SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

One more tire question - Can this be done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 08:05 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One more tire question - Can this be done?

The recommended tire size for oem wheel is 245/40/18. I will be switching over to regular tires soon and am wondering if anyone has tried slightly "fatter" tires, 245/45/18. I know this is not the "sporty" look but what I care the most about is a smooth ride and do not want to feel every bump in the road The overall diameter will increase by about an inch which may be O.K. (an assumption) as many of you have switched to bigger wheels. However, I still do not know if this will cause any issue like rubbing? So, is this possible? Am interested in hearing pros and cons.

I am loving every aspect of this car , except perhaps the RFT performance.

Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 03-12-10, 04:53 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Good morning.

I do not know about the size you question but I can tell you that I changed from the RFT immediately after obtaining my 2008 SC. The Michelin tires I bought have given me a very comfortable and safe ride. I think these tires are a perfect fit to make the SC ride the way a touring car should ride.

Here is the data listed by Michelin:

MICHELIN Pilot® Sport A/S 245/40ZR18 93Y
Sidewall: Black Sidewall
Model # (MSPN): 75552 Sure Grip in Wet, Dry, and Even Snow
Hold the Road - High-Speed Confidence1

245 Tire Tread is 245 millimeters in width
40 Tire height is 40% as great as the width
R A radial tire
18 Overall wheel size in inches
Z Tire speed rating is 149 mph or 240 km/h
93Y Tires with a speed rating higher than 186 mph (300 km/h) are indicated by a Y . The load rating is often included within the parenthesis, e.g. (86Y).

Air Inflation: 33psi each tire
Old 03-12-10, 07:54 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
The recommended tire size for oem wheel is 245/40/18. I will be switching over to regular tires soon and am wondering if anyone has tried slightly "fatter" tires, 245/45/18. I know this is not the "sporty" look but what I care the most about is a smooth ride and do not want to feel every bump in the road The overall diameter will increase by about an inch which may be O.K. (an assumption) as many of you have switched to bigger wheels. However, I still do not know if this will cause any issue like rubbing? So, is this possible? Am interested in hearing pros and cons.

I am loving every aspect of this car , except perhaps the RFT performance.

Thanks.

Cheers.
Looks like you will have a speedo error of 3.77% too fast (+2.2mph @ 60mph)

Here's a link on +1 sizing from Discount Tire

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...PlusSizing.jsp

Here's a link for comparison numbers:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
Old 03-12-10, 08:08 PM
Alterious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions from Discount tire and i told them that they were cheaper on tirerack.com they beat their price and i love those tires i think they were rated 9.1 with good warranty.
Old 03-13-10, 02:36 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EJC
Looks like you will have a speedo error of 3.77% too fast (+2.2mph @ 60mph)

Here's a link on +1 sizing from Discount Tire

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...PlusSizing.jsp
Thanks EJC. So speedo error could be one of the drawbacks. Actually, I will be fine with this much error.

Has anyone done this...which is gone to a thicker profile tire to make the ride even smoother than the low profile, regular tires. Everyone suggests to get rid of the RFTs because these are "harder" than the regular ones; also some suggest that the SC ride is not smooth because it rides on low profile tires. I just combined the two suggestions to come up with my question. Also, I want to avoid the misalignment issue that the SC is prone to because of low profile tires.

My standard is the "magic carpet ride" of my GX. I know this could be nearly impossible to get out of SC but can it get close ?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-10, 03:38 PM
xenonrider
Driver School Candidate

I've been running 'fatter' tires on my SC for over a year now. In my case, it's using 245/35/20's instead of 245/30/20's. It also helps to fill out the wheel gap a bit as well.

I've had 30-series tires in the past and they were a nightmare! Thus far, I've enjoyed the results and would keep the fatter tires next time I need to replace them.

As for the speedo, the speedo's are alway off by a mile or two. imo, 3.77% is no big deal. For me, the extra comfort and pothole protection definite out weighs the minimal speedo error.
Old 03-14-10, 01:54 PM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

I asked a similar question not long ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...macy-mxv4.html
Old 03-15-10, 06:08 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Glock3540
I asked a similar question not long ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...macy-mxv4.html
Yes, you did. Appears you didn't get many responses either.

Did you try the "45 profile" tires?

Thanks.

Last edited by Options2k; 03-15-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-15-10, 01:12 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Options2k - I noticed no one was addressing your actual question. In that (as you surmised) most everyone here wanted a sportier look, I don't remember anyone ever trying the /45 size.

Considering the LARGE amount space around the stock setup, I would think you could run a /45 size and not come even close to rubbing. You might want to run it by a Discount Tire store rep for confirmation...

When I went to a wider, staggered setup, I too wanted more rubber and went with 35-40 sizes, rather than the more usual 30-35 sizes. And everytime I'm on the freeway to Las Vegas, I'm glad I did.

My 2 cents...
Old 03-15-10, 10:22 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roofless
Hi Options2k - I noticed no one was addressing your actual question. In that (as you surmised) most everyone here wanted a sportier look, I don't remember anyone ever trying the /45 size.

Considering the LARGE amount space around the stock setup, I would think you could run a /45 size and not come even close to rubbing. You might want to run it by a Discount Tire store rep for confirmation...

When I went to a wider, staggered setup, I too wanted more rubber and went with 35-40 sizes, rather than the more usual 30-35 sizes. And everytime I'm on the freeway to Las Vegas, I'm glad I did.

My 2 cents...
Thanks. Good advice on checking with the Discount tire rep.

Did you keep the 18" wheels? What specs in the staggered set up?
Old 03-16-10, 12:00 AM
Alterious
Driver

ok here is a question i am buying tires tomorrow and i ordered new wheels they are staggared fronts are 20x8.5 +35 offset and rears are 20x10 + 45 offset i was thinking about going with Falken FK452 225/35-20 on the fronts and 275/30-20 on the rear what do you guys think?

Last edited by Alterious; 03-16-10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 01:54 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Options2k
Did you keep the 18" wheels? What specs in the staggered set up?
Yes. I went with a very conservative (comfort) setup, because I had a BMW M3 (E46) at the time (with 19 inch low profile tires) as my gravel scraper.

245/40/18 - Front
275/35/18 - Rear
Old 03-16-10, 09:45 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roofless

245/40/18 - Front
275/35/18 - Rear
Nice setup. Did you buy custom wheels? Is it possible for you to post a picture of your setup?

This is essentially the same setup I had thought of at one time when I was thinking of buying custom (wider) wheels. The only difference was 285/35/18 in the rear to make the rear slightly taller (by 0.1") than the front. Additionally, this would have given more "footprint" in the rear. At the moment, I have shelved this idea though and am thinking of keeping the normal setup with possibly changing to bigger profile tires. But, then again, perhaps a picture of your setup may rekindle this thought again.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-10, 11:36 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Take a look--->

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nyon-pics.html
______
Attached Thumbnails One more tire question - Can this be done?-nve00113.jpg  
Old 03-17-10, 05:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I personally wouldn't go 225 on the front...I guess depending on wheel lip you could be ok, but I think you are asking for a heartache the first time you even graze any sort of curb. It's bad enough with the 245's in the front, but 225 would give you no protection on your wheel, unless the wheel lip was almost non-existant.

Love the pics up above, BTW!

Quick Reply: One more tire question - Can this be done?