SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Almost traded in the SC for a SL500 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 09:27 PM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost traded in the SC for a SL500 today

but decided that it was not worth it. The SL had 900km and was selling at MSRP. After looking at the CLK my friend was picking up, i concluded that Mercedes quality is not up to par with the japanese.If u want Mercedes quality that is just as nice as the LEX, like the SL500, pay 40-60k more because of the logo and some funky gadgets like bi-xenons and fans in the seat and keyless go.... In my case, 60k more cuz they're trying to rape me on the trade in price of my SC. Maybe if i stuck the MERCEDES 3 point star up front of the SC grill and the SL500 badge ppl wont notice....

Last edited by pot_head; 06-24-02 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 09:38 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Almost traded in the SC for a SL500 today

Originally posted by pot_head
but decided that it was not worth it. The SL had 900km and was selling at MSRP. After looking at the CLK my friend was picking up, i concluded that Mercedes quality is not up to par with the japanese.If u want Mercedes quality that is just as nice as the LEX, like the SL500, pay 40-60k more because of the logo and some funky gadgets like bi-xenons and fans in the seat and keyless go.... In my case, 60k more cuz they're trying to rape me on the trade in price of my SC. Maybe if i stuck the MERCEDES 3 point star up front of the SC grill and the SL500 badge ppl wont notice....
I'm quite partial to mercedes, they aren't as bad cars as many on this board make them out to be (they do have their engineering faults, especially when it comes to their electrical systems). However, I do agree with the following....they are failry overpriced. But in America as MB is overpriced, in Greece LEXUS is overpriced.
Old 06-25-02, 01:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a LOT of people with Mercedes (new and old) and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM who own a '91 and up have problems after problems...Mercedes was also rated as one of the WORST in terms of QC in Europe...unfortunately, people in America buy into the MB marketing machine (ALMOST as effective as the Rolex marketing machine)....

Don't get me wrong, I love the way they look, but until they are #1 for 5 years straight on surveys/test like JD Powers, I won't buy one. Many people consider them #1 and they price their cars like #1 yet in every quality test, they aren't even close to #1.

Also, if Lexus started to faulter, I would have no problem jumping ship either....
Old 06-26-02, 08:20 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

yeah.... i mean you dont get what you pay for
you have to pay for what you like

simply anywhere in europe... a ford or chevy that is sold in the US is going to be a little bit more expensive ... simply because of the shipping
but somewhere.... there is always goign to be a car not worth its price in one country ... but a steal of a deal in another
Old 06-26-02, 09:06 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

People don't buy MB's for quality. They do it for "status". Lexus covers both status and quality.
It's a marketing ploy that some fall for under the catagory of "Aspirational Vehicles".

What a crock.
Old 06-26-02, 10:53 AM
ls400/500sl
Driver School Candidate

Default u weren't even close to almost - just trolling for argument

Pls. spare us.
Old 06-26-02, 02:36 PM
pot_head
Driver

Default Re: u weren't even close to almost - just trolling for argument

Originally posted by ls400/500sl
Pls. spare us.
all i had to do was sign the papers and it was done.
Old 06-26-02, 05:41 PM
young
Driver School Candidate

it's kinda fun though...

i agree w/ the sentiment that most people who buy mercedes buy the name... quality seems to be not a high priority (but we get mad anyway )

manaray, you've got a long wait...
Old 06-28-02, 12:12 AM
GuessMoDeL
Driver School Candidate

hey a 03 sl500 for msrp? You shouldv'e taken it. Motor Werks in Barrington is taken 10k to 20k over MSRP. I love the sc430 but boy do i LOVE the new sl500. When the SL55 comes out, it's over.
Old 06-28-02, 12:38 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default Re: Re:TRADE IN VALUE / TOTAL MONEY DIFFERENCE?

Originally posted by pot_head : "all I had to do was sign the papers and it was done."

PTHD - My curiosity has been piqued - How Much did they Offer you for your Trade, and how much Money Difference did they ask for?

Hey Dude - I Believe you! I've driven MB Vehicles for over 15 years straight, including a 450 SEL 4 DR Sedan. With a name like "SOLOMON", I've had more than one occasion where I've cavalierly been told: "You obviously have NO understanding of the Sophistication of this Automobile Marque, or it's Ancestory!", to which I replied with my Best Polish Accent: "And so my Comrade, when are YOUR parents to get married?"

MB, like brother BMW, is driven with this Age-Old Dream Of Supremecy to be the most Profitable Car Marque in today's uncertain Market, while the LEXUS Division of TOYOTA, like the "Young Bull", slowly Walks down the Hill, Steps thru the Gate, and..........Kicks MB / Chrysler's Rear End so bad that they replace them in the World's Market as the FOURTH Largest Automotive Manufacture!

JD Powers's Annual Award the past TEN Years should have been their First Clue, "Mr. Obvious".

If we all had an Opportinity to drive Cross-Country, say from New York down through the Mid-West and on to California, at "Break-Neck" Speeds, with Multiple Driver's Licenses, and No risk of Law Enforcement Officers pulling us over, in a SC 430, a SL 500, or a M-3 Hard Top Convertible, with ALL the Stops pulled Out, it would be very interesting to read all of the current Lexus SC 430 Club Members' actual reports.

I'd probably side with one of the German Sleds..............at least on the Front part of the trip, and then, who knows..........

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 07-02-02 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 02:21 AM
pot_head
Driver

i live in canada so the pricing is in canadian dollars. the dealer wanted to give me 14k USD less than msrp for the SC430. Imo thats alot. I said forget it cuz i'll be taking too big of a hit if i were to trade the SC in for the SL, IMO not worth it.

But i have another SL on order. Its coming in next week or two. A friend of mine is the one who ordered it awhile back but i convinced him to take the 360 Modena instead and give me his SL on order.
Old 06-28-02, 02:35 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up SMART MOVE DUDE!

If you don't have take too bad of a Hit on your SC, the Sl 500 IS the FINAL Step Up, Like it or not!

Given the new "Lemon Laws", I'd let your MB Dealer know your mean Business, and assure that you get your money's Worth!

I truly LOVE my SC, but if I had a choice to drive Cross-Country at Speeds in excess of 100 MPH for sustained periods of time, I'd probably side with the SL 500, for a more realistic but "comfortable" feel of the road, as compared to the harsh realities of the BMW, or the "Sedated" SC.

"THE JAPANESE STILL MAKE THE BEST COPIES, BUT THE GERMANS STILL LEAD IN SEAT-OF-THE-PANTS-FEEL-OF-THE-ROAD DRIVING EXPERIENCES!

"FRUSTRATED IN FISHERS!"

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 07-02-02 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 09:16 AM
shaady
Driver School Candidate

Default Honest Opinion

It's human nature to bash cars that are compared to the one you have. This was quite common between the Viper/Corvette/M3 crowds. No one could appreciate the other cars if they owned one. Just senseless bashing when all of them are great cars. Pride of choice and ownership, I guess.

The new SL is one of the sexiest cars on the road today. Coupled with a retractable hardtop and some gee-whiz gizmos, it raises the bar for the previously-tired SL line. If I could afford it, I'd get one...believe that. And I don't like MB at all.

After weighing the pros and cons of both the SC and the SL, they're pretty close in my book. Lexus dealer service putting the SC over the top for me. I'll be happy with my SC430 when I get it.
Old 07-02-02, 06:21 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Wink To each his [or her] own

People decide on which car to purchase on a variety of factors, and some of those factors (e.g. sport/comfort/price/image) may mean more to some people than to others. It's all a matter of personal preference. One cannot definitively say that one car is better than the other because each car holds a distinct and variable amount of value to different people. We may scoff at a man who prizes his Ford Focus, but to him it may be significant and worthy.

To those of you who are planning to purchase an SC430 or an SL500 or perhaps a differnt car, take the comments on this board with a grain of salt and bear in mind that a car's merits as well as a car's marketing play a huge role in your decision-making process.

To those on this board who already own an SC430, know that our car is quite a fine automobile, and that we ought to be happy with what we have. If you live your life with contentment instead of constantly wanting something better/different, you'll find that you will be much happier and less miserable in life.

My two cents.
Old 07-02-02, 07:07 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Lightbulb M-3 / SC 430 / SL500 - PERSONAL OPINIONS & VALUES

I found what I considered to be the Most Beautifuly Shaped and Wave-Polished Stone that had eventually washed up on the Shore the other day, while walking along the Beach. I took the Stone into my home and further cleaned it, and buffed it's brilliance to a Magnificient shine, in my opinion.

(What would I do without "ZAINO 1-7"? )

And I took this "Precious Stone" to one of my best friends, and offered it to them, as a simple gesture of friendship - something "Special" for a "Special" friend.

But my friend, after a careful examination and reflective study of what I considered to be the "Best Of The Best", decided not to accept it from me. They humbly said they had found something else that they preferred more, and apparently liked better.

While I did not completely understand their decision to turn away from my choice, of what I considered the "Best", in my personal opinion, I none-the-less respected their choice, and personal preference.

Most of all, I also understood in the Heart of my Heart, that their decision did not, in any way, indicate that "my choice", was worth Any Less, than I had originally had valued it.

Before LEXUS, before BMW, before MERCEDES, one much wiser than me said it best: "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder!"

Still True Today.

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 07-02-02 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Almost traded in the SC for a SL500 today