SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sound System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 09:50 AM
StuntJaxSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Problem

I use the "set" feature on the left side of the steering wheel to set my audio system volume control at a comfortable level so I can quickly reduce the volume when a cop drives by or something! However, I have noticed that every now and then, the set feature malfunctions and sets the volume at an incredibly high level that hurts my ears and completely distorts the sound. After my heart jumps out of my chest, I immediately worry about blowing my speakers and reduce the volume. I also noticed that under the sound controls, the bass, treble, mid and bal/fade are all set to + signs, and I have to turn them left from 10 rather than usual maximum of 5! Has anyone else had this problem, because it's happened to me about four or five times now and I'm worried about damaging the speakers. I'd appreciate any advice or comments, thanks!!!

VJ
Old 06-11-02, 04:30 PM
liners
Driver School Candidate

Your dealer will replace the amp. Do it before you have a heart attack!
Old 06-11-02, 06:34 PM
DropTop430
Driver

I had the exact same problem.....Dealer thought I was crazy but same thing, dials setting and everything..the fix was to change the whole radio...Let me know if you want more info....
Old 06-14-02, 07:22 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a new amp. Just tell them some times you have no sound from the radio at all. There's some problem with Mark Levinson amp. They have a couple of technical service bullentins for that.
Old 06-17-02, 11:18 AM
StuntJaxSC430
Driver School Candidate

thank you all very much! Your comments were very helpful and I'll take my car to the dealer right away!
Old 06-18-02, 04:01 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

There is no problem what it is doing is normal. Goto a low volume, then hold the button down continously until you here a beep. That programs in a preset volume. It can be a high or a low volume. Now when ever you press the button it will go to the preset volume. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-08, 09:59 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it took 6 years, but I have the same problem that StuntJaxSC430 had in '02. He probably doesn't even use this site anymore since he only has posted notes 6 times. I'd love to ask him how they fixed his car. Like him I noticed that under the sound controls, the bass, treble, mid and bal/fade are all set to + signs, and I have to turn them left many clicks just to have the settings on the normal part of the scale. Actually, my car did this when I first picked it up in '02 and has never done it since. Just in the last several days I've had loud popping and the volume will jump up to unbearable levels. The only thing different is I never touched the steering wheel controls the last several days. I'll start up the car with the stereo making loud pops and jumping to loud volumes, very erratic. Tonight, after it did that, then there was no sound, I dialed down all the settings. No sound all the way to the store, then when I got back in the car at the store, the sound system worked fine all the way home.

By reading the old posts, it sounds like my amp will need to be replaced if it continues to act up and the parts dept. told me it's $675 for the amp!

Robert
Old 04-02-08, 08:29 AM
rscharf
Driver

Default Amplifier needs to be replaced

Stopped by the dealership yesterday morning.

Verdict is that the amplifier needs to be replaced. ~$750 parts & labor, at least the warranty repair price.

Lexus customer service and the dealership are talking. I plan to insist that they cover the entire cost. In my eyes, this was a known defect (bad amps) back to when the car was first introduced. A problem on other models too I think.

Well, if this ever happens to anyone else, there is a 30 amp fuse under the hood that you can pull so your eardrums aren't blown.

Even when the radio was off on the way to the dealer, the speakers made such loud snapping noises it made me jump.

I'll post the outcome once they get back to me.

Robert
Old 04-02-08, 09:11 AM
bt430
Pole Position

I had the cracking noise when off also. I belive they replaced the radio and the amp, luckliy I was still under warranty.

BT
Old 04-04-08, 02:51 PM
rscharf
Driver

Default Lexus Covering the Amp!

Corporate Lexus is covering the cost of the amp, I just need to pay for the labor!

Once again, I'm impressed with the support we get from Lexus!

Robert
Old 04-04-08, 05:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to hear, replacement used amps also come up on Ebay for $50+ from time to time for those not under warranty and willing to risk a used unit.
Old 05-29-12, 06:00 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation

Friends,

I have a 2002 SC430 and I have run into the same issue where the sound system randomly goes to maximum volume when first turned on and the screen displays strange plus signs (+) and symbols on the screen. Like the folks above, I have to adjust all the volume al the way down and all the audio settings (like bass, treble) back to "0" (one click to the left from the "+" position shows "9"). Please see the pictures which were taken immediately after the incident. This may not be relevant, but I always plug in an MP3 player via the cassette tape input which may cause some static energy build-up (this is just a guess, but the sound system always makes some cracking sounds when I plug in the cable from the tape input into my MP3 player, but rarely causes this loud noise issue).

This happens once every 3 months or so, but it's loud enough to blow out ear drums. If indeed this is an issue with the stock amp, has anyone independently confirmed this? Does anyone have the schematic or the amp removal/swap service procedure handy?

If anyone else has recently experienced this almost deafening experience please chime in and share your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Sound System Problem-img-20120529-00120.jpg   Sound System Problem-img-20120529-00121.jpg   Sound System Problem-img-20120529-00122.jpg   Sound System Problem-img-20120529-00123.jpg   Sound System Problem-img-20120529-00124.jpg  

Last edited by jasone36; 05-29-12 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-15-12, 07:39 AM
jasone36
Instructor

UPDATE:

One month after my last issue, I experienced the same loud sound system problem. All three times when this occurred to me the roof was down. I am seeing another common thread, right before the system became super loud I used the "SET" button to get my audio sound to a near-silent level (I had set the 'SET" button to a near-silent level after my last loud audio issue one month ago). So I turn on the FM radio and the very loud sound started I immediately held down the "VOLUME DOWN" button on the steering wheel to gradually reduce the volume, then I remember that I can press the "SET" button to get the radio to a near-silent level, so I press the "SET" button expecting it to become almost silent, but INSTEAD it goes BACK to being at full volume! This was quite surprising because I know I set the "SET" button to a super LOW level. As in my last post, the equalizer, base, and fade settings on the radio were all showing plus signs or other abnormal characters.

My only take-away from this is now I will avoid using the "SET" button altogether, perhaps it is the true culprit of the loud sound issue.

If anyone has any recent experiences with the loud audio please let me know.
Old 06-29-12, 11:16 AM
jasone36
Instructor

YET ANOTHER UPDATE:

So this happened to me again... my ears are really taking a beating. This time, it happened with the top up (if it makes any difference). But I believe this time I have further narrowed down the issue. I turn the radio on (set to cassette because I use it as MP3 input), and it turns on at a low volume as expected, then I accidentally press the "SET" button on the steering wheel and BAM... the audio goes to full volume, the balance/treble controls on the radio screen display weird plus signs, and all the same symptoms as shown in the images above.

I am 100% sure I set the "SET" button to the absolute lowest setting possible (essentially "silent") after my last incident.

At this point, I think I narrowed it down to the "SET" setting getting messed up and cranking up the volume when it should minimize it. Now I am going to do my best to stay away from the "SET" button (and maybe all the steering wheel controls altogether) to avoid this problem in the future. I guess this is the price I pay for buying the first year version of a new model car...
Old 06-29-12, 02:44 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

It's not the SET button. It's the AMP and it was documented with a TSB a long time ago. If I were you I'd take the car in and talk with the service mgr about it.. Sure your car is WAY out of warranty but maybe the Dealer and Lexus can work something out ...you know the relentless pursuit of perfection...especially since they published a TSB on problem...you could argue the previous owner never played music in the car.. Here's the TSB...
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Sound System Problem