SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

airflow / vent setting confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 09:06 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default airflow / vent setting confusion

On a nice day, when you simply want some fresh air coming through the vents, without heating or cooling of it, shouldn't the setting just be outside air, with the fan set on something?

In my car, it seems like that results in warm/heated air, not just outside (naturally cool) air.

With the roof retracted, the breeze generated while driving is very comfortable.

However, the air coming out of the vents (especially the lower vents) is warm, as though it's passing by the engine and getting heated.

Is this some sort of thermal illusion?

It seems like there are many times when although the outside air is very comfortable, the vented air, especially lower vents, is quite warm.

I shouldn't have to run the a/c to cool the air coming out of the vents when straight outside air is comfortable, should I?

Strange question, and somewhat subjective, I know, but it's the only thing about my great new sc430 that is somewhat distressing to me.

Any ideas? Could the vent pathway have been tweaked somehow, or ???

Thanks for any ideas or feedback.
Old 05-25-10, 09:46 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you have a 2009 or 2010, so it is possible that it is different than my 2005. With that caveat, I've noticed that the lowest temperature on the HVAC unit is 65 degrees, irrespective of whether or not the A/C is on. I'm assuming that, if the outside air is lower than 65, it will be heated to a minimum of 65 before entering the cabin. Essentially, I’ve noticed the same thing as you with the fan on.

However, as with other Japanese cars I've had, I have noticed that when the HVAC system is turned totally off with the system set to fresh air, the vents will allow a small amount of air through at speed. The faster you go, the more air you get (the fan isn’t operating in this instance). With this setting, it appears that the air isn’t heated before entering the cabin like it is with the fan on, but I could be wrong (just got the car a little over a month ago).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-10, 06:16 AM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your comments.

Actually it's an '03.

To simplify my concern, it's that on a warm day where the outside (anywhere from 70-90) air feels nice in motion in the cabin above door level, that same outside air, coming through the vents, feels like it's been heated. It's as though I have to put the AC on to get the vent air to feel as cool as the air coming into the cabin from outside the car (not through the vents).
Old 05-26-10, 06:55 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup grottoman...it's a known issue.

I've found that, for some reason, if you get in a cold car and put the top down...there's no problem. But, when the car is warmed up (like on a multi-stop trip), when you put the top down, you get the "hot feet" syndrome, even when the climate control system is "off".

There have been a few threads about this...no real solution though.

When it does this in my car, I just put the A/C on, set it to "floor", set a temp around 75 or so, and put the fan on medium. This seems to override whatever the heat source is without being too intrusive.

The car SHOULD just funnel outside-temp air through the vents when the Climate Control is off...but it doesn't.

EDIT: Here's a thread that talks about it...which has links to several OTHER threads that talk about it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-mean-off.html

Last edited by Habious; 05-26-10 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added some stuff and things
Old 05-26-10, 07:58 AM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wierd, now I'm curious to see if my car has the same issue but I just haven't noticed it.

So if I understand correctly: When you put the top down on after the car is warm, you can feel heated air coming out of the vents (especially the lower ones) even when the climate control system is off?

As kind of a "band-aid" solution, couldn't you just set the climate control to off, and set the vents to recirculate?
Old 05-26-10, 08:43 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nkx1
Wierd, now I'm curious to see if my car has the same issue but I just haven't noticed it.

So if I understand correctly: When you put the top down on after the car is warm, you can feel heated air coming out of the vents (especially the lower ones) even when the climate control system is off?
Yes

Originally Posted by nkx1
As kind of a "band-aid" solution, couldn't you just set the climate control to off, and set the vents to recirculate?
No. That's how it SHOULD work, but you get hot...not "warm"...HOT air blowing on your feet.