SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Acceleration Discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 11:37 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Discrepancies

I am considering the SC430 and I have a question regarding acceleration. Lexus claims 0-60 of 5.9 sec. Most car publications put it at 6.7 to 6.9 sec.
This is a big difference. Does Lexus typically overstate performance numbers? Any opinions on why such a discrepancy?
Old 05-29-02, 12:43 PM
DropTop430
Driver

There can be many many reasons for differences in times.

First the number given by the maker of the car is usually the best time ever recorded for that model, perhaps they were able to get that number only once but did 20 or 30 0-60 runs.

I am not saying that they used a ringer to get that number for that time but why not advertise the fact that you made a car that could run 5.9. Even if that average was a little higher than that, all companies do it. In every industry....

Car magazines tend to use averages for times,

They test going one way and then reverse the direction and then average out the two times

They also may test on a day that is hot or cold, very humid or very dry

On a sticky tarmac that allows for better tire hook up or a slick surface with poor traction.

It might be a press car that has been driven hard by many many people and could be in need of service (new tires, transmission adjustment etc....)

The car could be new and not yet broken in, times have been known to drop after an engine has been driven for a while. The way a car is launched has a lot to do with this as well. Not only in manual cars but cars with automatic transmissions as well

Any one of those differences can and does easily account for a second over such a short amount of time and distance

That being said, people tend to place way too much importance on 0-60 times. Just like they do with HP figures, I remember what someone once told me, people buy cars because of horsepower but what they really want it TORQUE.

Chances are you would never even know if you ran a 5.9 0-60 or a 6.7.

Real world driving consists of much much more than that, merging onto highways as so on. I see what you are asking about the times but don't let 0-60 times make a break a car buying decision for you. And in my opinion Lexus doesn't overstate their performance numbers....
Old 05-29-02, 01:00 PM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

That being said, people tend to place way too much importance on 0-60 times. Just like they do with HP figures, I remember what someone once told me, people buy cars because of horsepower but what they really want it TORQUE.

Chances are you would never even know if you ran a 5.9 0-60 or a 6.7.

Real world driving consists of much much more than that, merging onto highways as so on. I see what you are asking about the times but don't let 0-60 times make a break a car buying decision for you. And in my opinion Lexus doesn't overstate their performance numbers.... [/B]
It's just that when I look at other cars performance claims they are pretty close to what the car mag tests show- at least within .2 or.3 seconds. This is a pretty big difference. Also, I disagree about not knowing the difference between the feeling of a 5.9 sec vs. a 6.7 0-60 run. That is a big difference that puts the car in one performance league vs. another. I currently drive an Audi S4 which ran about 5.9 stock. When I chipped it to where it runs closer to 5.0-5.2, I could feel a huge difference.
I agree that you have to drive the car to get the full experience and understand that the SC430 is not a stop light racer but I don't think it is very common to see such a significant difference in claimed vs. tested performance.
Old 05-29-02, 01:49 PM
DropTop430
Driver

I hear what you are saying, but bear in mind in the case of your S4 it was your car that you did it to, you knew what it felt like before and after...

Any change you would have noticed because you were used to the way it pulled before and after.

In a car that you were not familiar with I wonder if you would be quite as aware of it....

I agree there is a difference in a second and that cars are put into different performace fields because of it. I just think that there are many better ways to compare than numbers and people get lost in the numbers, more often than not, its a ego thing where people want to have the fastest car 0-60 and just ask that question only, how long from 0-60, its a test that has been made popular by mags such as Road and Smack and the other usual suspects...I like the 0-100-0 test as well as 1/4 mile times and trap speeds..those are true measures...
Old 05-29-02, 07:41 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Angry

0-60 times are very important. If the manufacturer states one specification, and the typical production vehicle does not obtain that figure, then the manufacturer is being unethical.
0-60 times relate to street driving. When you are at a light, and wish to jump ahead of traffic to change lanes, that decision is made considering your expected accelleration times compared to the times of the vehicle next to you. If it is a truck, you go for it, if it is a Viper, you wait and fall behind him in line. Do not minimize the importance of published specifications.

I believe the problem in the SC 430's case is the traction control system, which slowes down the car if it detects wheel spin, overcoming the powerful engine with brakes.
Old 05-29-02, 08:10 PM
DropTop430
Driver

I do not agree with you about how you relate 0-60 times to getting ahead of traffic at a stop light (street driving) How many people actually look over and make that sort of decision. I would argue that few do. I do it and you might but more often than not it just means that you are going to try and time the light and get the jump off the line. I have personally seen way too many people run reds to get involved in that sort of activity... I prefer my T-Bones on a plate rather than in my car.

Just how much distance do you think there is between a car that gets to 60mph 1-2 sec faster than another? That is if they are both leaving the line at full throttle. Not much at all

In my original post I wasn't saying that 0-60 times don't matter I just think using them as a benchmark isn't that telling....

And just for the record I think that the SC430 is able to post those figures under "controlled" conditions.........

And I agree the traction control does limit and hinder those times...
Old 05-30-02, 06:42 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by TOPLEXS
.I believe the problem in the SC 430's case is the traction control system, which slowes down the car if it detects wheel spin, overcoming the powerful engine with brakes.
Can the traction control be turned off if one chooses?
Old 05-30-02, 07:04 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by genearch

Yes, switch on the center console
Do you feel much of a difference in acceleration without it on? Are you able to induce a bit of wheelspin?
Old 05-30-02, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Since the LS 430 which is HEAVIER than the SC 430 does the sprint in 6.6, I believe those times are high. I have seen a 6.1 in Sports Car Internatioanal. THe GS 430 has gotten a 5.9 with the same engine.

I say 6 flat.
Old 05-30-02, 12:58 PM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Since the LS 430 which is HEAVIER than the SC 430 does the sprint in 6.6, I believe those times are high. I have seen a 6.1 in Sports Car Internatioanal. THe GS 430 has gotten a 5.9 with the same engine.

I say 6 flat.
Lexus claims 5.8 0-60 for the GS430.
I think they definitely overstate performance.
Old 05-30-02, 12:59 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If ou want a true reading and want to know what your car will do....the only way to find out for sure is head to a track and run some time trials. Luckily there's one on LI. I used to run my VR4 there. The best time I was ever able to post was a 13.9/98.0.

This was a bit below what the auto mags showed.
Old 05-30-02, 01:00 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
THe GS 430 has gotten a 5.9 with the same engine.

I say 6 flat.
I think 6 to 6.1 sounds about right for the SC430. The GS430 weighs 125 lbs less than the SC430 & puts out the same exact hp & torque.
Old 05-30-02, 04:55 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by letS4nicate

Do you feel much of a difference in acceleration without it on? Are you able to induce a bit of wheelspin?
Answers to your questions are:

YES
YES

The true indication is if you buy the SC430 take it to the track and 1/4 mile it.. I guess a year after I had the GS400 I was able to do this kind of testing and if launched properly the GS claim of 5.9 seconds is bang on.. The limiting factor of the SC430 is the runflat tires because the compound is so hard you don't get a very good launch IMHO.. Lexus could of done there 0-60 test running regular tires for all we know.. Things to think about..
Old 05-30-02, 05:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year 2002
Make Lexus
Model SC430
Trim
Transmission 5-speed Automatic

0-30 mph, Hard Launch 2.1 s
0-40 mph, Hard Launch 3.0 s
0-50 mph, Hard Launch 4.7 s
0-60 mph, Hard Launch 6.0 s
0-70 mph, Hard Launch 8.3 s
0-80 mph, Hard Launch 10.3 s
0-90 mph, Hard Launch 12.6 s
0-100 mph, Hard Launch 15.4 s
1/4 mile, Hard Launch 14.6 s @ 97.4 mph
100 ft, Hard Launch 3.1 s
500 ft, Hard Launch 8 s

0-30 mph, Soft Launch 2.2 s
0-40 mph, Soft Launch 3.1 s
0-50 mph, Soft Launch 4.8 s
0-60 mph, Soft Launch 6.1 s
0-70 mph, Soft Launch 8.4 s
0-80 mph, Soft Launch 10.4 s
0-90 mph, Soft Launch 12.7 s
0-100 mph, Soft Launch 15.5 s
1/4 mile, Soft Launch 14.7 s @ 97.4 mph
100 ft, Soft Launch 3.2 s
500 ft, Soft Launch 8.0 s
Old 05-30-02, 05:17 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really if 0-60 is the limiting factor to getting the SC430 I would just advise you to get a Corvette instead but the stare factor alone of the SC hardtop dropping at a stop light is payback enough..

Quick Reply: Acceleration Discrepancies