SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Debadging...Quick, easy, cheap, and reversable!

Old 06-25-02, 12:14 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Debadging...Quick, easy, cheap, and reversable!

As discussed before on this site, I decided (I was boared) to debadge my SC 430. Took less than 1/2 hour.

First I removed the "L" from the front grill. Took out the one philips screw holding it on the grill. Wiped off the marks, and touched up the mounting tab with sharpie marker. Tab is now almost invisable, and the naked grill looks sweet.
Grill is now nicely accented by the brake air intake cooling vents next to fog lights. Makes car look lower and wider.

Next I attacked the rear Lexus and SC 430 badging on the trunk lid. I first warmed them up (not hot!) with a hair dryer, and ran some dental floss (Minty fresh) behind them. They came right off with little effort. Left behind was some adhesive foam. This was easily removed with some 3M tar remover. Let it soak in for 5 minutes, then rub off with soft cloth. It takes a little rubbing, but underneath was perfect.
Do not try to remove the large central "L" on the trunk lid, as I believe that is mounted with holes, which would remain after removing the trim.

A little wax, and Voila!

If you don't like the new look. One screw and the grill "L" is back on, and some double sticky carpet tape, and the rear is back to stock.

To see how this looks see picture of rear of "purple pace car" thread elsware on this site.
Old 06-26-02, 07:39 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the same thing and replaced the rear "L" with a black pearl emblem (silver car). Looks very sharp.
Old 06-26-02, 01:24 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems that I read somewhere in this forum that there was some sort of problem trying to reattach the grill emblem after removal.

I did a search, but could not find the thread. Does anyone remember what that problem was?

I kinda like the grill without the emblem and am seriously considering removing it.
Old 06-26-02, 07:42 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

No problem with the front emblem. One screw that is behind the grill and in front of the radiator. Want it back (bet you won't) just put it back on with one screw. Easy Peasy!
Others spoke about breaking off the mounting tab. This is why it was difficult to reinstall. I just left it there, and put some black "sharpie marker" on it. It virtually dissapeared.
Old 06-26-02, 09:48 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my grill emblem off today after reading this thread.. What a visual difference.. Not too sure about debadging the rear yet but i'll ponder over it for awhile and when i'm bored I might do that..

Thanks TOPLEXS!
Old 06-27-02, 11:45 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up REMAINING BADGE UPGRADES

Against the Stunning " ZAINO 1-7 Wet Look" Back-Drop of my Black Onyx, I removed the "SC 40"' and "LEXUS" Badges, and replaced the "Circle L-Ranch" Badges with OEM Gold Plated ones from LEXUS, then added Ten Bright Gold-Plated Hex Nuts to each Wheel, and had the Dealer Gold Plate the remaining Center Wheel "L's", as well as the one Engine Cover. WOW - What a unique Look, with the Saddle Leather Interior! :eek: :eek:

Too bad the Interior "L's" are Plastic, so that the Gold Plating would not readily adhere to them, but against the "Orange-Looking" Saddle Leather, the "L's" on the Seat Backs and the Steering Wheel's Center Hub, would have made this a Real Stunning Show Car!

Maybe these will be platable on my Next SC 430 Model, as I've already got a long "Waiting List" for this Car as soon as I Re-Order the 2004, who have commited Big Bucks as Good-Faith Security Deposits, on my ZAINO-ED, Gold-Plated Pace Car....................(Don King, Rick Flair, Hulk Hogan, "The Rock", Mike Tyson, "Princes Judy"and O. J.Simpson, just to name a few.)

(Could Happen!)

SOLO-1
Old 06-28-02, 02:58 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

O.J.......Tyson.......Hmmm...... What about Crysta ?
Old 06-28-02, 04:34 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default !

Originally posted by Larry: "O.J.......Tyson.......Hmmm...... What about Crystal ?"

Crystal - oh my, what a Knock Out!

I found out that she sorta like, had this thing going with the Manager there, some Big, Dark, Swarthy Guy that looked like he used to preform "Extractions" somewhere around Camden, New Jersey. A Real "Cavity Head"!

But we all parted as "friends", and he even hinted that he might even consider purchasing my SC for Crystal!

I think that's what he meant when he told me that the next time that I was in town to bring the Keys and Title to the Lexus, and we'd "Dicker". :eek:

(Tastes kind'a like chicken.............)

Old 07-01-02, 06:35 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Took my front emblem off yesterday and colored the remaining tab with some indelible black marker. As TOPLEXS noticed, the grill now nicely echoes the design of the vents next to the fog lights.

Although I've seen pics of this de-adornment, this is the first time I've seen the grill like this in person. I like it, but I have to get used to it. Now, at times, the shape is reminiscent of the shape of a painted clown smile.
Old 07-01-02, 11:09 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1NICESC430:"Took my front emblem off yesterday and colored the remaining tab with some indelible black marker. As TOPLEXS noticed, the grill now nicely echoes the design of the vents next to the fog lights. Although I've seen pics of this de-adornment, this is the first time I've seen the grill like this in person. I like it, but I have to get used to it. Now, at times, the shape is reminiscent of the shape of a painted clown smile. :rolleyes!"

See, Your SC is trying to Tell you something.....................

(It may feel that it Needs that "CIRCLE-L RANCH" Badge as a kind of "Badge Of Honor", to do Battle against all of those "Wanna-Be" AUDI-T's, SL-500's, CLK's, SAAB Stories, Left over VOLVO's, and BIMMERS.)

Consider this.............would "THE ROCK" Ever remove his 'Snorting-Bull' Tatoo?

I Don't Think So!

:eek:
Old 07-01-02, 11:40 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

THe grill with the badge on it looks like crap. Much cleaner without.

my $.02
Old 07-01-02, 12:08 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Wink

Originally posted by Larry: "The Grill with the Badge on it looks like crap. Much cleaner without. My $.02."

Well, now that you've established the Value of that comment for us, those of us that may not agree with it entirely, but believe that the Car Designers actually had an Original "Theme / Image" in mind, with the layout of all of the Badges, we can give it an appropriate response:

"PHFAAAAPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTT!"

Just my $0.02, you undersatnd, old chap!

:eek:
Old 07-02-02, 05:30 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Of course I understand. I tend to voice my opinions without any "sugar-coating". I've de-badged all my cars over the years except the NSX (no badging to begin with). I prefer the "cleaner" look.
I also hate daytime running lights and had the c-best code changed to turn them off.

So in closing.......theme-schmeme.......still looks like crap with the big giant huge ugly medallion on the grill.

Oh yeah, I also think the stock rims suck.

Hey !! I just got a cute little puppy dog last week ! He's a West Hyland White Terrier named Quigley. He's already been with me for rides in the Lex. What a cute little guy. I love him !!
Old 07-02-02, 05:38 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Larry ...

Don't forget to take a pic of your SC with Quigley's reflection in it. Better yet, stick the little guy in the car and take a pic of the real Quigley.
Old 07-02-02, 12:55 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by Larry:" I hate daytime running lights (i.e."They Suck!") and had the c-best code changed to turn them off. So in closing.......theme-schmeme.......still looks like crap with the big giant huge ugly medallion on the grill (i.e."It Sucks too!). Oh yeah, I also think the Stock Rims Suck!
Hey !! I just got a cute little puppy dog last week ! He's a West Hyland White Terrier named Quigley. He's already been with me for rides in the Lex. What a cute little guy. I love him !!"

Larry, Larry, Larry! I just COULDN'T let this one go by, for the sake of one more Laugh, and at your expense, I'm afraid.........

Lets see now, you think that Running Lights kinda "Suck",

You feel that the "Circle-L Ranch" Badge on the front "Sucks",

You also feel that the Stock Wheels "Suck",

And (Whew - I hope I can keep a Straight Face until I get through this!) Then, you get a Dog and name him "QUIGLEY", after the Western Adventure from ........"DOWN UNDER!"

"Mr. Obvious......where's a dog named "Quigley" likely to be found in the Front Seat of a New Car, and what do you think that he's Doing down there??????

:eek: :eek: :cool

(ps - I owe you a couple of Ice Cold Sierra Nevada Beers for letting take that shot! Run the Tab Up - I'll be good for it!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debadging...Quick, easy, cheap, and reversable!