SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2 Flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 12:49 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Flat tires

So I just had michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires put on some new wheels (18x8 with 40 mm offset).
Had this done at my toyota dealer. Filled to 35psi

On the way home several hours later (almost midnight) and 20 miles from home on the fwy the tpms comes on, then starts blinking and beeping.

I figured they screwed up the codes (they used the sensors in old/oem wheels).

But it turns out BOTH REAR TIRES had only 20psi by the time i got to a gas station to check about a half hour later.

Any thoughts? Bad install? Leaky valves?
The toyota dealer is 45 miles from my home. Do I make them pay to flatbed it back there?

Really shaken up about this. We were on way home from my girlfriends 30 hs reunion.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Keith
Old 07-24-10, 01:01 AM
NineTreSc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Keith sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a bad install being that both rear tires are leaking the same amount. Possibly a defective valve or tires. Do a visual check just to see if anything is noticeable(nail, or tires not strait on the rim). I would check the pressure in all four tires then pump them up to 35 psi again and listen for a noticeable leak. Could be as simple as not being filled up properly the first time that set the codes off. Good luck. -Jeff
Old 07-24-10, 01:28 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Thanks Jeff.
I pumped the back ones up to 38 at gas station. Fronts were 36-37 after the 40 mile drive home in 60 degree weather.
I actually kept it at 60 mph all the way home even before the light as i was somehow expecting trouble after reading through some threads here.

Didn't expect THIS kind of trouble. And its 40 miles of pitch dark windy mountain hwy with squat between there and home. Just forest.

Any other thoughts?
Old 07-24-10, 01:30 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

This usually means damaged o-rings for the TPMS device. Meaning they most likely did not have or did not use new o-rings when changing the tires. If as you say they changed the tires I'd absolutely call have the car towed in for repair. It's fine to use the senors, but you're suppose to use new seals/o-rings so they seat properly.
Old 07-24-10, 01:33 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Thanks Bob.

Are o rings simple fix?

I had to go down the street to discount tire to get lugnuts that fit the new wheels. Wasn't expecting that either but glad discount tire was around.
Old 07-24-10, 01:36 AM
VVTiBob

If that's the problem, Yes, but the tire has to come off the wheel again.
Old 07-24-10, 01:40 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

OK. I m guessing you expect fronts might fail as well and to get new ones all around?

Appreciate the trouble shooting
Old 07-24-10, 07:43 AM
VVTiBob

It was late last night... here's some more info... I suppose it also may be improper torque on the mounting nut.
Attached Thumbnails 2 Flat tires-tpms-tire-device.png   2 Flat tires-tpms-tire-device-instructions.png   2 Flat tires-tpms-diagram.png  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-24-10 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-24-10, 08:40 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Very cool, Bob!

Printing out and taking with me
Old 07-24-10, 08:43 AM
HVisone
Rookie

Before getting too involved in fixing, sometimes the tire does not seat properly against the rim when installed, and it will leak but when filled back up again, it will stop.....had this happen twice with F250 truck tires over the years. After the refill, the pressure never went down again....check the tirs again before you go...also might be someone just did not air it up enough at the dealer.......

BTW--I am NOT one of those disconnect the TPMS guys...only reason I might do that is to put in a different aftermarket, some of which are much better than the OEM>

Why??

well to continue the story, never lost any air until about 20k miles later....one of them popped at 70 mph, without any warning....big time...Bridgestones....tore out the lower back portion of the front fender before I could get it stopped. It was sticking out about one foot from where it should have been.

This was during all the fussing about the tires and safety issues, lawsuits and so forth.

Funny is how I had doubts about all that, until the tire popped....I almost took out a car in the adjacent lane (I did not miss him, he reacted to the very loud pop by immediately steering himself off to the left and through the median almost into oncoming cars on 1-45--if he had not done that, my truck would have ruined his 350z......as I could not control it, it was going where it wanted.....if I had been taking a curve or corner, well I might have flipped or who knows what)

$1,100 in body repairs
Now I have a tpms in my truck tires....more accurate as it gives out actual pressure readings that are close to what i manually measure as well as air temps for all 4 tires....

Oh, and yes, it is schzoid, but I drive a 2000 f250 4x4 I have had and loved for more than ten years.... -----dieasel of course...7.3 turbo, the last great diesel engine made by Ford......and a SC430.....
Old 07-24-10, 08:45 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Which part is the O-ring?
Old 07-24-10, 08:48 AM
HVisone
Rookie

outer gromment in the diagram. (fancy name)
Old 07-24-10, 08:54 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Thanks.
Interesting that yours never went flat again.
I'm waiting for a call from tow truck.
Btw- this morning the fronts were down to 32, from 35 cold last night.
I know one thing, i dont wanna drive it more than around the block for now but thats what im going to do to check for leaking

When i think of everything worse that could have happened last night, mostly the safety of loved ones, im feeling a bit lucky this morning.

Great forum here. Smart and helpful folks
Thanks
Old 07-24-10, 09:01 AM
HVisone
Rookie

yes somebody probably messed up if it is still going down in the tires, although the tire pressure and temperature are dependant upon one another which is why I like the aftermarkets, so you have a better idea as to whether it is the temprature inside the tire or the pressure is from a leak....

the sc is not the easiest to do the tpms right in an install as I have read elsewhere in this forum
Old 07-24-10, 09:31 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me, went flat out of no where sitting in the garage after a tire change and when I filled it back up, no more leaks.

Quick Reply: 2 Flat tires