SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dim View Of Fog & Backup Lamps!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 08:10 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Dim View Of Fog & Backup Lamps!

I've been after my Dealer to assist me in resolving my concerns and personal disapointments in the Sad amount of light that both the OEM Fogs and Backups put out, so I agreed to have them install PIAAA High Output $75.00 Fog Bulbs, and PIA Single Filament Bue Back Up $15.00 Bulbs, but the results are the same - next to nothing, in the way of improvement!

These Fogs are almost a Joke, if I didn't have so much in them, and the BU Lights seem useless!

Any other suggestions out there?

Old 06-18-02, 08:22 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dim View Of Fog & Backup Lamps!

Originally posted by WJSOLOMON
I've been after my Dealer to assist me in resolving my concerns and personal disapointments in the Sad amount of light that both the OEM Fogs and Backups put out, so I agreed to have them install PIAAA High Output $75.00 Fog Bulbs, and PIA Single Filament Bue Back Up $15.00 Bulbs, but the results are the same - next to nothing, in the way of improvement!

These Fogs are almost a Joke, if I didn't have so much in them, and the BU Lights seem useless!

Any other suggestions out there?

U can always go HID with your fogs. Put a 4100k kit in your fogs, I'm sure you'll see hella difference. I dunno the SC430 Fog bulb, I believe it's an H3 don't quote me on that, therefore I assume there prolly aren't many even any HID lighting that supports H3 bulbs, sockets. I have seen H1, H7, and H4's, but to my knowledge they will not fit unless you get custom work.
Old 06-18-02, 08:24 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is one I know of:

http://www.hitechimportlighting.com/...20APPLICATIONS

Very very pricey.
Old 06-18-02, 09:00 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fog light bulbs are H-3 and are a beach to get to. I changed the OEM for Nokya 4100K. The output is a little better and the color is much better, IMO. WJ I agree that the fogs don't do much in the way of output. I think it is more that the HID output is so good that the fogs are just overpowered. the HID fog suggestions is probably the best way to go. As far as the reverse lights are concerned, I used Polarg super whites and IMO they put out more light. Hope this helps.

MAC
Old 06-18-02, 09:07 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 0260n5.7: "The fog light bulbs are H-3 and are a beach to get to. I anged the OEM for Nokya 4100K. The output is a little better and the color is much better, IMO. WJ I agree that the fogs don't do much in the way of output. I think it is more that the HID output is so good that the fogs are just overpowered. the HID fog suggestions is probably the best way to go. As far as the reverse lights are concerned, I used Polarg super whites and IMO they put out more light. Hope this helps."
MAC

MAC - It sure does!

I'll reorder and set about getting them installed.

Thanks Again, good friend!

Old 06-19-02, 06:36 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW ... my .02 on fog lamps

The value of modern fog lamps escapes me. To be truly effective in cutting through fog, the light has to be widely dispersed. This means that in addition to the lamp's lens design dispersing the light, the regular headlamps must be turned off (not just on low-beam). Regular lamps cause a "glare-back" from the fog which makes the fog lamps useless. Most (maybe all?) modern cars are wired so their fog lamps cannot be on unless the headlamps are. Even if C-best settings or rewiring allowed you to bypass that protocol, the bulbs are, as Solo says, way too dim to drive by.

The attached pic shows two Lucas lamps I stuck on my '64 P1800. One was a fog lamp, the other a driving lamp (Lucas Flamethrower - whew... talk about high beam!). I wired them so the Flamethrower was switched with my high beams and the fog lamp could be turned on without the headlamps. I was able to drive at 60mph along a winding country road at midnight in pea-soup fog with no problem.

Of course, these kind of lamps, if you could even find them, would look stupid on a modern car. If someone could design a lamp that was as effective as the Lucas foglamp and be integrated with modern design, then I'd have to change my view of fog lamps. And I *know* Solo would be happy.

BTW
The grill and license plate on that poor car kissed the corner of a gigantic Buick bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Dim View Of Fog & Backup Lamps!-p1800_fog.jpg  
Old 06-19-02, 10:11 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1NICESC430 - FWIW ... my .02 on fog lamps:

"The value of modern fog lamps escapes me. To be truly effective in cutting through fog, the light has to be widely dispersed. This means that in addition to the lamp's lens design dispersing the light, the regular headlamps must be turned off (not just on low-beam). Regular lamps cause a "glare-back" from the fog which makes the fog lamps useless. Most (maybe all?) modern cars are wired so their fog lamps cannot be on unless the headlamps are. Even if C-best settings or rewiring allowed you to bypass that protocol, the bulbs are, as Solo says, way too dim to drive by. The attached pic shows two Lucas lamps I stuck on my '64 P1800. One was a fog lamp, the other a driving lamp (Lucas Flamethrower - whew... talk about high beam!). I wired them so the Flamethrower was switched with my high beams and the fog lamp could be turned on without the headlamps. I was able to drive at 60mph along a winding country road at midnight in pea-soup fog with no problem.
Of course, these kind of lamps, if you could even find them, would look stupid on a modern car. If someone could design a lamp that was as effective as the Lucas foglamp and be integrated with modern design, then I'd have to change my view of fog lamps. And I *know* Solo would be happy. BTW
(The grill and license plate on that poor car kissed the corner of a gigantic Buick bumper.)"

Thank You Sir, that was One Nice Observation in regard to the reality of what Manufactures now refer to as 'Fog Lamps'. I remember that on one of my previous Mercedes Sedans that I drove as an everyday Business Car for over 15 years, had those large Bosh Yellow Fog Lamps that I either housed in Chrome Grills, or covered up in the day time with nicely insulated Black / White Checkered Round Covers. Those babies really spread out an intense piercing Fog Driving Light that overshadowed (?) the area immediately to the front and sides of the Low Beam. They were completely independant of the Low Beams, but seemed to work better in conjuction of the Low Beams at Posted Highway Sheeds.

Sometimes I kind of wish that New Car Manufactures would "See The Light", and bring back these High Speed Sentenels for use in Fog and Snow Showers. Remember the Good Old Days..............!

Old 06-19-02, 03:38 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1Nice & WJ,

I totally agree with you regarding the value of "modern fog lamps." I posted the same inquiry a while ago. I've heard that the lights that come on only when the headlights are on are called "driving lights" and not "fog lights." I agree that a true fog light would come on when the headlights are off hence reducing the glare on the fog. The premise behind a true fog lamp would be that the beam is lower and disbursed wider than a normal headlight reducing the glare. I guess whe have to be resolved to the fact that they are not "fog lights" and are actually "driving lights."

MAC