SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 12:55 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?

Guys I need help finding the most quiet, Comfortable and good Traction tires for my 02 SC430. I am finaly saying goodbye to my Bridge Stone Potenza RUN Flats. Any Suggestions. I looked at a few option like Dunlop Direzza DZ101 or Michelin Sport SP2 or Fuzion ZRi
Old 06-16-10, 03:05 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi sniper,

IMO there are no 'good' runflat tires.

IMO they are an idea that simply did not work in the real world.

Why would you want to put up with the noise that they make when going to non-RF's makes the car so much quieter?

Just my thoughts & good luck,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-16-10, 04:23 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi sniper,

IMO there are no 'good' runflat tires.

IMO they are an idea that simply did not work in the real world.

Why would you want to put up with the noise that they make when going to non-RF's makes the car so much quieter?

Just my thoughts & good luck,

Jerry Baumchen
Jerry,

Thats what I said in my post. What are the best NON RUN Flats
Old 06-16-10, 04:49 PM
Dfowler
Driver School Candidate

I'm on my 2od set of Continential ContiExtremeContact and am very pleased with the ride. I have about 25,000 miles on this set and still have tread. the car is stock and I carry a tire plug kit and a small Continential repair kit with a compressor. Luckily I've never had to use it. I got the last set from Tire Rack that were shipped to a local installer.
Old 06-16-10, 05:42 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi sniper,

My apologies; I completely misread your post.

I am running Michelin Pilot A/S. I like them a lot; I ran them on my BMW also.

Just my thoughts, & hopefully in-line,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 06-17-10, 09:33 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Thanks a bunch Guys. I always hear good things about Michelin but never knew about continental. The only thing I need is comfort and less noise.
Old 06-17-10, 10:40 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the Michelins for about 10k miles. very satisfied, no visible wear. Air pump and can of slime in the trunk, no spare, no worries.
Old 06-19-10, 07:45 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree about the Michelins..I did my home work, and spent the money..I think these are the best tires out there for ride and comfort, not to mention longevity.about 40,000 is what I heard from Discount Tire. Hopefully they will go the distance, as they were pricey..
Katy
Old 06-19-10, 10:23 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Hey Katy if you get 40K out them with camber our cars have I'll be very surprised. Keep us informed!
Old 06-20-10, 06:03 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob you are right! I can always hope! I would love to find some one who would change the camber on Jade..

Lots of things I would love to do, like the sway bars..etc..but I really like my car. One thing I have done that seems to improve performance and mileage is Lucas gas treatment. I may also try the Chevron product for gas treatment.
Katy
Old 06-20-10, 06:37 AM
HVisone
Rookie

Originally Posted by azkaty
Bob you are right! I can always hope! I would love to find some one who would change the camber on Jade..

Lots of things I would love to do, like the sway bars..etc..but I really like my car. One thing I have done that seems to improve performance and mileage is Lucas gas treatment. I may also try the Chevron product for gas treatment.
Katy
try some sea foam.

best stuff for cleaning injectors, next to pulling them out of engine, so I have found, esp with motorcycles

put it in concentrated format and let car sit for a couple of days after running for a few minutes
Old 06-20-10, 06:51 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE960AS's, PS2's, S-Drive's are all decent tires...
I like the Sdrives as you can flip them
Old 06-20-10, 08:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

There are trade offs in tires -- comfort versus handling. My most important criteria was quiet and smooth. I have Dfowler's exact setup and, on long trips, throw in a Toyota space saver tire for extra security.

Originally Posted by Dfowler
I'm on my 2od set of Continential ContiExtremeContact and am very pleased with the ride. I have about 25,000 miles on this set and still have tread. the car is stock and I carry a tire plug kit and a small Continential repair kit with a compressor. Luckily I've never had to use it. I got the last set from Tire Rack that were shipped to a local installer.
Old 06-25-10, 12:29 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires on my SC430 and I am very happy with them. I have recently put a few sets of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 's on a few of my cars and I am sold on them. They are similar to IONFRANKS Continental ExtremeContact DW's but they are all season and are a harder compound. They will last a lot longer than the DW's that are just a softer summer tire. They are very quiet and smooth as silk! I will put these on the SC the next time around. Try them, you will love them! I put them on my sons Honda Accord and he called me after he left my place and asked me how I made his car so smooth! BTW I have my own tire changer and balancer so I do all the installs personally.
Old 06-25-10, 12:46 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I have had the Continental DWS for about three months now and would echo farkas's evaluation. The only problem is you can't get them in our size any place I can see. They are back ordered and have been for months.

Quick Reply: What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?