SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Biggest disapointments of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 11:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Kaiser, please do take this as positive as possible as I am not trying to be rude, but the issue is not with the car, it is with your expectations.

If you are looking for a wide body 1000hp car with good visibility, easily removed stereo, and a spare tire, why did you purchase a SC430? The same can be said about a BMW, Benz, etc. You need to evaluate what you really want out of a car and purchase accordingly. No need to knock the car because you made a mistake in your purchase.

I can say there are more aftermarket items available for this car than many BMWs. I know, I checked PRIOR to me making my next car purchase and not much exist for a 550i which was on my list.

The SC430 is an awesome car for what it is intended to do, with a nice assortment of aftermarket items available. Not to the level of a Supra, Mustang, or Corvette, but not many would have that expectation.

You always have the option of selling it and purchasing what will meet your needs.
Old 12-23-09, 02:38 AM
omair
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Kaiser, please do take this as positive as possible as I am not trying to be rude, but the issue is not with the car, it is with your expectations.

If you are looking for a wide body 1000hp car with good visibility, easily removed stereo, and a spare tire, why did you purchase a SC430? The same can be said about a BMW, Benz, etc. You need to evaluate what you really want out of a car and purchase accordingly. No need to knock the car because you made a mistake in your purchase.

I can say there are more aftermarket items available for this car than many BMWs. I know, I checked PRIOR to me making my next car purchase and not much exist for a 550i which was on my list.

The SC430 is an awesome car for what it is intended to do, with a nice assortment of aftermarket items available. Not to the level of a Supra, Mustang, or Corvette, but not many would have that expectation.

You always have the option of selling it and purchasing what will meet your needs.
This man speaks the truth... I trust him and any judgement he makes.
Old 12-23-09, 03:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by omair
This man speaks the truth... I trust him and any judgement he makes.
^^^^2, I purchased my car for what it was designed to do, not to mod it into something else
Old 12-23-09, 04:48 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree..Sc's are in a class by themselves..nothing else like it..nothing else will do!
Katy
Old 12-23-09, 08:45 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

No offense taken. I had the pleasure of owning a Porsche which was in the shop every month, I will never do that again. I traded in my SUV for this car, which fits none of my needs, because I just hit 41, live in Florida, and never owned a convertable. I bought an LS a year ago, and have come to appreciate Lexus build quality. Our LS is the most perfect car I have ever owned.

I now have a car with plenty of power, an unmatched convertable top, and build quality far beyond anything in its class. To think that a 2 door convertable is the most dependable car you can buy is astounding (Consumer Reports).

Since this is my toy, bought purely to put a smile on my face, I don't mind throwing some money at her, and go places Lexus did not. I need a connection for my Iphone, bluetooth, a better navigation system, and there are many aftermarket solutions but I am frustrated by the difficulty in doing this upgrade. I am not trying to install ten video screens, or 200 speakers, I just want a nice modern set up, with a good 3D gps, and some internet connectivity. I am even willling to lose the tape deck.

Before I bought this my plan was to buy an MR2, and convert it with a kit to a super exotic. Problem was, it was still an MR2. My 41 year old butt likes my SC, which I drove from Miami to DC, and could still walk.

As many of you do not get me, I read posts that I don't get, but of course I respect the opinions of all, we are all having fun. Updating the tail lights, 20 inch rims, side skirts and a front air dam, are things I would not do, not much bang for my buck. The car is already rare, large wheels take away from the ride, and to be honest, I can barely tell the difference from the body kits on ebay and stock.

If I am going to add a body kit, I want it to look like this when I am done.

Otherwise, stock is fine. So I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought an SC. A car I can live with as a daily driver, without spending more time with my mechanic than my wife. Now I just want to make it perfect for me. Happy Holidays all...

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 12-23-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-23-09, 08:54 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
^^^^2, I purchased my car for what it was designed to do, not to mod it into something else

I purchased my car for what I may be able to mod it into. I will not call this a donor car, but you get it.. read this...
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...430/index.html

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 12-23-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 05:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Gentlemen Start your rides and go where the road takes you. Could not get a better looking ride.
Old 03-04-10, 05:19 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

mrblister where did you get the aluminum pedals from? any info would be helpful
Old 03-04-10, 11:28 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
No offense taken. I had the pleasure of owning a Porsche which was in the shop every month, I will never do that again. I traded in my SUV for this car, which fits none of my needs, because I just hit 41, live in Florida, and never owned a convertable. I bought an LS a year ago, and have come to appreciate Lexus build quality. Our LS is the most perfect car I have ever owned.

I now have a car with plenty of power, an unmatched convertable top, and build quality far beyond anything in its class. To think that a 2 door convertable is the most dependable car you can buy is astounding (Consumer Reports).

Since this is my toy, bought purely to put a smile on my face, I don't mind throwing some money at her, and go places Lexus did not. I need a connection for my Iphone, bluetooth, a better navigation system, and there are many aftermarket solutions but I am frustrated by the difficulty in doing this upgrade. I am not trying to install ten video screens, or 200 speakers, I just want a nice modern set up, with a good 3D gps, and some internet connectivity. I am even willling to lose the tape deck.

Before I bought this my plan was to buy an MR2, and convert it with a kit to a super exotic. Problem was, it was still an MR2. My 41 year old butt likes my SC, which I drove from Miami to DC, and could still walk.

As many of you do not get me, I read posts that I don't get, but of course I respect the opinions of all, we are all having fun. Updating the tail lights, 20 inch rims, side skirts and a front air dam, are things I would not do, not much bang for my buck. The car is already rare, large wheels take away from the ride, and to be honest, I can barely tell the difference from the body kits on ebay and stock.

If I am going to add a body kit, I want it to look like this when I am done.

Otherwise, stock is fine. So I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought an SC. A car I can live with as a daily driver, without spending more time with my mechanic than my wife. Now I just want to make it perfect for me. Happy Holidays all...
Good enough?
Attached Thumbnails Biggest disapointments of ownership-p211.jpg   Biggest disapointments of ownership-job_design_sc430.jpg   Biggest disapointments of ownership-lexus-sc-430-job-design.jpg  
Old 03-04-10, 11:30 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one more pic..............
Attached Thumbnails Biggest disapointments of ownership-1161615113-10.jpg  
Old 08-24-11, 07:13 AM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Where do you get the aluminum sc pedals? Does it replace the whole pedal or just a slip on cover?
Another issue, I have added the Blitz throttle control and have the exaggerated response to the amount of pedal movement but there is still a lag time before the acceleration takes place. You can even hear the engine run up with no response a moment before the car accelerates. Can this be corrected?

I also feel a intermittent "surging" of the car when traveling at a constant speed. Is this normal?

Also does anyone know where you can buy the rear seat cover? I appreciate the help this sight is tremendous.
Old 08-24-11, 10:20 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If you will do a search on the aluminum pedals, there are a couple of instructional threads on them, both for purchase and installation. I remember scdroptop doing one and I believe Mandyfig might have done the other. Huy got in on the act too, but I don't remember to what extent. You might have to broaden the search to just pedals, as I don't remember the exact subject title.

Last edited by Harold57; 08-25-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-24-11, 10:32 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aluminum pedals can be bought on ebay. Here's the install/main thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ed-w-pics.html
Old 08-24-11, 01:05 PM
tentoys
Rookie

my wife likes 2 seat convertibles so she started with and MR-2. Too small and no power. Went to a Solara convertible(not two seat.) Terrible rear visibility and no power. Then to a mercedes SLK. Very quick and fun to drive but in the shop all the time. Now the SC 430, in practicality, a 2-seater. So far the only problem is the driver's seat heater has gone out. I didn't care for the cushy handling so installed Megan EZ's. Light years better.
I wouldn't have a convertible for myself on a bet (I drive a Tacoma and a 99 Land Cruiser) but admit I love driving the car. I guess I fit in in since I'm a baby boomer but it really turns heads with all ages, especially with the top down. My wife is quite a bit younger and she doesn't feel it is dated. However, she did like the SLK better because, surprisingly, she liked the stick shift. My only real complaint is, no back-up camera. Can't imagine why lexus didn't put one in such an expensive car. Christ, my tacoma has one. Also, why the run-flats? Car will drive beautifully when they finally wear out and I replace with conventional.
I tried lowering it but it bottomed out too easily. I don't like to have to pamper a car to drive it, and wouldn't dare let her drive it like that, so I took it back up.
Old 08-24-11, 01:54 PM
ALBINO
Rookie

Originally Posted by redliner8
Aluminum pedals can be bought on ebay. Here's the install/main thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ed-w-pics.html
Thank you for the info.... but where can you buy them??? Where on Ebay? Can someone post a current link?

Quick Reply: Biggest disapointments of ownership