SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do I get a more throaty growl SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 01:12 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to remove the resonators and also at intake...i think that would be enough for me.
Old 12-05-14, 04:56 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my 3rd cat and resonators removed, hoping to get a little more sound. I guess I will have to say it still is pretty quite: barely noticeable at idle, somewhat noticeable under normal acceleration and noticeable, but not greatly so, under full throttle. I'm searching here for some dual mufflers I thought I had seen, that might provide the sound i'm seeking.
Old 12-05-14, 05:13 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get DrGas.com with tips
Old 12-05-14, 05:47 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SRT intake, magnaflow, velocity stack

Running an SRT cold air intake improved the sound a lot on my car. I also put a magnaflow exhaust which improved the sound as well. Just this weekend I modified the intake with a "velocity stack" with a larger 6" opening cone filter. Sounds monstrous and relatively inexpensive. Feel free to PM if you have questions.
Old 12-05-14, 07:29 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Pick up a Cougar!
No thanks I'm not into older women
Old 12-09-14, 09:23 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Exhaust cutout

Originally Posted by medsc430
Just had my 3rd cat and resonators removed, hoping to get a little more sound. I guess I will have to say it still is pretty quite: barely noticeable at idle, somewhat noticeable under normal acceleration and noticeable, but not greatly so, under full throttle. I'm searching here for some dual mufflers I thought I had seen, that might provide the sound i'm seeking.
Have you thought about getting exhaust cutouts?
Old 12-09-14, 09:30 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

don't waist your money on cutouts
Old 12-12-14, 12:41 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EJC
Pick up a Cougar!
Excellent! Works every time, the growl gets louder when the top is down.
Old 12-17-15, 02:42 PM
DonnyBoy
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a magnaflow catback exhaust for my SC430, are there any walkthroughs that could help me do it myself?
Old 12-17-15, 10:44 PM
Marrkk
Driver School Candidate

Default Magnaflow exhaust installation

It looks very straightforward from the exhaust diagrams and the pictures of the Magnaflow system. It appears you just unbolt the forward end of the y-pipe fron the cat (two bolt flange), the just lift the entire setup off the flexible hanger loops. To make it easier (lighter), you may want to unbolt the axle-back portion of the old exhaust from the y-pipe, it has flange connections with two bolts apiece. You can then remove the exhaust system in two sections. The Magnaflow, in contrast, has a slip connection at those points with a U-clamp connection (how American!). I'm sure Magnaflow will provide complete instructions.

BTW, I just ordered a Top Speed Pro 1 axle-back system. It's about half the price of the Magnaflow ($400, no y-pipe) and has a throatier sound, I believe.
Old 12-18-15, 10:22 AM
DonnyBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marrkk
It looks very straightforward from the exhaust diagrams and the pictures of the Magnaflow system. It appears you just unbolt the forward end of the y-pipe fron the cat (two bolt flange), the just lift the entire setup off the flexible hanger loops. To make it easier (lighter), you may want to unbolt the axle-back portion of the old exhaust from the y-pipe, it has flange connections with two bolts apiece. You can then remove the exhaust system in two sections. The Magnaflow, in contrast, has a slip connection at those points with a U-clamp connection (how American!). I'm sure Magnaflow will provide complete instructions.

BTW, I just ordered a Top Speed Pro 1 axle-back system. It's about half the price of the Magnaflow ($400, no y-pipe) and has a throatier sound, I believe.
Nice! Thanks for the reply. Gonna wait for my coilovers and do both at the same time.
Old 12-18-15, 11:38 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Marrkk

Would like to hear this exhaust once you have it completed. Maybe a video? or even a DIY thread? I'm in the market for a new exhaust too and haven't made my decision yet either. Gotta make sure no Check Engine Lights though! Good luck!
Old 12-18-15, 01:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Would like to hear this exhaust once you have it completed. Maybe a video? or even a DIY thread? I'm in the market for a new exhaust too and haven't made my decision yet either. Gotta make sure no Check Engine Lights though! Good luck!
A before and after video is always helpful.
Old 12-18-15, 10:31 PM
Marrkk
Driver School Candidate

Default Pro 1 exhaust install

I'll try to take some pictures as I go. Will be doing the install after Xmas.
Looks like a simple enough process, I don't think a video is necessary. In the meantime, here is a link to a video of an SC430 with the Pro 1 exhaust, demonstrating the sound of the system:

Here is a photo of the system.

Last edited by Marrkk; 12-18-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 10:57 PM
Marrkk
Driver School Candidate

Default Exhaust system and emissions.

As the both the cat-back (Magnaflow) and the axle-back (Pro 1 and Megan) systems are downstream from the cat and O2 sensors, they should neither affect emissions nor trigger any emission system codes.

Quick Reply: How do I get a more throaty growl SC430?