SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Having Problems with Roof Retracting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 09:45 AM
asnyder83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Problems with Roof Retracting

I went to put the top down on the SC430 today and the trunk opened up like usual and the roof started to retract but then stopped once it was inside the trunk but did not set all the way into place and then the trunk lid would not close ontop of it. I was able to reverse it and the roof came back ontop of the car like usual. Then when I tried it again it wouldn't retract at all unless I shut the car off and started it again. The roof would then retract and do the same thing as before.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it? I've never had this problem before and had the top down last week with no problems so I'm unsure of what could have caused this. The pullout mat in the trunk was in place as well. Any help in appreciated.
Old 04-12-10, 04:08 PM
MadHungari
Rookie

As the previous owner of a Mercedes SLK, I'll pass on what is suggested on the SLK forum when experiencing such a problem: (1) check the hydraulic fluid level and (2) lubricate the hinges, joints, and latches. Does this apply to the SC? I'm too new to the car to know. Please let us know what the cause/fix is. And good luck.
Old 04-13-10, 05:40 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The SC430 roof mechanism is all electric. There are something like 22 motors and countless microswitches to tell the top computer what's going on.

You say the roof doesn't set all the way into place in the trunk. Really stupid question...you don't have anything back there, do you? Anything under the tonneau cover? Did you double-check that the tonneau cover is set properly in place on both sides?

If all is well in the trunk, you probably have a bad microswitch...which means a trip to the dealer to diagnose the bad one and replace.
Old 04-13-10, 06:34 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Default Learning . . .

Thanks, Habious. This is why I joined the forum--to learn all that I can about this great vehicle. And good for Lexus for going with electrics--the hydraulic system in the SLK, especially the first generation, is a real PITA! I just hope the same doesn't hold for the SC as it ages. And again, asnyder83, please let us know the outcome.
Old 04-13-10, 08:06 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Habious is correct. To determine what went wrong, a diagnostic is now necessary at the dealer to see what trouble codes were stored in the ECU when the fault occurred. There are several motors that MUST stay in sync for the roof to operate properly. It could be anything from a worn contact in panel switch to open/close the roof, to a loose harness connection, a short or loose ground wire, to a malfunction with the tonneau cover switch. There are literally four pages of trouble codes.

But with all that said, Habious is also correct, was the tonneau cover properly seated in the switch? If so, take it in and let them scan it for trouble codes.
Old 04-21-10, 09:23 PM
drsaab1
Driver School Candidate

any updates to the problem, mine is having similar issues.
Old 04-21-10, 09:37 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Some freebee checks you can do:

Un-fasten the cargo cover and re-fasten it. Make sure it is seeded properly.

Make sure there is NOTHING back there at all. Check hinges to see if they are lubricated and nothing obstructing them as well.

Make sure when you press the button you are holding it down securely for the entire cycle. Sometimes I fool with my shades or music and backing up while I am dropping the top and don't put my finger on it all the way.

Try resetting ECU (unplugging battery for 30 minutes or so). Perhaps at one time something was in the way or the cargo cover was not pulled and it messed up a sensor.

Then best advice if all this fails is to head to the dealer.

You don't have a sirius xm antenna or anything mounted on your top...do you?

Sorry for the silly questions...just trying to rule out some things. These tops have been relatively trouble free, but over the past year or so, we have been hearing more and more troubles with 02-03 tops.

Have you tried manually lowering/raising it? Any indicator light changes on the switch?
Old 04-22-10, 06:06 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this exact same thing happen to me last week. I have it booked in for an appointment tomorrow morning, and can update you guys on what the dealer finds.
Old 04-23-10, 10:23 AM
drsaab1
Driver School Candidate

yeah my top was retracting, but the rear parcel shelf was not tilting upwards to allow the top to fit underneath it and then the parcel shelf should come back down over the roof in the open position to seal it between the rear seat and the trunk. I think it is a switch/hinge that controls that parcel shelf or a malfunction in the two little swing arms that come out from the parcel shelf to cover the quarter panel area.

anyways would like to see what they found since mine is out of warranty and at least i would have an idea from your experience on cost/problems.

my dealer said there is only 3 top fixes they have ever done and they were in $1800 range.
Old 04-24-10, 08:26 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Okay it ended up being a hinge pin on the drivers side. I'm trying to find a diagram but am having no luck so far. What had happened is the pin had vibrated out and just needed pushed back in, but the cap that is supposed to stop that from happening has disappeared, and can only be purchased with the whole hinge assembly ($$$$). There isn't enough pin showing (3mm) to drill a hole and put in a cotter pin, so it's just something I'm going to have to keep an eye on. Roof works fine now, but I can hear that pin creaking when i go over bumps. It's actually pretty loud too, I'm not sure how I'll fix that yet.

I'll try and get a picture, it's actually pretty easy to access, don't need to remove any panels or anything. It took the dealership 1/2 an hour to diagnose the problem.
Old 04-24-10, 08:39 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you considered having Toyota dealer fix? Labor might be cheaper and they may be hungrier to take the business considering Toyota's times right now? Might be worth checking....just a thought.
Old 04-25-10, 04:37 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you put one of those push locking washers, (the ones you might see holding on a wheel, not sure what they are called) might be able to pick one up at a hardware store. (Our near-by Sears is a farm store (lots of hardware and no clothes not sure what they are called) and they have a good selection of fastners) Also if you can get a hammer and a center punch in there, make sure the pin is in it's place all the way and center punch the pin close to where it sticks out. This would help keep it from working out.
Old 04-25-10, 07:24 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

There called a E washer. If you can file a groove into the pin then thats all you will need for the e washer to hold. they came in many sizes. The groove just needs to be thin just enough to catch the tabs of the e washer
Old 04-26-10, 04:32 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info, Buddy I don't think I ever knew what they were called. I know, I always hated them if I had to take something apart. But for assembly they are usually very nice to work with. I do believe that they would also work without the groove, but would work really super with the groove. Never realized that you had so many mods.
Old 04-28-10, 08:38 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

I'm going to try your suggestion Eddy/mrblister, if I can figure out a way to get the pin out easily. The creaking is unbearable, over every bump it makes the noise.

Last edited by Z3NK1; 04-28-10 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Having Problems with Roof Retracting