SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Disk Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:06 AM
WLD_OTZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Disk Brake Question

My wife said that her brakes were squealing on her 2002 SC 430 yesterday, so I asked her to pick up some new pads and I would swap them out.

I thought this was a little odd since I did a full 4-wheel brake job less than a year ago, turned rotors and everything.

I pulled off the passenger side and noted the pads were about 75% whole. I went to the driver's side, pulled them and they were about 10%, and the warning squawker was fully on the rotor. The rotors on both sides were a little phonographed, but not bad at all. No warping.

Have any of you seen pads wear like that? The car was not pulling to the left like you think it would if one side was gripping and the other wasn't. The wear on the inboard and outboard pads were equal for each side. It has been about 20,000 miles since last brake pad replacement.

Ideas?

Thanks
John
Old 06-22-10, 09:40 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WLD_OTZ
My wife said that her brakes were squealing on her 2002 SC 430 yesterday, so I asked her to pick up some new pads and I would swap them out.

I thought this was a little odd since I did a full 4-wheel brake job less than a year ago, turned rotors and everything.

I pulled off the passenger side and noted the pads were about 75% whole. I went to the driver's side, pulled them and they were about 10%, and the warning squawker was fully on the rotor. The rotors on both sides were a little phonographed, but not bad at all. No warping.

Have any of you seen pads wear like that? The car was not pulling to the left like you think it would if one side was gripping and the other wasn't. The wear on the inboard and outboard pads were equal for each side. It has been about 20,000 miles since last brake pad replacement.

Ideas?

Thanks
John
?Caliper sticking?
Old 06-22-10, 10:28 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WLD_OTZ

Ideas?

Thanks
John

Hi WLD OTZ,

I had a similar experience on my Toyota pickup. It turned out to be a stuck caliper on one side.

I, also, did not notice any pulling when using the brakes; this is because the caliper was doing its job of grabbing when needed but would not fully retract when no longer needed resulting in destruction of the rotor.

Just my thoughts . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-22-10, 11:13 AM
WLD_OTZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi WLD OTZ,

I had a similar experience on my Toyota pickup. It turned out to be a stuck caliper on one side.

I, also, did not notice any pulling when using the brakes; this is because the caliper was doing its job of grabbing when needed but would not fully retract when no longer needed resulting in destruction of the rotor.

Just my thoughts . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Thanks.. I am kinda leaning that direction also. She did admit that she had felt the car 'dragging'... so we very well could be dealing with a stuck caliper

Thanks!
John
Old 06-22-10, 03:30 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piston seal kit and a fluid flush should fix it