SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Keyed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 10:18 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keyed!!!

Yesterday, my daughter took some of her friends bowling and later to CiCi's to celebrate her birthday. She had asked me to take her around in the SC while my wife chauffeured her friends in the GX. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to the garage this morning....there is a long scratch running across the rear PS fender, and a short, faint scratch on the same side door....near the front fender Take a look.

Keyed!!!-scratch.jpg

This one is a close up :

Keyed!!!-close-up.jpg

I am so mad right now......was like this the whole day.
I can't believe someone will key my car....on my daughter's birthday! Already called the insurance and let the agent know...he is a good friend of mine so I know he will give me good advice. What do you guys think? Is this repairable, i.e. taken out without getting the fender painted. I was able to buff out the one on the door. Now one can only see it from a certain angle...and even then one has to look for it. However, the one on the fender remains so perhaps a pro can fix it. But, if it is found necessary to repaint the fender then should I get the door too? Should I get this done at a Lexus body shop?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 04-25-10, 10:44 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks. people are *******s. a professional detailer may be able to buff it out. from the pic, it looks like it's in the clear coat. i'd give that a try first. if that doesn't work, some lexus dealers have their own body shop. if yours doesn't call and ask what shop they recommend. also call other high end dealers and ask who they suggest. then get estimates from 3 or 4 and go with the one you're most comfortable with. if you do end up getting the fender painted, i would go ahead and do the door too. scratch remover doesn't really remove the scratch. it fills it in. but it comes back over time and you have to buff it out again.
Old 04-26-10, 06:26 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

your situation is one we all dread.
it's seems to be hard to keep nice things nice in this world.

do your due diligence, get it done, move on and park it in the far lot from on.
I often need to remind myself that the long walk is good for my (430) health.
Old 04-26-10, 08:55 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks, hope it isnt to bad
Old 04-26-10, 09:36 AM
Lapraka
Driver

MAJOR FAIL!!!!!! Last year my friend i was in the same place as you... Got 4 panels keyed! In retrospect I'm glad i didn't see who did it... because... i would have ended up in jail myself! LOL!

Long story short the scratch was very deep and they had to paint the panels. I had comprehensive and since it was classified as "Vandalism" all i had to pay was the $200 deductible with no penalty from GEICO!

I feel for you man.
Old 04-26-10, 10:06 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bro on such a good day too...we all dread this....good luck and the advice I would offer is the same as everyone else just take the car to a reputable body shop.
Old 04-26-10, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i guess next time you will get your daughter the present she REALLY asked for and this wont happen next year...

j/k man that sucks someone keyed my drivers door along time ago. i wanted to cry

Old 04-26-10, 10:29 AM
Tyke
Driver

Sons of B*** When I just had gottem my GS400 a while back someone did that to the front passenger door, I know exactly how u feel..i had to repaint my whole door
Old 04-26-10, 10:43 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks man I remember my friend just bought his m3 he got it
keyed. Then he got new sc430 also keyed all within a month of purchase. They were all black cars so I'm hesistant to get a dark colored car. I think touching it up is an option. He touched it up and it's hard to tell unless you look for it.
Old 04-26-10, 03:22 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi Options,

Crummy deal all around. I know, I had this happen to my BMW.

I suggest you try to find a VERY good body shop. It will take time but it will be worth it IMO.

I would also recommend that you have the door repainted. The shop will want to do this. Get everything fixed and then move on in life.

Mine happened when I was parked at the far end of a very large parking lot; they had to walk quite a distance to get to the car.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I also, at one time, owned a VW camper van; it got keyed with a quite nice 'F*** YOU' on the side of it.
Old 04-26-10, 05:26 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would ask he Lexus dealer who they use..and go there..
Katy
Old 04-26-10, 06:56 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Hi Katy,

I found the very good bodyshop that I have been using for 15+ yrs now by looking in the local Porsche Club magazine.

I made the assumption that a doofus shop would not waste their money placing an ad in a Porsche magazine; and I was right.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 04-27-10, 08:52 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

I hope you get it fixed and it'll be back just like new.

martini3
Old 04-27-10, 09:48 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear about such vandalism... Take a look at this product, I've had some good results, and for less than $15 and some time you may be able to make a difference. Check out the video on the link from Amazon it explains the product thoroughly.

http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US.../dp/B000UVUAFO
Old 04-28-10, 08:30 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the comforting words and some good advice.

I was able to take most of the scratch out (about 70%) from the fender by mostly using "Simoniz fix it! for clear coat". I also used a turtle wax polish (for black cars) that comes highly recommended to remove swirls and fine scratches. I will post some pictures soon along with the name of the turtle wax product.

I am currently leaning towards taking it to a local body shop/detailer who is claiming that he can fix the scratch by applying/filling it with a clear epoxy(?), sanding and then polishing it with a compound. I am apprehensive about this process, especially the sanding part. But he has given me a demonstration of the sanding and polishing procedure on a metallic part to show that it is "safe" and wouldn't scratch the paint. So I am partially convinced and will let him try it on the fender area next week. If successful, I will let him do the whole car (minus sanding) to remove the swirls and fine scratches for $200.

However, if the body shop is unsuccessful in taking the scratch out from the fender area then I will get the fender and the door painted at a Lexus shop. My insurance agent has agreed to set up a claim.....has already filed a police report.

Let me know if any of you have heard (or have experience) of the process that the local body shop is suggesting to take the scratch out.

Thanks once again.

Quick Reply: Keyed!!!