Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

wheel alignment

Old 08-10-10, 11:37 AM   #1
jimseibel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default wheel alignment

I have a 2006 SC 430 with 20,000 miles on it. The "run flat" tires are wearing on the inside and the dealer says that they need replacing (for almost $2000). The local tire shop agrees, and will sell the tires to me for less, and also throw in an alignment. He says that alignment is the reason for the uneven wear. Makes sense to me. But the dealer says that the wheel on my 2006 SC 430 cannot be aligned, and that the new ones will probably wear the same way. So,anybody know about whether the wheel on my car can be aligned? Who is jerking me around?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jimseibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:17 PM   #2
sixonemale
Pole Position

Kind of funny, we have almost identical cars, SC430 with just over 20,000 miles on it. I recently purchased mine with 16,500 miles. I have also already run into the exact problem that you just encountered. I had my car aligned a couple of months ago and they said that I need four new tires because of the inside tread wear. I looked at the tread wear and have seen much worse. They aligned the car by making slight adjustments to the camber and toe, but did not do anything with the caster because it cannot be adjusted. My inside tread wear is visible, but I have seen much worse and since the alignment I’m now monitoring the tread wear. They also told me the same thing, my tires needed to be replaced. Thus far, after about 2,500 miles of driving, I have not seen any more or measurable tread wear on the inside of my tires. Each RFT that I have retails for about $360, hence one of the reasons, and due to a more comfortable ride, I will be replacing them with conventional tires. As far as the comment they made saying that they cannot be aligned, I’m not sure if that is true. There are several threads in this forum that have previously discussed this issue and if I recall correctly the control arm bushings may have something to do with this inside tread wear if the alignment specifications cannot be met vs. a camber kit.

Last edited by sixonemale; 08-11-10 at 07:14 AM..
sixonemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:50 PM   #3
cjs18
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseibel View Post
But the dealer says that the wheel on my 2006 SC 430 cannot be aligned, and that the new ones will probably wear the same way. So,anybody know about whether the wheel on my car can be aligned? Who is jerking me around?
The 2002 SC service manual references wheel alignment front and rear - at least for toe and camber. Apparently the steering axis inclination is fixed by suspension geometry. It doesn't discuss changing the caster either, only measuring it. The dealer is more or less saying they will align the car but it won't help you with tire wear. Doesn't sound like a very good explanation for a car in this class. I haven't faced this situation (yet) because tire wear and handling have been good, but I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction. For what it's worth I think you could be happier without run-flat tires.
cjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 01:54 PM   #4
Liquid SC

Inside wear is most likely due to camber. The wheels are slightly angled if you don't know what that means. It's adjustable, but not enough to compensate completely.

That said, the last thing you want to do is put new runflats on your car. They ride like wagon wheels. You'll get a much smoother ride with non-runflat tires. You'll save a lot of money and get a better ride if you switch to a tire like michelin pilot sport ps2s.

Or if you want to customize your car a bit, now would be the perfect time to get aftermarket wheels. There are a ton of styles that will enhance the look of your car dramatically.

This thread will give you a good idea of some of the styles out there...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...d-threads.html
Old 08-10-10, 02:10 PM   #5
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseibel View Post
I have a 2006 SC 430 with 20,000 miles on it. The "run flat" tires are wearing on the inside and the dealer says that they need replacing (for almost $2000). The local tire shop agrees, and will sell the tires to me for less, and also throw in an alignment. He says that alignment is the reason for the uneven wear. Makes sense to me. But the dealer says that the wheel on my 2006 SC 430 cannot be aligned, and that the new ones will probably wear the same way. So,anybody know about whether the wheel on my car can be aligned? Who is jerking me around?
The dealer is jerking you around, as usual.

The factory camber and toe setting is for better handling, but is very bad on inside tire wear. I recently changed my alignment setting after the inside tread showing wear, now the tire wear is a lot better now. So yes, the camber and toe is fully adjustable from the factory.

I think one of the reason the dealer say it is not adjustable is because the dealer can't change it away from factory spec. And the factory spec is designed to wear out the tire unevenly. I think it is easier for the dealer to just tell you it is not adjustable, then to tell you the factory suspension is designed to wear out tire unevenly. Then you will get all pissed off and go get a class action lawsuit against Lexus like those NSX boys did back in the days, Lexus will lose and have to go create a milder suspension setting spec, then have to do a free alignment on every single SC430 they sold.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-10 at 02:13 PM..
BNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 10:23 AM   #6
Prasha
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR34 View Post
The dealer is jerking you around, as usual.

The factory camber and toe setting is for better handling, but is very bad on inside tire wear. I recently changed my alignment setting after the inside tread showing wear, now the tire wear is a lot better now. So yes, the camber and toe is fully adjustable from the factory.

I think one of the reason the dealer say it is not adjustable is because the dealer can't change it away from factory spec. And the factory spec is designed to wear out the tire unevenly. I think it is easier for the dealer to just tell you it is not adjustable, then to tell you the factory suspension is designed to wear out tire unevenly. Then you will get all pissed off and go get a class action lawsuit against Lexus like those NSX boys did back in the days, Lexus will lose and have to go create a milder suspension setting spec, then have to do a free alignment on every single SC430 they sold.
Do you know what you set the toe / camber to?
Prasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 10:23 AM