SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake - Is this normal?

Old 02-28-10, 08:08 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Brake - Is this normal?

Had my brake pads replaced about a month ago. I don't drive SC much as it is not my DD but this past weekend, I have noticed especially when I'm at decline hill, I step on my brakes and noticed it 'sorta' lost it grip and wouldn't hold the car in place. Basically I step on brake and noticed the paddle kept on pushing until it's fully engaged. Not something I noticed before. I felt like there is a light stop then full engage which you don't notice it until brake seems to 'give-in'.... not sure how to describe it.

What could it be? Should I be concerned and take it back? Work was done at a local toyota dealer.
Old 02-28-10, 09:14 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like they didn't bleed the master enough or well....I would take back asap!!!
Old 02-28-10, 10:47 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Yep take it back, in fact I call them and may have it towed in. Sounds like air left in the line.
Old 02-28-10, 11:31 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you not notice the problem on the way home? Is it only something you've noticed recently?

Hopefully, it's related to whatever work they did and they will fix it. On the other hand, it could just be a coincidence and be a totally unrelated problem. It sounds like a master cylinder problem.
Old 02-28-10, 12:47 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually had something similar happen at Sewell Infiniti on my 03 FX35 when I had the brake job done...I had a myriad of things done to it and they forgot to re-pressurize properly the master cylinder after they bled. As soon as I was leaving the service drive I was able to notice and yelled, "hold one just one minute dude!".

Take it back and let us know what they say. It's gotta be the master slave with air. If it's working a little (good news, right?) then perhaps all it needs is a re-bleed/pressurize. Shouldn't take them long, you should be able to wait.
Old 02-28-10, 06:20 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Actually had something similar happen at Sewell Infiniti on my 03 FX35 when I had the brake job done...I had a myriad of things done to it and they forgot to re-pressurize properly the master cylinder after they bled. As soon as I was leaving the service drive I was able to notice and yelled, "hold one just one minute dude!".

Take it back and let us know what they say. It's gotta be the master slave with air. If it's working a little (good news, right?) then perhaps all it needs is a re-bleed/pressurize. Shouldn't take them long, you should be able to wait.
Problem is, I don't drive my lexus enough. It actually became my wife's DD and I doubt she would notice anything different. I'm calling them tomorrow to possibly raise hell. Simple brake job took them 4 hrs which I was so upset about. now I have to worry about my wife driving in this condition. It's a brand new toyota dealer.... I sure wouldn't take anything back after this.

I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-10, 11:56 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

So here is an update....
Went back to the dealer, they said I have an internal leak within the master cylinder. Must be replaced. Quoted somewhere between $1500-$1600. Claimed this has NOTHING to do with the brake pads install they did a month ago. So my questions are....

1. if there is an internal leak and not enough brake fluid was going to the calipers, should I see 'brake' light on my speedometer?
2. Timing is weird. I didn't have this problem when I did my pads install. What can I do?

I honestly feel like this dealer is screwing me. I even spoke to the service manager and nothing he would do.

Any options?
Old 03-05-10, 12:46 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Another question... when you're past your original manufacturer warranty, you cannot purchase the extended warranty correct?

Would this item (replacing master cylinder) be covered under the extended warranty? My last 'major' repair - replacing oxygen sensor would have been no issue only if I purchase the warranty....
Old 03-06-10, 05:56 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yes you can purchase an extended warranty after the old one expires. (I just did it last year.) Which one you are able to buy will depend on the mileage of your car. I would think that this item would be covered by the platinum warranty, other warranties would depend on what level you purchase.
Old 03-06-10, 06:20 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Something sure smell fishy here....but proving they damaged it seem all but impossible. Sounds like it time to bite the bullet and take in to a lexus dealer for a professional diagnostic by trained professionals.
Old 03-06-10, 07:24 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Yes you can purchase an extended warranty after the old one expires. (I just did it last year.) Which one you are able to buy will depend on the mileage of your car. I would think that this item would be covered by the platinum warranty, other warranties would depend on what level you purchase.
Can this be done thru any local lexus/toyota dealer? or do you recommend one I can call? Also, can I ask how much?

mine is 04 with 66k miles.
Old 03-06-10, 07:25 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Something sure smell fishy here....but proving they damaged it seem all but impossible. Sounds like it time to bite the bullet and take in to a lexus dealer for a professional diagnostic by trained professionals.
Thinking about it... but because it's past 50k original warranty, I'll be forced to pay a diagnostic fee of $130 at a local lexus dealer.

or should i take it midas or something to get it done???
Old 03-06-10, 08:02 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baboya96
Another question... when you're past your original manufacturer warranty, you cannot purchase the extended warranty correct?
You cannot purchase an extended service plan (ESP) from Lexus after basic warranty expires. However, you can purchase a (used car) warranty from the dealer at the time of the purchase. If you buy from a Lexus dealer you can purchase this warranty from Lexus. However, once you have bought the car and if it's out of basic warranty then the only option left is to get a used car warranty from a third party underwriter like Warranty direct, AAAuto or Fidelity....at least this is what I had concluded when I bough a ESP last time.

Yes, a master cylinder would be covered by Lexus ESP or for that matter most other (good) warranties would cover it.

One more thing....you may still have Lexus Powertrain warranty (6 yrs, 70000 miles). I don't know if a master cylinder is covered under that.....could be worth checking from a Lexus dealer, like VVTiBob suggests.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-10, 08:07 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking about it... but because it's past 50k original warranty, I'll be forced to pay a diagnostic fee of $130 at a local lexus dealer.

or should i take it midas or something to get it done???
I wouldn't take it to Midas....unless you know the manager or a technician there.

My dealer (Westside Lexus in Houston) does a "world class inspection" where they check brakes, tires, fluids etc. if you get an oil change (a total of about $55 out the door). Check if your dealer does something similar....may catch the issue with brakes.
Old 03-06-10, 09:30 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would find a good independent shop to take a look as well. A leak in the master cylinder is not unlikely. If the seals in the master cyl are not creating a tight seal, you could end up with a spongy brake pedal. Most likely the seals were already going bad. I believe you can rebuild or replace the master cyl.

One of my cars had a master cylinder that was beginning to leak. Weird thing was it would only lose pressure when it was hot outside. Pretty scary too. I would be trying to brake and lose all pedal pressure and it would require another pump to build pressure back up.

So here is an update....
Went back to the dealer, they said I have an internal leak within the master cylinder. Must be replaced. Quoted somewhere between $1500-$1600. Claimed this has NOTHING to do with the brake pads install they did a month ago. So my questions are....

1. if there is an internal leak and not enough brake fluid was going to the calipers, should I see 'brake' light on my speedometer?
2. Timing is weird. I didn't have this problem when I did my pads install. What can I do?

I honestly feel like this dealer is screwing me. I even spoke to the service manager and nothing he would do.

Any options?