SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Acceleration Discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 05:42 PM
LexFather

I think they definitely overstate performance.
Please explain? PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEE.
Old 05-31-02, 05:30 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by genearch
Question:

If it were 0-60 in say 6.8 versus the advertised of 5.9, would that sway your decision?

The reason I ask is because after having my car for six months, I couldn't imagine that having any bearing on my decision. This car is so damned enjoyable.. I rarely push it anyhow
Not really- as I said I was just curious as to the difference because it is not something you commonly see. As I also said I realize the SC430 is not a stoplight racer...
Old 05-31-02, 05:32 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Really if 0-60 is the limiting factor to getting the SC430 I would just advise you to get a Corvette instead but the stare factor alone of the SC hardtop dropping at a stop light is payback enough..
I never said performance was a limiting factor but was simply curious as to the discrepancy between Lexus' claimed times vs. tested times. I also said that I realize the car is not intended as a stop light racer...
Old 05-31-02, 05:33 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Please explain? PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEE.
It's simple. The fact that Lexus claims 5.9 sec 0-60 and numerous independent tests could not even come close- suggests to me that Lexus has overstated the times.
Old 05-31-02, 07:04 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those results I posted earlier were from an independant source. They test every luxury or sports car they can get their hands on. Weird how regardless of the start the car seems to be exactly the same. I would imagine they used better tires than run-flats for the testing.
Old 05-31-02, 07:17 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh boy....I cant believe I am getting involved in this. Kinda long...but it replies to 20 posts worth.

1st, the guy with the Audi....putting a chip in a turbocharged car probably adds something like 40-50 horsepower....I wont get into how stupid it is...hopefully you did more than that, but I say that because most people pay the $500 and when their engine or turbos blow they wonder why they couldnt handle 7Lbs more boost. You would definitely be able to tell a 50hp difference...as for your times how do you know they are accurate unless you went to the track? Even then I doubt they would ever be consistent.

2nd, the track and car mags use different tests, with the exception of Sport compact car and etc who may use the tracks. It is an entirely different setting. Tracks use timing lights no radar guns or anything, it is a perfect science. Not to mention all the variables, thats why mags list temp. humidity....and etc. Oh yeah and without the trac on I have smoked the tires on the SC pretty badily...I literally probably left $20 on the ground from my Pirellis.

3rd, If anyone can duplicate the times in mags god bless them. Having driven a Twin Turbo Supra around for 3 1/2 years, I know that car was about impossible to launch. Optimum level is 10% wheel spin. Or an an auto you put your foot on the brake and rev the car up until the stall converter kicks.

4th, That Supra of mine, my first run at the track I ran a 13.8 a couple visits later and I was in the high 12's, but the car should have been getting low to mid 12's. My point is that those drivers are experts and the Lexus drivers probably spent hours upon hours in the cars whereas the car mags took 4-5 runs in it.

5th, I can tell the difference between 465 and low 4 sec 0-60 times versus the SC's 6 second times, but half a second is not at all easily noticeable it would probably equate to half a car length.

FINALLY...if you are buying this car for that matter then you need to look in the mirror. If i wanted another bullet I would have gotten a corvette, maybe even 2. What I did notice this past memorial day weekend was that this car is incredible. I had crowds forming around the car, people screaming from all over the place, cops, public works people telling me how beautiful the car was.....course it may have just been me they were talking about.
Old 05-31-02, 08:26 AM
letS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexusSC430
FINALLY...if you are buying this car for that matter then you need to look in the mirror. If i wanted another bullet I would have gotten a corvette, maybe even 2. What I did notice this past memorial day weekend was that this car is incredible. I had crowds forming around the car, people screaming from all over the place, cops, public works people telling me how beautiful the car was.....course it may have just been me they were talking about. [/B]
Why does everyone say "if you are buying this car for that matter...." How many times do I have to say, I realize the car is not a stop light racer!! The fact that I currently drive a car that runs about 5 flat 0-60 should make it fairly obvious that I would never be interested in an SC430 if that is all I cared about. I will say it one more time- I was just curious why the differences are so great on the SC430 and not on other cars. Sounds like people are a little defensive when they shouldn't be.
And finally, for you to say how stupid it is to chip a car, shows how little you actually know about the subject. If you want to debate the merits of chipping a car like an S4, I can direct you to the proper forum....
Old 05-31-02, 02:09 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by letS4nicate
And finally, for you to say how stupid it is to chip a car, shows how little you actually know about the subject. If you want to debate the merits of chipping a car like an S4, I can direct you to the proper forum....
No thanks, I know all I need to know. Placing a chip in a car which turns up the boost is dangerous stuff. Im sure it adds more fuel and air as well. But many other precautions must be taken....like I mentioned in my earlier post. If the car were meant to run 15 lbs of boost then it would hav been desinged and sold that way. I know because I had a Supra with a bulletproof iron engine, and other idiot owners used to buy a boost controller and run 23lbs on the turbos and wondered why their engine and/or turbos went. The whole time it was never more efficent then the 16.5 lbs of boost I was running. Hence my point that unless done correctly. I am not saying you are guilty of this, its just simply the case, no different then people who put NOS in a car because it is the cheapest speed. This conversation is neither here nor there and its very off topic so this will be the last I say about it. Many other people have discussed the discrepencies in the times as well as myself. Hope this helps and no hard feelings.