SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dr. Color Chip Review 40$ Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 06:48 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dr. Color Chip Review 40$ Paint Job

I know this post would be more valuable with some before shots, but who wants to take pictures of damage. I was at the flea market and bought a pen by Simonize for 4$ that was made to fill in scratches. It did wonders for a scratch on my SC, So I dug out a kit I bought about six months ago called Dr. Color Chip, and tried to fix the rest of my paint.

The front of our LS had over 100 chips ranging from pin hole sized, to about the size of your small finger nail. I never used the kit because I doubted it would work, sort of an impulse buy. As you can see in the pic, it pretty much covered all the damage, which covered the entire front of the car. The plastic was not too bad, but the metal was awful. I have no idea what my wife drove into, but at 5 inches away it is now 100% repaired.

My SC was not quite as bad, I had about 20 chips in the front. The Midnight Pine does not cover as well as the black, but from 10 inches away it is 100%. From five inches away you can still see that there are chips, but it looks much better than touch up paint. I had a chip on the door which was like a prom date pimple, that could be seen from several feet away. Now you can see it from about five inches away. Very impressed with this kit.

I was not keyed, but someone scratched my SC, about 7 inches long, just hard enough so that you could feel it in the clear coat. The 4$ Simonize scratch pen, with the picture of Billy Mayze, (rest his soul) covered it completely. It fills the scratch with wax, and hardens. I rate both these kits a buy. The Dr. Color Chip cost about 100$ shipped for both cars. I bought a bottle twice the size for our LS, due to the damage, but could have gone with the small bottle for both. After reading mixed reviews on this stuff, I think the determinant is the color of your car. The darker the car, the better it seems to work. Both cars from a few inches away now look flawless. Installation is pretty much fool proof. You paint it by blotting, rub the paint in with gloves, let it dry, and use an activator to harden it and wipe off the exceess. Did both cars in about two hours.

Old 06-28-10, 07:05 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

did you use both the pen and Dr. methods on your SC?
if so, what process did you use? which product did what well?

and they actually fill the chip indentations?
that's the toughest part of paint chip touch-ups.
Old 06-28-10, 08:35 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

I used the pen for scratches and the Dr Chip for chips and a little rash. If the scratch is not through the paint the pen is fine. Dr. chip covered chips down to the metal.
Old 06-28-10, 09:46 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing! Is there a way that you could take the picture of the front bumper with a better camera? I couldn't see much from the cell phone camera.
Old 06-28-10, 09:56 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a look at the Dr. Color Chip website.
the base kit is $40.
not bad at all.
so, you'd endorse the results?
beyond color matching, any objections/problems?
I'm in a 'chippy' area of the country and would like to
believe.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

here's a review with photos:

http://my.is/forums/f171/dr-colorchi...w-pics-383566/

Last edited by jimmer!; 06-28-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 02:40 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stevechumo;
Amazing! Is there a way that you could take the picture of the front bumper with a better camera? I couldn't see much from the cell phone camera.
I am not really set up right now to move photos to the web from an SD card. Check out the web site for good pics. I googled them before I bought the kit and saw pictures from fair to great. What i can say is they matched my midnight pine perfect and on a black car the stuff is amazing. The chip on my door that was filled in with touch up looked really bad. That fix alone is worth the 40 bucks to me.
Old 06-28-10, 02:50 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

I looked at the review posted by Jimmer. I think lighter cars don't work as well. Most of my LS is perfect. I also went thicker than he did and put a couple coats on the deep ones. Mine is smooth to the touch.
Old 06-28-10, 05:15 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I had a chip on the door which was like a prom date pimple, that could be seen from several feet away.
LOL -- and informative post.
Old 06-28-10, 06:36 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the scratch repair pen.. and I agree..you can not see the scratch that was there. My car is pine..so one of the harder ones to fix.
Katy
Old 06-29-10, 04:33 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KaiserSea1,
Thanks for the input. It has given me the confidence to move forward with cleaning up the chips and dings on my wife's SC. We were behind a dump truck (UGH!) and got some nice chips on the hood and trunk from the stuff that fell off the truck.

I have the Dr. Color Chip kit and will be doing a tough up on an '02 Absolutely Red SC this weekend. I will be sure to post before and after pics.
Old 06-29-10, 07:27 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr. Color did not work on my silver SC. They did refund my money and admitted it does better with some other color cars. I was hopeful, but I guess I have look past the few small chips on the front bumper and around the grill.
Old 06-29-10, 11:39 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
Dr. Color did not work on my silver SC. They did refund my money and admitted it does better with some other color cars. I was hopeful, but I guess I have look past the few small chips on the front bumper and around the grill.
I checked their website and they listed the car by the color code. So if the color code is matched, then it should work, unless they don't have that specific color.
Old 06-29-10, 12:58 PM
justinbig8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
KaiserSea1,
Thanks for the input. It has given me the confidence to move forward with cleaning up the chips and dings on my wife's SC. We were behind a dump truck (UGH!) and got some nice chips on the hood and trunk from the stuff that fell off the truck.

I have the Dr. Color Chip kit and will be doing a tough up on an '02 Absolutely Red SC this weekend. I will be sure to post before and after pics.
Please do! I have red also and would like to know how well it turns out.
Old 06-29-10, 01:38 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I checked their website and they listed the car by the color code. So if the color code is matched, then it should work, unless they don't have that specific color.
Had the correct color code.....the metallic silver didn't mix well. I'm only passing along my experience
Old 06-29-10, 07:10 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it on my wife's red Mazda6.

Results were mixed.

The colour match was perfect, and the paint is thinner than your usual dealer paint sticks.
I applied the paint with a cloth to cover lower bumper road rash.
They don't give you enough of the paint remover/hardener ... I ran out and had to use
paint thinner towards the end.
The car definitely looked better, and worth the $40 investmet.
I found the thin paint to be perfect for touching up larger stone chips, much better
than the dealer's paint stick.

My mixed feelings come from seeing the results over time ... 1 year (winter) later,
and my road rash has come back.
Still, glad to see it works for others.

Quick Reply: Dr. Color Chip Review 40$ Paint Job