SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 05:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've stated this before. But here it gies again.

Yesterday I drove my wife's SC430 with Continental DWS tires. It had been sitting for 3 days. For the first 6-8 miles the steering wheel was shaking about 1/2" side to side. The shake slowly decreased and after I got on the hyway and drove about 10 miles or so it was finally gone. I also felt the shaking in the seat. The DWS tires flat spot when sitting for a few days. It was 90dF so it wasn't a temperature issue.

Today I drove my other SC430 with the Michelin Pilot Super sports to pick up a Pizza. That car had been sitting for about 7 days. That car I does not exhibit any shaking ever. There is a significant difference.

When I had run flats the car felt like I was riding on steel tires. It was horrible. Small road bumps caused the suspension to slam when bottomed out.
Old 06-29-14, 07:16 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ahxks1
I think were agreeing more than disagreeing. Unless you put 16 or 17 inch wheels on the SC430, no tire will make a difference. This car is beautiful and whisper quiet, but it was not designed for road comfort, nor can it deal with New York City or Long Island roads. It handles potholes as well as my old my old Miata's. But there are vehicles that drive beautifully with 18 inch wheels. Does your Mercedes have the Active Body Control (ABC)? My aunt has an '08 SL550 with ABC and 18" wheels. It's the most beautiful and best driving retractable hardtop I've ever driven. Id drop the Lexus for the SL in a heartbeat, but unfortunately out of my price range..
My CLS550 does not have the Active Body Control feature - not sure it is available on US spec CLS. I would choose my CLS over the SC for overall handling anyday but not because of how it deals with rough roads or potholes on this side of the Hudson River. More because the airmatic suspension and the staggered rear setup gives solid cornering performance in comfort mode airmatic and pretty much high end sports car cornering performance in sport mode airmatic. The softly sprung SC is no match in corners.

But it is quite unfair to compare overall car performance from my venerable old 3UZFE 4.3 liter naturally aspirated Toyota V8 to a much more modern M278 4.7 liter biturbo V8 in the Benz.

Over potholes and bumps, I think my CLS can transmit as good a jolt as my SC cos of the 18 inch rims. Both cars use Conti non-RFTs. I did not even dare order the 19 inch option when building the Benz cos I knew what I was in for given the beat up roads in North NJ.

But yes, when I had the Pirelli RFTs on the SC, my teeth definitely chattered more and my eyeballs were jigging in their sockets. I'm glad I switched to Conti DWS even if like FLYCT says, they flat spot a bit when cold. I'm good with my SC the way it is and am planning to keep this old girl in service for quite a bit longer. The SC is the oldest car in my garage and it might stay that way.

You are right on the 16 or 17 inch rims tho - ran a winter setup for the SC from Tire Rack on cheapie 16 inch rims. That thicker sidewall definitely helps absorb bumps. It just made my car look a little weird.

Last edited by OBP; 06-29-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 09:25 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a picture of what Your SC looked like with the 16 inch wheels?
Old 07-02-14, 03:48 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Michelin Zero Pressure all the way

Yes their pricey but if that does not matter then that is what I recommend

if not

then you have

Pirelli as well which is great
Old 07-02-14, 05:51 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Michelin Zero Pressure all the way

Yes their pricey but if that does not matter then that is what I recommend

if not

then you have

Pirelli as well which is great
One issue with Zero Pressure or Run Flat tires is that if you get a nail they are not repairable. If you have a half worn tire then your into buying a pair of tires to prevent pulling. So catch a nail and it could cost you over $700.

I had a nail in one of my Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-run-flats a few weeks ago. Tire store did a plug/patch and rebalance for free.