SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

leaking washer reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 09:51 AM
billerbeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking washer reservoir

Hi all. I'm a new SC430 owner (2002 black/saddle) and need some advice. The windshield washer reservoir is leaking and I'm not sure which direction to approach it from (disassmble and remove from above or go in through the left front wheel well)? Anyone done this before? Thanks.
Old 01-22-10, 12:36 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen one fail... here are some of the components as they relate system.
Attached Thumbnails leaking washer reservoir-washer-components.png  
Old 01-22-10, 12:41 PM
VVTiBob

You may have to go in both directions to get to it. The diagram on page 2 of the PDF suggests this...I could not find a specific protocol for replacing the washer tank.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 washer CONPONENTS.pdf (142.1 KB, 1015 views)
Old 01-22-10, 02:28 PM
billerbeck
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys . . . time to get dirty.
Old 01-23-10, 02:09 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

hate to tell you that you'll probably need to drop the bumper if it is truly that. Could it be the actuator, or do you actually see the leak? Have you had your fluids changed recently? maybe overspill from the service? I hope it's not faulty.

good luck...never heard of one leaking either...not on any of the 30 some cars i've owned. Sorry to hear that. dont' think it will be too expensive of a fix. I checked eBay to see if there were any out there for sale but didn't see any.
Old 01-23-10, 08:46 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's leaking? My reservoir empties every two months...at first I thought it was a leak until I realized just how much fluid our cars use when we turn on the sprinklers. Don't know if you've noticed, but if your headlights are turned on and your use the washer mechanism, it also activates your headlight washer, which literally bathes your entire front in in washer fluid.
Old 01-24-10, 05:28 AM
billerbeck
Driver School Candidate

I can't swear that it's the reservoir bottle itself, but as soon as I begin adding fluid from above it starts dripping on the ground. It could be a connection, pump, etc. . . . not sure til I get in there and look. I'll be bummed if I have to drop the bumper . . . are you sure? Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-19-10, 11:23 AM
hprice
Driver School Candidate

So did you make any progress on this? I just noticed that I am apparently having the same problem. When I add fluid, it immediately starts leaking out near the passenger side headlight cleaner. PLEASE tell me that you didn't have to drop the bumper to fix yours.
Old 08-12-10, 01:20 AM
severteche
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another leaker

Any update on this difficulty. My car is doing the same, just dumps H2O when filled.
Old 09-21-19, 09:51 AM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update. Anyone Problem Solve Leaking Fluid Issue

Originally Posted by severteche
Any update on this difficulty. My car is doing the same, just dumps H2O when filled.
Update

Reviving this issue after what looks like a long time frame of nobody else posting the troubleshooting and problem that causes some of us to lose all of our windshield wiper fluid. So, to all you new owners on the Forum, what say you?

Me, I have an 04 that apparently has a somewhat huge leak somewhere in my wiper fluid system. At first I noticed the light on, added an entire gallon of fluid to the tank, tested the wipers very briefly and everything appeared to be working just fine. Nope... Today, after not having driven the car or used the windshield wipers at all, I immediately noticed that the dashboard light had come back on, and when I tried to use the wiper fluid, nothing, just like before.

So, obviously I have a somewhat large leak of the windshield wiper fluid from somewhere, unknown at this point. And surprisingly I checked under the car a few times after first adding the new gallon of fluid and noticed no wet spots under the car anywhere. Still haven't.

Has anyone since tackled the problem of troubleshooting, locating the source of their leak, and repaired whatever was necessary. Please share. Thank you. Love this forum for great "been there and done it" advice on so many things that crop up from time to time just like this issue.
Old 09-22-19, 07:57 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazor1
Update

Reviving this issue after what looks like a long time frame of nobody else posting the troubleshooting and problem that causes some of us to lose all of our windshield wiper fluid. So, to all you new owners on the Forum, what say you?

Me, I have an 04 that apparently has a somewhat huge leak somewhere in my wiper fluid system. At first I noticed the light on, added an entire gallon of fluid to the tank, tested the wipers very briefly and everything appeared to be working just fine. Nope... Today, after not having driven the car or used the windshield wipers at all, I immediately noticed that the dashboard light had come back on, and when I tried to use the wiper fluid, nothing, just like before.

So, obviously I have a somewhat large leak of the windshield wiper fluid from somewhere, unknown at this point. And surprisingly I checked under the car a few times after first adding the new gallon of fluid and noticed no wet spots under the car anywhere. Still haven't.

Has anyone since tackled the problem of troubleshooting, locating the source of their leak, and repaired whatever was necessary. Please share. Thank you. Love this forum for great "been there and done it" advice on so many things that crop up from time to time just like this issue.
Are you saying that an entire gallon of fluid is gone and you see no leak? Hard to imagine.
Old 09-22-19, 09:13 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Is it possible that it is leaking on to the undercarriage cover and then draining out of there as you drive? Start at the reservoir and make your way through the tubing to the hood and look for signs of moisture (or grime gathering as a result of the leak). Hopefully, that will lead you to the leak.
Old 09-22-19, 09:40 AM
Mazor1
Rookie

Question

Originally Posted by Harold57
Is it possible that it is leaking on to the undercarriage cover and then draining out of there as you drive? Start at the reservoir and make your way through the tubing to the hood and look for signs of moisture (or grime gathering as a result of the leak). Hopefully, that will lead you to the leak.

To iolmaster and you too Harold57, I'm gonna do a "test" of sorts today, first by putting down a large sheet or two of cardboard under then entire front of the car in order to see if I can better determine where the fluid is actually dripping from. Perhaps the wiper fluid being as it is doesn't show up on the driveway, so I'm hoping the cardboard would show wetness where the fluid is showing up. I just purchased another two jugs of windshield washer fluid and although its all gonna come out of the car quickly, this will help me determine whether or not the leak is present when the car is just sitting, or if running the car makes any difference. Thanks for both of your comments, but if it turns out there is a significant leak, I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has a step-by-step description of what parts need to come out in order to be able to see and/or repair the bottom of the washer fluid tank. Would something like that be in the service manual that I know many of you have purchased in order to work on your own cars?
Old 09-22-19, 11:48 AM
VVTiBob

With the diagram and the PDF above, as well as this parts diagram, hopefully you'll be able to make the repair. It could be a cracked reservoir, or a loose or disconnected hose or clamp. But like others have said you may need to drop the bumper cover to get to all of the components.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-22-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 03:13 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by VVTiBob

With the diagram and the PDF above, as well as this parts diagram, hopefully you'll be able to make the repair. It could be a cracked reservoir, or a loose or disconnected hose or clamp. But like others have said you may need to drop the bumper cover to get to all of the components.

Thank you for that. OK, so here is what I've learned today. I first filled up the windshield washer fluid tank with about 1.5 gallons of summer fluid and water. I put a huge sheet of cardboard under the entire front of the car, and after 3 hours, even after running the car in place for 10 minutes, Nothing. Not a drop seen underneath the car. So, I decided to go for a drive and see if
that made any difference, but sadly I didn't even make it out of the driveway.

At the end of my driveway I noticed a trail of wetness following the path of my car as I backed it out. So, I pulled forward back into the driveway and when I got out to investigate I noticed
a "pouring" (it was much more than a drip) of water coming from the Passenger side of the car, coming from the edge of the bumper. I must tell anyone reading this that my car was parked
and the 1.5 gallons of fluid were added in a spot on my driveway where the car was tilted slightly to the drivers side of the car. But now the car is on essentially flat ground and it looks like
a river of fluid has now dripped out. I aborted the drive, no need to do that any more, but surprisingly the "check windshield fluid dash light" has not yet come on.

So to all you knowledgeable fellow owners of this great car..... Obviously I have a leak, probably something at the very bottom of the reservoir itself. But why do you think, or better yet how
do you think more than a gallon of liquid managed to leak out without a single drop showing itself before I actually moved the car? And finally, most importantly, has anyone else here on the Forum taken the steps to remove all the parts that need to be removed in order to access this stupid plastic tank so that it can be replaced or repaired?

My wife had a great idea, she suggested that I just carry a can of Invisible Glass with me in the trunk and then whenever I need to clean the windshield just use that first. Great idea, don't you think? I mean, who really wants to disassemble the entire front end of the car just to be able to spritz a little bit of water on the windshield from time to time? All ideas and thoughts welcome.

Quick Reply: leaking washer reservoir