they were too cheap inside, and still not as reliable. I broke down in a M3 on a test drive, a Jag convertible at a Jag dealer could not get the top to close. I only paid 23K and at that price nothing could touch it. I have had no issues with the car, now 8 years past build date. With my blade inspired 20s and dark color it looks as tough as it can. Not my dream car when I bought it, but I like it more the longer I own it. Much like our LS it grew on me. I bought a 09 CTS-V last month, already in the shop once. I guess I need a chick car so I can get to work. Another big plus is if I have to I can fit the family in it for short drives. No back seats in most of the other choices.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 09-03-10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 05:56 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys.. I was actually considering the xlr, sl and g37, the 911 is a dream for now as I know maintainance and parts will probably kill me. I used to have a g35 and it sounds like they didn't inprove much by your descriptions. As far as a vette goes for the price I'd rather save and go with a new camaro for the same power but then again I want a roadster leading back to the xlr. Sounds like it may run in to the whole reliability issue. One other car I started to look at is another per se chick car the boxter s. It seems affordable and styling is similar to the 911. Really wish Infiniti would have stepped up to the plate though. 4 seats will almost be a must since I'll be selling the ls.

As mentioned by others how much leg room is there for driver and rear passengers. I'm 6ft tall and need the leg room as well as head clearance. I had to get a sparco seat so I could fit in the s2k a lil better and lowwer.
Old 09-03-10, 06:10 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan858
4 seats will almost be a must since I'll be selling the ls. As mentioned by others how much leg room is there for driver and rear passengers. I'm 6ft tall and need the leg room .
Pick another car. At 5'10 I have the seat all the way back. With my 9 year old daughter behind me I have to move the front seat far enough forward so that I get a lump in my throat from what I pee with.
Old 09-03-10, 08:11 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=KaiserSea1;5763359]I see it driven by women 10 to 1. Real Guy cars are faster, less comfortable, less reliable, and more aggressive looking. I rather be driving a 911, M6, or SL but I can't deal with the service costs QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with Kaiser's statements above. I'd say it's more like 20 to 1 in Dallas! LOL I looked at all the cars above...way overpriced for the dependability, fit/finish and overall longterm ergonomic and aesthetic appeal. The SC is truly unique...but if your # 1 need for a sports car is power/speed than the SC is not for you. If your # 1 need is tech, then forget it. If your # 1 need is dependability or style or comfort and class then we are talking. The SC offers a blend of the best attributes that make up a sports car...it's quick but not blazing fast...it's got some neat tech, but not necessary advanced by now...it's got sexy lines, but it's not a porsche or ferrari...it's extremely dependable, but it's no corrolla to fix...it's got a back seat, but it ain't no Delta 88 backseat!!! It's a blend! Like a Cab/Merlot

I'm 5'10 also (we must have different bodies, obviously) and I have plenty of room...the seat is 3/4th of the way back and I'm not kissing the steering wheel either. I don't sit upright though...probably not best for my back. I prefer to have more of a slight bend to my knees but my arms fairly straight out for comfort. I have a really good buddy who is 6'2 and has no problem in his SC.

This post is funny...I got in hot water a while back for posting the same thing. Perhaps folks were more sensitive then??? EOS, Beetles, A4 Cabrio, Miata, Jetta, Civic Coupe, Accord Coupes, Solara, Soltice, etc etc. I see nothing but ladies driving these cars just as much as SC430's. I get the chick car comment all the time and have no problem with it. I've owned MANY chick cars from rx-7's to g35 to mx-6 to eclipse to sc300/400 and many more. Real men drive white knuckle cars or trucks. I've got a bunch of no-cologne wearing, never-step-foot-in-a-spa kind of buddies who harrass me all the time for having a "chick car" but when they step out of their F250 dually powerstroke and ride in Ebony they love it! But...they always say, "my wife would LOVE this car" he he he

Who cares, right? I remember when I bought my 2004 S2000 Honda and thought I finally had a mainly male "guys car" and this 50 year old woman down the street bought a yellow one just like mine! LOL People like what they like.

Last edited by scdroptop; 09-03-10 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 08:17 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys.. I was actually considering the xlr, sl and g37, the 911 is a dream for now as I know maintainance and parts will probably kill me. I used to have a g35 and it sounds like they didn't inprove much by your descriptions. As far as a vette goes for the price I'd rather save and go with a new camaro for the same power but then again I want a roadster leading back to the xlr. Sounds like it may run in to the whole reliability issue. One other car I started to look at is another per se chick car the boxter s. It seems affordable and styling is similar to the 911. Really wish Infiniti would have stepped up to the plate though. 4 seats will almost be a must since I'll be selling the ls.

As mentioned by others how much leg room is there for driver and rear passengers. I'm 6ft tall and need the leg room as well as head clearance. I had to get a sparco seat so I could fit in the s2k a lil better and lowwer.
If you are at all concerned about reliability the LAST thing you want is a Boxster. In fact, as my friend who was recently searching around the country for a Boxster quickly discovered, there are some TRULY catastrophic motor issues with those (something called an intermediate shaft that Porsche has never truly addressed), the 911 is actually *more* reliable but costs a lot more. However reliable is a relative term there and they both break. Some guys really do have 911s without a single hint of trouble though (as evidenced by Porsche topping the carts in a JD Power study).

I really think you owe yourself the favor of driving the XLR, especially with as much as you need the space. XLRs are EASILY available in the mid 20s and if you want the TOP DOG 469hp XLR-V they are in the low to mid 30s. You won't touch an XLR-V with anything this side of an SL63, in the Grand Tourer category. Its a pretty long car and has a lot of room inside. The only thing I'm not sure about is total head room. As far as reliability, its a pretty straight-forward design all around, so not a whole lot breaks... but much like the SC, when it DOES break, it can be spendy. Again, an extended warranty solves this.
Old 09-03-10, 08:30 PM
scdroptop

I drove several Boxsters and have to say the S is the way to go. You can get a CPO 2008+ for mid to high 30's which is a great bargain. You might be able to get chrono, turbo wheels and some neat leather appointments, perhaps bose and nav on the car for that price (probably some miles...not a garage queen). I researched TO DEATH the rear engine seal issues and got on the pca forums and was blown away with the small percentage of engine failures, but all the big noise made about them. It's kinda like the old adage...you have ten good customer service experiences you don't tell anyone...you have one bad one and you tell ten people!

Boxster is small inside and not sure about the leg room but it seemed like the seating was similar to my old Rx-7's which went WAY back. The problem with our SC's for 6'+ is that the back seat stops the seat from going back anymore.

The 996 bodystyle of the 911 1999-2004 is a little dated now. Interior plastic is very rigid and industrial looking. Guages look like something out of the 80's and a trunk based cd changer and tape holders in the front middle console???? What??? 2005+ 997 series is the way to go. I've been watching them for a while and you cannot touch a C2 cab base for under $50k. What'd i'd love is a C4S cab yellow with black and yellow chrono package and seatbelts. Rear wheels on the C4S are like 11" wide! Sexy car $$$$.

What about a SL55...493hp, 518lbs of Torque. You can get a 2003 for high 20's/low 30's with about 50-60k miles.

Love the XLR blue special edition. Great car...nice luxury to set it apart from a vette, but with the vette engine and you get two cars in one...hard top and convertible. Only problem for me is that the lines are not sexy and classic...too rigid. Love the car though. I think it will be like a Allante in the future. People will marvel at the concept of it and have fond memories but won't be in love with it like a porsche, mbz or lexus.
Old 09-03-10, 09:42 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I drove several Boxsters and have to say the S is the way to go. You can get a CPO 2008+ for mid to high 30's which is a great bargain. You might be able to get chrono, turbo wheels and some neat leather appointments, perhaps bose and nav on the car for that price (probably some miles...not a garage queen). I researched TO DEATH the rear engine seal issues and got on the pca forums and was blown away with the small percentage of engine failures, but all the big noise made about them. It's kinda like the old adage...you have ten good customer service experiences you don't tell anyone...you have one bad one and you tell ten people!
Sort of... We used to say the same thing about the infamous Northstar head bolt issue over at the Caddy forum I'm on (Front wheel drive Northstar, not the RWD), and I found that realistically, almost all of those cars eventually have that problem. The Boxster may be different but if you don't get a CPO and are not a regular Porsche customer, you will be completely HOSED with the cost of a new engine entirely on your back unless you have a SOLID warranty to cover it.

What about a SL55...493hp, 518lbs of Torque. You can get a 2003 for high 20's/low 30's with about 50-60k miles.
I would strongly avoid any mid-2000s Supercharged Mercedes. The Mercs from that generation have problems as it is, and by adding the performance equipment they only get even more finicky. Certainly not a bad choice and an awesome car, but again, it better have a STRONG warranty because things WILL break on a regular basis. I know because I have a S/C 3.2L and my S/C clutch failed at just 46k miles on a 2005 car. 2000.00 repair JUST for the clutch assembly... if the whole S/C had failed, its a $7000.00 part. Intercooler pumps are another common and repeated failure area as the Bosch design is poor.

Of course, all of this advice assumes the O/P genuinely cares about reliability... If not, all of these are great choices to compare against the SC and oodles more fun.
Old 09-04-10, 06:19 AM
thelopez
Rookie

As with any car if you have to ask, it's probably not the right car for you. Due to the nature of this site, you'll get a bunch of bias. Try posting this on an Infinity or Z owners board and see the difference. Also stay away from the blue drinks at the bar, they too don't look too manly.
Old 09-04-10, 06:38 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the leg room issue..

I am 5'9. Jade was sold to my friend who is at least 6.3 ( I will ask him), and he did not move the seat when he drove home 4 1/2 hours. Said he was very comfortable..

So go figure..
Katy
Old 09-04-10, 07:09 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Old pic of my toys.. anyone wanna trade?? hahha

Old and not a very good pic of my S. Love the GPW. Anybody that wants to complain about the ride of their Lexus needs to take a ride in one of these.

Last edited by offroad200; 09-04-10 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 07:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

These days you just have to decide what you like and ignore the rest, unless peer pressure is a real driver for you. IMHO, I believe what we are witnessing now is women feeling freer to go for what they like versus what is (or was) expected. Women are not the stay at home and take care of the kids and house entities that they were in the 50's. I see more and more women driving Jeeps (CJs), Vettes and pickups that you'd only see them driving in an emergency (or under supervision) in the 50's. There are even women race car drivers and pilots now. (There have been women pilots for a long time, but they are no longer a spectical and they are regularly used commercially.)

So is the SC430 a "Chick car"? It depends on how you define a "Chick car". So long as it isn't pink with little frillies hanging around, it is a nongender specific car that everyone seems to enjoy and is attracted to.
Old 09-04-10, 07:55 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

The SL55 is an awesome car but make sure you have lots of warranty. The problem with the SL55 or the SL500 is that Merc decided to in their wisdom to add active suspension. Great concept but when they break its $$$$. My Boss has one (in Australia) and it cost $4000.00 AUD just to fix the leaking front strut at 55k. Throw in $9000.00 for a tranny that loves to drop to first gear at 110km/h for no reason!!!
Old 09-04-10, 08:08 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to think I've "refined"" my taste in vehicles. I've owned a Porsche, Delorean and Corvette, done the resto street racer with a 68 Dodge Charger (440 Magnum), and currently have a 3/4 ton Silverado (for towing my boat and hauling) and a Jeep Wrangler for the off road and beach trips. My 430 fills a niche that none of the others did or do. Above average performance, above average styling and a luxury factor that is impressive. Cars are very personal and personally, I like my 430!!LOL!!
Old 09-04-10, 08:27 AM
Fastmensch
Driver School Candidate

Well all I can say is I have over 100 k miles on the sc and it has been very popular w/ the ladies in the passenger seat...when I'm worried about what the guys think I fire up the 550 hp cobra...and pass them...lol
Old 09-04-10, 11:27 AM
scdroptop

I can't imagine my 2004 S2000 dropped like yours, Bryan858!!! Ouch!!! it is a go-cart stock and you feel like you can roll the window down and touch the ground! LOl lowered it must be even worse!

Quick Reply: sc430 Chick Car??