SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Biggest disapointments of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 06:58 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just search SC430 and pedals and im sure it will pop up to tentoys sounds like you need a Navtool to integrate a back up camera to the stock head unit and some Hankook Ventus V12s to replace the RFTs.
Old 08-24-11, 09:27 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this thread...

I wanted to say that my biggest disappointment has been the interior technology of the car. Don't get me wrong, this car has a wow factor that cannot be ignored, but when it comes to the electronics (nav, radio, etc) and even the seats (I like the cooling seats), I'm disappointed. Other same year Lexus models (I have an 06) have much more enhanced features that one would expect from a convertible hardtop.

I love the car, but the fact that you have to 'mod' it to get what you have in 'lesser' Lexus models bugs me a bit.

On a positive note, I will say the gas mileage is surprise (at least to me).

Old 08-25-11, 05:28 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwcn98
when it comes to the electronics (nav, radio, etc) I'm disappointed. Other same year Lexus models (I have an 06) have much more enhanced features that one would expect from a convertible hardtop.
I'll also add, not only did same year Lexus models have more features, but same year cars from other manufacturers had more features.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I fully believe this is the main reason why Lexus didn't sell a lot of SCs as time went on, they didn't upgrade these things to keep it up-to-date.
Old 08-25-11, 07:35 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

2 things:

1. less than stellar sound system (my truck sounds better)
2. acceleration lag (now corrected by lexus for 6 speed, 2010s only -- how about a TSB for the rest of us?)
Old 08-25-11, 08:06 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
If you will do a search on the aluminum pedals, there are a couple of instructional threads on them, both for purchase and installation. I remember scdroptop doing one and I believe Mandy might have done the other. Huy got in on the act too, but I don't remember to what extent. You might have to broaden the search to just pedals, as I don't remember the exact subject title.
To this day, when I hop in and look at my AL pedals, I say wow! For cheap, too. Install is a bit challenging on the brake pedal, but well worth it.

Go gitr done.
Old 08-26-11, 07:07 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just minor things that I would have like to have and they are not complaints. First, lights in the steering wheel controls. I know them by heart now but I drive many different vehicles and it's nice to no-brain it. Second, AC in the seats. The car AC does a good job adjusting for top down but on a long trip leather buckets get hot in the Florida sun. Third, manual transmission option. Just so you can really drive it. I often wonder just how much more fun it would be to really test the performance and that requires a stick. Those are the main things for me.

TOXIC
Old 08-26-11, 08:46 AM
UnSub
Driver

"2. No easy performance modds, most Supras run 1000 HP, we have been largely forgotten"
Kaiser, surely you have forgotten about the light weight lug nuts
Old 08-26-11, 12:28 PM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Oughta be a charge for this info. Thanks, I have the pedals on order.
Old 08-27-11, 09:59 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

I would say these...

1. Stereo (EQ not great, blown speakers, No vol readout)
2. Runflats (switched out a month after ownership)
3. Driver Seat Angle (wish it would recline a bit more)
4. Visor (wish there was extension to block sun from side when top up)
5. Flapping back seatbelts at 80+mph (snapped in too)
6. Number of times i seem to bottom out (even w psi 37 cold)
7. Sqweak i can't find (lubed swaybars and turned rubber thingy)

Still, even with these, i LOVE driving and owning this car. Nothing beats the open road, top down.
Old 08-28-11, 06:34 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UnSub
Kaiser, surely you have forgotten about the light weight lug nuts
I think the weight of my nuts is fine.

Kball found my squeak thought it was the suspension. Turns out to be the roof. Happy hunting.
Old 08-28-11, 09:20 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Biggest disappointment is the HORRIBLE roof rattle and squeaking....tried it all but it doesnt go away....just HUGELY disappointed in this one area.
Old 08-28-11, 11:11 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
Biggest disappointment is the HORRIBLE roof rattle and squeaking....tried it all but it doesnt go away....just HUGELY disappointed in this one area.
Same here. The sc430 is just not as solid as the BMW convertibles in term of roof structure. My fix is drop the top as much as possible. It feels much more solid with the top down and no squeaks.
Old 08-28-11, 03:35 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipergts
I must be the luckiest guy around. Nothing. Quiet as a church mouse. No rattles. No squeaks. No complaints. The only annoying noise I have is that the seat has to be back so far the leather on leather squeak is my ONLY noise complaint at all.... easily remedied by a chamois between the two.

Old 08-28-11, 04:22 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I switched over to conventional tires this week and a bunch of my rattles are gone. It probably has to do with the car riding smoother. Wohoo!!!
Old 08-31-11, 03:16 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Before the moderator closes my account, be sure this is my favorite car ever owned. I even like my pie plates. I love this car, but now owning her for a while I have my list of gripes. I would buy it again in a second, paying the price of a Corolla, for a riding work of art, but still...

1. No wild body kits, I want to kit this thing into an exotic, eight years and nothing drastic.
2. No easy performance modds, most Supras run 1000 HP, we have been largely forgotten
3. No kit to change the radio, Unknown risks changing the Navi, where are the aftermarket gurus. (we are not counting a certain SC God and his carputer, but no way to imitate him.)
4. Rear Visability with the top up.
5. Great no more run flats, now all I need is a thousand bucks for a spare tire

Anyone solve my problems, problems of your own.
Hi Kaiser,

I cannot say that I am disappointed with the car; after all, it is very well built.

But if I could have been involved with the development I would have:

1. Put the 3rd brake light into the trunk bodywork rather than the goofy-looking 'add on' that it is.

2. Made the rear seatbacks so that they fold down; this would be far better for storing things as the rear seats are useless IMO.

3. Made the passenger compartment slightly larger; for me it is just a tad too small.

4. Made a coupe version for those who simply do not care for converitibles ( me, me ).

Anyway, just my thoughts . . .

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I am quite satisfied with the power that the car has.

Quick Reply: Biggest disapointments of ownership