SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Power Antenna Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 07:37 AM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liquid SC, I went specifically by the factory instructions that Bob had posted and everything went smoothly with the removal and replacement of the old antenna. It just doesnt work still. Next step, order a new antenna and install. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-10, 04:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob;
Well Barry,
There is only one way to really tell and that's to take a look at the antenna. And, depending on your courage you might even tackle this as a DIY for two.

There is a service bulletin on this problem. However the most difficult part is getting the damn ornament nut off without scratching the hell out of it. Lexus has a special tool for the job that slips over the nut, catching in the four grooves. But IF you're VERY careful, a taped flathead screwdriver can do it...but one slip and you'll gouge the heck out of the quarter panel.

Here a link to one of my new favorite places to order parts. More specifically the antenna array. [URL]

I am attaching the TSIB for your review. Does take two people,
patience, and following instructions. But you can determine if its the mast or something else.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Bob,

So bummed, while in the car wash I was listening to the radio thinking, crap I'm listening to the radio. A new mast off ebay for 13$ and Bob's PDF had me up and running in 10 minutes.

FYI you can do it yourself, just feed the white cable in teeth facing back, and the outside bolt comes off by gently tapping the slit with a screwdriver and hammer counter clockwise.
Old 11-18-10, 08:17 AM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the decorative nut off no problem. My cable is broken. Part of it must still be down in the motor. Ive read a few threads on this topic and still have two questions.

whats the best way to get the rest of the cable out?
how do I access the motor wire to "steal" the down signal? I cant seem to get to the motor from the trunk. I removed the three plastic screws that hold the corner trunk piece in place, but all I can see is the drain tube. I can feel the motor, but dont want to start pulling things I cant see.
Old 11-18-10, 08:29 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking to take my antenna motor out and saw this thread and this write up. I'm interested to see if you could take any pictures of the process? Or any info on it? I actually plan on trying to replace the entire antenna with one that doesn't retract. Here's some info that may help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-problems.html

All credit goes to Habious for the following, here's his writeup from last year for an 06:
To get access to it... (this is from memory so please don't flame if I miss a minor step or two)...

1) Open trunk
2) Take out the spare tire (if you have one), the square piece of carpet and stiff backing, and the jack.
3) Pop the 3 little plastic "poppets" on each side of the little carpetted side cubby holes (on each side of the tool tray where the jack is)...remove the cubby holes (they pull out).
4) Remove the 4 plastic hand-turn "nuts" that hold the tool tray (2 on each side)...lift the tool tray out.
5) Remove the 2 front chrome tie-downs (the rear ones don't need to come out)
6) Remove the 6 plastic "poppets" from the big floor center section (the piece that has the little fuse-box access cover and the plastic cover the Navigation System)
7) Pull up and back on the big floor center section and remove it
8) Here's the hard part (and the one I'm most fuzzy about regarding the particulars), remove the various plastic "poppets" from the right side piece that covers the antenna and right-rear strut tower
9) Remove the big rubber bumper on the right side (this is on the plastic tonneu cover holder).
10) Under the big rubber bumper is a BIG phillips screw that, on my car, was an absolute PITA to get out...I think they put it in with Lock-tight or something. It's a biatch! I think I ended up resorting to putting a pair of channel-locks or vice-grips on it to break it loose
11) There are a couple of phillips screws holding the plastic tonneau cover holder...remove the plastic tonneau cover.
12) You should be able to remove the right-side cover...and gain access to the antenna

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's possible that you'll need to remove the rear cover as well but, it's pretty obvious (plastic "poppets" and the other 2 chrome tie-downs).

Simply reverse the process to reinstall. Remember, since the parts are all interconnected, you have to put them back in in the order they were removed or you'll make your life much more difficult.

TIP: When I tried to put the big-a$$ screw back in and then put the rubber bumper back on, I couldn't get it. I tried and tried. I ended up taking the screw back out, putting the rubber bumper on the screw head and just tightening the screw down as best I could with the bumper already on it. If you can get the screw on (and tight) and THEN get the rubber bumper on, cool. I couldn't.
Old 11-19-10, 12:09 PM
toxic
Driver

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Thanks Bob,

So bummed, while in the car wash I was listening to the radio thinking, crap I'm listening to the radio. A new mast off ebay for 13$ and Bob's PDF had me up and running in 10 minutes.

FYI you can do it yourself, just feed the white cable in teeth facing back, and the outside bolt comes off by gently tapping the slit with a screwdriver and hammer counter clockwise.
You actually take your ride through an AUTOMATED carwash Say it ain't so!!

TOXIC
Old 05-18-12, 01:02 PM
Starlifter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solution--move to southern California! :-)
Old 05-19-12, 01:34 PM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

I replace the mast in the wife's SC 3 times and they keep breaking within a day or two. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 05-19-12, 01:42 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

No. Could you be more specific about how it breaking?
Old 05-19-12, 02:27 PM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
No. Could you be more specific about how it breaking?
The first replacement the strip pulled out of the top of the mast. Second one broke 6-8 inches from bottom (i think, it was 3 months ago) Third one (from a different ebay vendor) is still in the car, so I don't know where it broke, but does not go up. The one that was in the car when we bought it was broken a few inches from the bottom.
I had replaced the mast in her SC400 and it still worked years later when we sold it. Also did one on my Firebird, also worked until I sold it.