SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Manual Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 04:48 PM
bagyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Manual Tranny Swap

Currently drive a 98 ES300 but in the market to get into a SC430 for the summer. I like having my Auto ES for commuting reasons but would like a Manual car for fun and don't want to get into an IS250 or another brand. Is there anyone out there that has or knows about a Manual Transmission Swap/Conversion for the SC430??? Any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-17-10, 07:11 PM
Select
Driver

^ good question! I would like to know this too as well
Old 05-17-10, 08:43 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, I don't know the answer but here's a thread you might want to check out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sion-swap.html

You might also try searching for the word "manual" in thread titles only.

I also was wondering why you would want a manual in the SC430? I mean, it's not really a super fast car and it handles like a boat in stock form. I would think if you wanted a fun/fast car, you would buy a real sports car. It seems that the SC430 is much better suited to mellow cruising than banging through the gears. When I want a nice/quiet/relaxing ride, I drive the SC430. When I want a loud/fast/fun ride, I drive an actual sports car.

Last edited by nkx1; 05-18-10 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 06:09 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

there is a company making an addaption plate to use the supra tranny. i will find the link. you can use either generation tranny. there are 2 plates available. google it, im at work. but the answer is YES
Old 05-18-10, 12:55 PM
bagyo
Driver

Thanks nkx1 and langsdale, i'll check it out. I've already tried the search button for "Manual" though i couldn't find any info, i'll look again closely. For your question nkx1, Well i just want something different to tune and want the luxury and class of a Lexus. Alot of my friends drive the dime a dozen M3's and AMG's so i wana show them how Lexus owners do it, gota represent for the Brand yah know what i mean. Maybe a one off Turbo 6-speed Manual SC430 would do the trick Anyone else know anything about the tranny conversion/swap??? THANKS YAW
Old 05-18-10, 02:50 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it sounds like having a manual transmission would make the car more fun to drive. And it might do just that. But it will cost you a lot of money to do it. And it will never be quite right. When you make a major change to a vehicle like this, it is never quite like it would be if it was made that way. You may not be as happy with it as you think. And you will have spent a lot of money doing it. This car was not made to have a manual transmission. You may want to rethink this. It would be far better to purchase a vehicle manufactured with a manual trans. Or, purchase a 2006 + and use the auto shift capability. Just some thoughts to consider. I actually did this years ago with a Mustang. It ended up costing me a lot. The end result was not nearly as good as I had hoped for.
Old 05-18-10, 04:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd try the manumatic function first to see how you like it. Instead of putting it in drive, start out with it in 1st and manually move through the gears yourself. A lot of owners do that and really love it. Makes a big difference.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-18-10, 04:57 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it only makes sense to me if you're swapping out the engine too and building a beast of a car. there's not much tuning you can do with our engines.
Old 05-19-10, 08:22 PM
bagyo
Driver

Dang MDames2 now you got me second guessing if i should invest my hard earned money on the build, because true Lexus are quality built cars in stock form. Harold57 ill give that a try but its not quite the same as True stick shift fun yah know. Liquid SC i was planning on low Psi Turbocharging with upgraded Fuel pump and injectors, i was told just 6-7Psi of boost won't stress the stock internals much and won't hamper the reliability too much, according to AeroDyne Industries and some mechanic friends. I really wish Lexus made cars that are for more oldschool driving enthusiasts, i know that dual clutch tranny's(like on the ISF) are the way of the future and save precious seconds but they just don't feel as fulfilling to drive. BMW still offers Manuals along with their Clutchless Manuals, Lexus should have that option. Still Love Lexus though THANKS ALL for the input!
Old 05-27-10, 01:21 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Toyota made the SC430 with the manual tranny as another option, then I think a lof more people will jump in and buy it and won't look for other cars.
Old 04-22-13, 11:44 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

I love this thread. It's exactly what I have been looking for. I have a lease now that'll be up next year so I'm looking around now for a SC430 to have as a daily driver. But I want to incorporate my R154 I have. Where should I look to get miscellaneous parts such as the clutch pedal and hardware to install it. I already have a quantum-auto.com trans swap kit for the UZ motor just need the bellhousing.
Old 04-22-13, 12:14 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the $ you can make the SC430 into a submarine. But yes it can be done.
Old 04-24-13, 08:39 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
If you have the $ you can make the SC430 into a submarine. But yes it can be done.
Well said, that about sums it up.

Learn by doing, that's my motto. And one thing I learned when I dropped a 1500 GT Cortina engine w/close ratio gear box in my 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite the rear axle will twist (stock engine was 948cc). Fix that and then install disc brakes so you can stop it. Then add sway bars, fatter tires, new rims, etc etc. $$$$$ but in the end it's worth it for you, but maybe not for the next owner.
Old 10-10-13, 06:15 AM
samlebo44
Driver School Candidate

Just curious, anyone ever find any details on how to get a manual transmission in???

I sold off my SC300 project and I'm very interested in attempting a SC430 project
thanks
Old 10-12-13, 11:26 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into doing a manual swap on my '99 SC400. The W58 is the cheapest and easiest way to go, but I'm looking into the stronger R154 tranny, which I believe I'd be the first to do on a 98+ SC. The V161 is another option but thats an extremely expensive tranny more reserved for high hp JZ engines. A bunch of SC owners have successfully done W58/R154 swaps on old OBD1 SC's, but there are very few OBD2 SC's or 98+ SC's that have a manual swap done.

There are direct swap kits available on 1uzswapkit.com, and quantum-auto. If you're really set on doing the swap then look arond in australian SC forums, as they have done a lot as far as modding UZ engines.

Some of the things youll need to consider are the positionsing of the shifter, you may need a custom drive shaft fabricated to work in the SC430, most likely a manual differential that will work (LSD of some sort), you'll need someone expierienced with auto electrical stuff because of all the electrical issues with mating the tranny to your SC430's OBD2computer, speed sensors, all other sensors, etc. You'll end up with a bunch of CEL's which you'll have to take care of before you can drive it (dependign on which state you live in). Good chance that the car wont even start with the manual tranny in - another thing that will need to be figured out electrically. In addition to all this, some people ended up with weird issues like not having the memeory seat function working anymore, so you'll have to expect a lot of weird unplanned issues popping up - especially since the SC430 has a condiserable bit more electronics than SC400's do.

Hope that kinda info doesnt discourage you, I definitely think the swap is possible, but its good to know what is involved before taking on a project like this. Being prepared and expecting certain things will save you money and get your car back on the road sooner. Good advise form some of the earlier posters in the this thread, theres always a chance the swap doesnt go to your liking and things might not be just quite right, epsecially if mistakes and shortcuts are made.