SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

anyone know if toyota and lexus brake pads identical?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 07:31 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default anyone know if toyota and lexus brake pads identical?

i was going to get aftermarket pads. but my brakes snuck up on me and i had to take it toyota this morning. i'm fine with stock pads as long as it's the same quality. the service rep said toyota pads are the exact same part. he said he could get lexus, but obviously they would cost more. i just wanted to see if anyone could confirm this before i have it done.
Old 02-19-10, 09:07 AM
Yes

i just got the "sales are down and you drive a lexus so we're going to try really hard to screw you" call. they quoted $230 to do the rear brakes, which was fine. so they called and said they might have to replace the rotors. there's absolutely no vibration coming from the brakes, so i doubt that's the case. they claimed my serpentine belt was cracked and wanted $160. i had it replaced last year. they wanted to flush the power steering and transmission fluid. about $450. again, just did it last year. and they want to replace the timing belt. another $450. that's the one thing i do need to do. but with all their bs, i'll drive to another dealer.
Old 02-19-10, 11:53 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most Toyota and Lexus parts are the same, as long as it fits you are good to go. Now there are some parts that only Lexus has because there is no Toyota that uses the similar system, but for the most part we have a good amount of items that are interchangeable between Toyota and Lexus.
Old 02-19-10, 12:35 PM
Yes

cool. i had them use toyota pads.

they called back and said the rotors were fine after i told them there's no way they were bad. it's a little annoying when they try to run up an extra $1000 on your bill. i'm sure they get away with it all the time. first and last time i'll go to this particular toyota.
Old 02-19-10, 09:59 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to get pads for my IS at a Lexus dealership and then the parts guy comes out with a box marked in large font: "TOYOTA"

For my SC, the dealer told me they are 90% worn out and estimated some ridiculous price, so i just went to TireRack online and ordered even better pads for less. Took them to a repair shop and they tell me "You still have plenty of pad left" They tried really hard to convince me that it would be a waste to get them installed.

I will NEVER EVER go to a dealer for parts or service unless there are no other options.
Old 02-19-10, 10:37 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah these days you need to go to someone you trust cause there are two many people that just want to steal your money.
Old 02-20-10, 04:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I went to get pads for my IS at a Lexus dealership and then the parts guy comes out with a box marked in large font: "TOYOTA"

For my SC, the dealer told me they are 90% worn out and estimated some ridiculous price, so i just went to TireRack online and ordered even better pads for less. Took them to a repair shop and they tell me "You still have plenty of pad left" They tried really hard to convince me that it would be a waste to get them installed.

I will NEVER EVER go to a dealer for parts or service unless there are no other options.
^^^^1, good for you ! Still can't believe how many dealers want to rip you off
Old 02-20-10, 07:26 AM
Yes

in my case, i had just over 60,000 miles on the original pads. i knew i needed to get them done, i'd just been very busy. i made two cross country moves over the past 4 months for my job.

then two days ago one of the rear pads wore down to the layer that makes a loud scraping sound. when that happens, you have maybe 100 miles left. so i didn't have time to get aftermarket pads online.
Old 02-20-10, 08:38 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Toyota dealers are going to be even more hungry now to make money since the recall stuff...it surprises me about how much "selling" they did, but then again nothing truly surprises me from a dealer.

Not sure if you guys have Valvoline Instant Oil Change up in KC, Jason, but check them out for fluid flushes/fills next time. I swear by them and they are 2/3rd the price of Toyo and 1/2 the price of lexus services. www.vioc.com

Can you do the serpentine yourself? It's really easy...seriously! I did it and my level of technical expertise is very low! The instructions that pearl power gave us (I think) were awesome on CL. Gatorbacks are $40 at Autozone and should take you no more than 1.5 hours to do tops.
Old 02-20-10, 08:58 AM
Yes

i'm actually in albuquerque now. i'm from kc originally. i moved there in november from vegas. after 2 months of winter, i remembered why i left. i ended up finding a great job here. aside from shady dealerships, it's been great.

i plan on doing the serpentine this afternoon. what's funny was toyota quoted $60 for the part and $100 labor. it probably takes them 10 minutes tops.
Old 02-25-10, 10:38 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Serpentine note, just get the gator back from autozone for like $33 and put it in yourself - Just did mine last weekend and clean up the MAF and Throttle body while I was there. As a side note, I'm almost sure it's not only the dealer that try to rip us off, but the car it's self seems to send a message to (dealer/garage) to rip us off - the price we pay for driving an SC430
Old 02-25-10, 10:43 AM
Yes

i replaced it with the gatorback. $30 at autozone. took 5 minutes. toyota probably pays about $10 for their belts. so they're making $150 on a 5 minute job.
Old 02-26-10, 11:32 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Gatorback is also whisper quiet while my brand new Toyota belt had a noise to it. Not much of a noise but I read on here about the Gatorback so I bought one and changed it. Gatorback is the only way to go!