SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vais SL2 IPod: Getting Done Right Now, Nav 9.1 Update: Done

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 08:51 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't like the whole fanny pack on the side of the elegant sc dash! Just my opinion I think it degrades the interior- I like the hidden stuff.

My cord come out of the bottom of my console. You can not see a thing! That's why I have an old nano plugged in forever and use my iPhone for text Internet email etc etc... I am in outside sales too so I need two devices.
Old 11-06-09, 08:59 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Its actually a very well made mount . Its hollow and you can hide your wires inside. My interior is red so this unit would stick out like a sore thumb. I thought of maybe using it for my blitz controller or i phone but I decided I wanted my car to appear totaly stock inside.

Buddy
Old 11-06-09, 10:01 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I don't like the whole fanny pack on the side of the elegant sc dash! Just my opinion I think it degrades the interior- I like the hidden stuff.

My cord come out of the bottom of my console. You can not see a thing! That's why I have an old nano plugged in forever and use my iPhone for text Internet email etc etc... I am in outside sales too so I need two devices.
i posted that more for bcisco513. i wouldn't put black on red. but black on black should blend in. it's supposed to match OEM leather and stitching, so we'll see.

the center console wouldn't work for me. i like to skip past songs while i drive, especially on long road trips. i would have gone that direction with a 2006+ with full integration. but with the older models, it's either mount your ipod somewhere, or do a remote. and personally i'd rather just mount the ipod than mess with a remote. i may also install wiring to use my phone with pandora. i ordered a universal cradle. so i could just drop in either my phone or ipod depending on which i'd rather listen to.

also, that's probably not the best picture. it looks like they went out of their way to make it stand out. the dimensions aren't much larger than my ipod. so i doubt it'll look bulky when it's all said and done. i'll take some pics after it's installed if anyone is interested.
Old 11-07-09, 08:00 AM
jgriffter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Scdroptop

You made my day! I have the Vaas unit as well and never knew you could bypass the "i agree" screen. Tried your directions and it works like a champ! No more pushing the" i agree" button!

Thanks,

John
Old 11-07-09, 09:17 AM
scdroptop

YEAH!!! ^^^ glad this post is providing some insight on if you can see text or not and the bypass screen. That was my silver lining in the cloud that day when I found out we got no text on the SC with the Vais unit.

Another little tip I am finding out is that if you go to your ipods EQ (equalizer) and turn off the EQ altogether and put your bass, treble and mids at 3...you will get the BEST sound IMHO. Any higher bass or with the EQ on, and the bass is too much for the ML speakers. Between the built in amp on the Ipod and the ML system, it's overkill.
Old 11-11-09, 09:42 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

I got the SL2i-UP model. No SAT. Just iPod. Works great with my 3G and 3GS, tried an old school nano from three years ago and it works great with that too!

Okay, here it is...

With your Vais Plugged in, you hit the SCAN button really fast eight exact times in a row then immediately touch the REPEAT button and you will hear a beep. Next time you start you car (and every time after this) the "I Accept" Screen comes on and then within five seconds you hear a light beep and it automatically goes off.

I did it with the Nav screen on the welcome screen...not sure if it matters.

I read this from the SL2i-UP manual. I followed it and it worked great!

The tech didn't even know how to do it! LOL

Everyone that has a VAIS unit should try this. I read that this works on a lot of units that I researched.
hey SCdroptop, I did try this and maybe I am doing something wrong, I hit the scan button 8 times fast and then hit the repeat button (station button 5 according to my owners manual) I have held it , just pushed it, I do hear a quick beep but, still doesn't work? does the ipod have to be connected? or the car running, or ?? what am I missing ?? thanks Bill
Old 11-11-09, 09:52 AM
scdroptop

I would recommend this...

get out of safe mode (hit scan 8 times)

Turn car off. Then turn it on with ipod and everything plugged in as normal. Don't hit the accept screen, leave it on.

Then do safe mode (scan 8 times) then the repeat button immediately after that (hold it down and wait for the long beep) and you should be good. Turn off the car start it up again. The accept screen will automatically accept after five seconds. Sometimes it's three seconds...i've timed it!

Don't forget to get back out of safe mode when you are done.

Try this again this way and see if it works.
Old 11-11-09, 10:57 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend this...

get out of safe mode (hit scan 8 times)

Turn car off. Then turn it on with ipod and everything plugged in as normal. Don't hit the accept screen, leave it on.

Then do safe mode (scan 8 times) then the repeat button immediately after that (hold it down and wait for the long beep) and you should be good. Turn off the car start it up again. The accept screen will automatically accept after five seconds. Sometimes it's three seconds...i've timed it!

Don't forget to get back out of safe mode when you are done.

Try this again this way and see if it works.
Thanks SC will try that later tonight, the repeat button IS the #5 station button correct??? then to get out of safe mode its 8 times on the scan button and nothing else? I have been looking thru the Nav system manual trying to learn all the things it can do, this sytem is WAY more complex than my infiniti G35 was !
Old 11-11-09, 04:56 PM
scdroptop

Should be. It was on my 2002 and 2005. Just look above it on LED. LIke a lot of programming things, sequence is important. Just make sure you don't make any other moves like turn the car off, or accept the nav instructions or anything. Try it exactly how I just posted. I did mine again today and it worked (just making sure I was giving you the right directions). Let me know. PM me if you are having troubles I'll be glad to help
Old 11-11-09, 06:21 PM
jgriffter
Driver School Candidate

I tried scdroptop's instructions to get the automatic bypass of the "I agree" nav button with the vais unit. Worked fine but I did have to do one more thing - following his instructions I got the beeps and all but I found I was still in safe mode. I pushed the scan button quickly 8 times and got out of safe mode and it then worked fine. Without doing this, I got the beeps but my radio appeared frozen sort of - until I then exited safe mode by pressing the scan button again 8 times.

Maybe that will help if you are still having problems.
Old 11-11-09, 08:31 PM
scdroptop

jgriffter-thanks! Very important reminder. I'm hoping everyone will fall in love all over again with their Vais units as they discover this nice benefit! I love it...
Old 11-12-09, 01:02 PM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SC it did work for me after trying it again, don't know what I did wrong but, its working now ...thanks again ! Bill
Old 11-14-09, 07:03 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

hey SCdroptop, I just got my new ipod 32gb touch and I noticed when I plug it in it reads 'device does not support charging' does yours charge your pod? it states in the manual that this unit does charge the pod could mine be defective? btw mine is the SL2i unit ...
Old 11-14-09, 07:15 AM
scdroptop

mine charges just fine after that message...my aftermarket AXXESS unit also did this in my 2003 FX35 I had. Test it though today so just in case you can take it back...you should be fine though
Old 11-14-09, 07:30 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

mine charges just fine after that message...my aftermarket AXXESS unit also did this in my 2003 FX35 I had. Test it though today so just in case you can take it back...you should be fine though
does your charge icon flash? mine doesn't so I gotta assume it isn't charging. I called the guy that installed it (rich's cartunes Watertown Ma) and now he tells me I "may" need some kind of adapter for another $45 so it can charge... I got to be honest with you I am starting to think for all the money spent and the hassle this has become, if I could do it agian....I wouldn't do it again !

Quick Reply: Vais SL2 IPod: Getting Done Right Now, Nav 9.1 Update: Done