SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pebble beach edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 07:26 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pebble beach edition

What additional options are there in a pebble beach edition over a similar year non PB edition? I am looking at a 2007 pebble beach and a 2004.....actually negotiating long distance before taking trips. Is the 2007 PB edition worth more than $10K over a 2004? What general improvements can one expect in a 2007?

I am test driving a 2006 tomorrow. I am really going to exhaust the SC430 option before jumping ship I love the looks and people here (the stories) are beginning to convince me that I shouldn't easily give up due to the apparent lack of power or the excessive road/wind noise that I have experienced so far. There is hope.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Options2k; 01-28-10 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 08:34 PM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Difference is tranmission, headlights, taillights, and sideview mirrors. The 06+ models look alot better. so much better that i converted my 02 to the 06+ headlights, hood, bumper, and tail lights.

awesome car, had mine for a year now and loving it.
Old 01-29-10, 04:31 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SCDROPTOP can also provide good info, there was an extensive thread on this subject five months ago, good luck.
Old 01-29-10, 07:47 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default What a difference!

I test drove a 2006 today. Wow!!! What a difference a year makes in the noise level, feel and handling. While the road noise remained the same as before (with 2004 and 2005), I felt the 2006 was an improvement in power and interior noise. Much more quiet with the top down plus the car acceleration was smooth...just like my 2006 GX. I could fall in love with this one

What do you guys think a Non CPO, 2006 (black with tan interior) with about 28K miles worth? The car is in immaculate condition, one owner lease.

How much a set of keys (with remote) would cost for this car? There is only one key with the car. I don't know what to think about this.....

I still don't know what I would be giving up over a PB edition. I could buy a 2007 pebble beach edition (CPO) with 48K miles for about 3 grand more. I haven't seen the car yet. But, it is certified and a 2007! I am beginning to believe that either the 2004 and 2005 I test drove before are just underpowered OR I just got poorly maintained cars so I could go for a 2007 too.

A 3 grand question - A Non-CPO 2006 with 28K miles or a CPO 2007 (PB edition) with about 48K miles? The 2007 is Obsidian with camel interior while the 2006 is black onyx with tan/ecru interior. I don't even know how an obsidian with camel interior compare to an onyx with tan interior. I loved the onyx with tan interior . Please let me know your opinions about the PB edition and the 2 color combos.

Thanks for your help. I am glad I stuck to the Lexus brand instead of jumping on to some German engineering marvel that would have broken down in 2 years!
Old 01-30-10, 04:35 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Options2k
What do you guys think a Non CPO, 2006 (black with tan interior) with about 28K miles worth? The car is in immaculate condition, one owner lease.
Best I can tell you is that I bought my 2005 a year ago, making it just about the same thing you're talking about now because the 2006 is now a year older. It's black/tan and had 21K on it. I got it for $29K back then.
Old 01-30-10, 05:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

For a 06 PB, don't go higher than 31k, be patient, you'll find a nice one on Ebay. Good Luck
Old 01-30-10, 06:12 AM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an '07 PB. I first saw one in Modesto CA in the showroom and knew I had to have it. I wanted the white over red color combo and I liked the basket wheels. I could not find a new one in the east but found one in march '07 with 2,000 miles. Bought it for $55k and have been happy since. I think the main difference in the PB is the color combo. If you are happy with the std colors, go for it. The PB is the same car with a few badges and different floor matts. The wheels were an issue for me since I hated the std wheels and did not want to do after market wheels. The problem for me with pre'06 is primarily the transmission and the look of the headlights. You will love the car. It is basicaly a grand touring car, not a sports car but sufficient performance for real life use. I can load 2 sets of golf clubs and plenty of luggage, drive to Florida, unload the trunk and have an open car for driving around. I would take it anytime over a MB SL. In my opinion more exclusive. Good luck.
Old 01-30-10, 08:18 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Without a doubt, no question asked, the 2007 CPO Pebble Beach for an extra $3k over the 2006 non-cpo is a STEAL!!!! Don't even hesitate.

I looked at Pebble Beach cars for about six months and blew up this forum with details about them. Great pics are posted all over this site. Do a search!

In essence, the 2005 is probably the most unique featured Pebble Beach, but not the rarest. The 2002 Neiman Marcus was the first of the Special Edition SC's with only 100 made. My 2005 Pebble Beach had 500 made.

The 2007 as aforementioned gives you the new tail and headlights (huge improvement in looks) the transmission with manu-matic six speed versus conventional 5 speed auto and a little extra chrome on the front bumper, a little less HP but a faster shifting transmission. The 2005 and up navigation systems are better...but the 2006 and 2007 are exactly the same. In 2005 they offered bluetooth so your 2004 PB you were looking at wouldn't have this.

For MOST pebble beach cars in general you have four distinct options that other SC430's don't have: Side emblems on the fender, limited production, different color combination interiors including floor mats and usually a "bonus" feature like Tumi Luggage or something. The 2004 and 2005 Pebble Beach cars as well as the 2002 Neiman Marcus offered colors that were not available on regular SC's, which is kind of cool too.

The 2005 offered the most differentiating factors over all Pebble Beach Cars. The black is a pearl color, bright pimento red interior, red engine cover, two sets of lexus floor mats, red cargo cover pull and my favorite option-black painted headlight inserts!!! For me, the 2005 Pebble Beach was the coolest most affordable special edition lexus available at the time. The 2007, being two model years newer was about $5-8k more than my car so I opted NOT to buy it, although in my opinion the white on red is the HOTTEST looking SC ever built. Then my # 2 is my car, then # 3 would have to be the neiman marcus. I'm a sucker for the red interior, though. It is VERY red. If you don't LOVE red, I wouldn't recommend this car at all. Get a regular white with camel or black.

There is no doubt that the Pebble Beach editions are worth the slightly higher prices unless you really don't like the color combinations. Couple that with CPO where they go through the car with a fine tooth comb 164 point check, replace worn out or sub standard things and then give you the piece of mind of a 3 year 100k full bumper to bumper warranty with loaner car and free cars washes to me is MUCH worth an extra $3k. Now, just two regular SC's with same mileage one CPO and one non-cpo probably should be about $1500-$2k difference in price. It costs the dealer $992 to certify a car. So in essence you are only paying about $1k for the super special edition and rare 2007!

go for the white 2007---it's a gorgeous car and will be a timeless classic forever. Hell, I may eventually get rid of my 2005 Pebble Beach for the 2007 when they come down to the $30k price.

remember 20k in miles kind of offsets the year difference in the two cars. If both were non-cpo and non-pebble beach, in fact, the 2006 might be more expensive actually. 20k miles less is like adding another 1.5 years in driving on the car!

My pricing for the two cars you have mentioned without seeing them would be:

2006 Black/Tan 28k miles NO-CPO would be $32k...try to buy for $31,500...
2007 Pebble Beach CPO 48k miles $35k-$37k....try to buy for $34,500
Old 01-30-10, 08:19 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Sureteco-wanna trade your extra set of new black pebble beach mats you probably will never use for a set of new red pebble beach mats from my 2005 that I will never use?

this way we can both have a set of red and black pebble beach mats!!!

mine are red with the black pebble beach logo. Let me know!
Old 01-30-10, 02:57 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Without a doubt, no question asked, the 2007 CPO Pebble Beach for an extra $3k over the 2006 non-cpo is a STEAL!!!! Don't even hesitate.

I looked at Pebble Beach cars for about six months and blew up this forum with details about them. Great pics are posted all over this site. Do a search!

In essence, the 2005 is probably the most unique featured Pebble Beach, but not the rarest. The 2002 Neiman Marcus was the first of the Special Edition SC's with only 100 made. My 2005 Pebble Beach had 500 made.

The 2007 as aforementioned gives you the new tail and headlights (huge improvement in looks) the transmission with manu-matic six speed versus conventional 5 speed auto and a little extra chrome on the front bumper, a little less HP but a faster shifting transmission. The 2005 and up navigation systems are better...but the 2006 and 2007 are exactly the same. In 2005 they offered bluetooth so your 2004 PB you were looking at wouldn't have this.

For MOST pebble beach cars in general you have four distinct options that other SC430's don't have: Side emblems on the fender, limited production, different color combination interiors including floor mats and usually a "bonus" feature like Tumi Luggage or something. The 2004 and 2005 Pebble Beach cars as well as the 2002 Neiman Marcus offered colors that were not available on regular SC's, which is kind of cool too.

The 2005 offered the most differentiating factors over all Pebble Beach Cars. The black is a pearl color, bright pimento red interior, red engine cover, two sets of lexus floor mats, red cargo cover pull and my favorite option-black painted headlight inserts!!! For me, the 2005 Pebble Beach was the coolest most affordable special edition lexus available at the time. The 2007, being two model years newer was about $5-8k more than my car so I opted NOT to buy it, although in my opinion the white on red is the HOTTEST looking SC ever built. Then my # 2 is my car, then # 3 would have to be the neiman marcus. I'm a sucker for the red interior, though. It is VERY red. If you don't LOVE red, I wouldn't recommend this car at all. Get a regular white with camel or black.

There is no doubt that the Pebble Beach editions are worth the slightly higher prices unless you really don't like the color combinations. Couple that with CPO where they go through the car with a fine tooth comb 164 point check, replace worn out or sub standard things and then give you the piece of mind of a 3 year 100k full bumper to bumper warranty with loaner car and free cars washes to me is MUCH worth an extra $3k. Now, just two regular SC's with same mileage one CPO and one non-cpo probably should be about $1500-$2k difference in price. It costs the dealer $992 to certify a car. So in essence you are only paying about $1k for the super special edition and rare 2007!

go for the white 2007---it's a gorgeous car and will be a timeless classic forever. Hell, I may eventually get rid of my 2005 Pebble Beach for the 2007 when they come down to the $30k price.

remember 20k in miles kind of offsets the year difference in the two cars. If both were non-cpo and non-pebble beach, in fact, the 2006 might be more expensive actually. 20k miles less is like adding another 1.5 years in driving on the car!

My pricing for the two cars you have mentioned without seeing them would be:

2006 Black/Tan 28k miles NO-CPO would be $32k...try to buy for $31,500...
2007 Pebble Beach CPO 48k miles $35k-$37k....try to buy for $34,500
^^^1,, once again you have exhibited your consummate knowledge and passion for the PB !!
Old 01-30-10, 06:45 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sureteco-wanna trade your extra set of new black pebble beach mats you probably will never use for a set of new red pebble beach mats from my 2005 that I will never use?

this way we can both have a set of red and black pebble beach mats!!!

mine are red with the black pebble beach logo. Let me know!
I just asked my wife and she said I put them in the attic. I remember my thoughts were to save them so I could put a new set of mats in when I sell the car. However, I like your idea. I will try to find them and get back to you. I see you are in TX. Where? I will be down there week of the 8th. Several places.
Old 01-30-10, 10:19 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Leaning towards the Non-CPO/Non-PB 2006 model

Thanks for your input and feedback. SCDROPTOP: Excellent input and information....Thanks.

I am leaning towards the Non-CPO, 2006 model. Here is how I arrived at this:
  • 29K miles vs. 48K miles or so on the 2007 model
  • DOFU for the 2006 model is Nov 2006. DOFU for the 2007 model is also in Nov 2006

The original Lexus coverage on the 2006 still has 10 months or so left. Thus, my plan is to let my dealership do a thorough inspection for a reasonable charge.....fix whatever they find under the original warranty. Then buy an extended warranty (Lexus Platinum coverage) for 8 yrs/75K for about $1900 from Troy. I still come out ahead in money and have a car that is essentially same in the age (working age) but has 20K miles less on the clock. Probably, use the money that I save for new, regular tires. It is the less mileage that makes me lean towards the 2006. What do you think?

I like the black onyx with tan interior. My wife loved the 2005 black ES we had and never got over us trading it in for the ash blue, 2006 GX. The black SC is my way of making it up

SCDROPTOP: You make an excellent case for the 2007 PB....I would have opted for it if the mileage was in the range of 30-35K. You also make a good point about the G37 (in another thread). I like this car but the convertibles are just coming out and are just too damn expensive. INFINITY has no history with me to dole out that kind of money. May be in the future. For now, it is 2006 SC with black onyx exterior and tan interior. I hope I enjoy the ride and get to share the experience with you.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-10, 04:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Great analysis Options2k, good luck with the 06 PB, let us know how everything works out. Glad you're not in the G37 !!
Old 01-31-10, 08:45 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you absolutely love a color combination from a pebble beach edition, they're not worth the extra money in my opinion. all of the pebble beach color options are standard options in japan. they just don't sell enough here in the states to justify making the less popular options available. so they pick one color combo a year, stick a pebble beach logo on the side and send it over with a hefty premium. if you happen to love those colors, then it's probably worth more to you. my favorite colors are all standard here. silver, black and white exteriors. black interior. so personally, i'd be paying more for a car i like less.
Old 01-31-10, 08:53 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a little less HP but a faster shifting transmission.
the horsepower is actually the same for all sc430s. they just changed the method they use to estimate it. the 6-speed transmission doesn't improve overall performance (they have the same 0-60 and quarter mile times), but it does shift smoother. so it improves the ride.

Quick Reply: Pebble beach edition