SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vais SL2 IPod: Getting Done Right Now, Nav 9.1 Update: Done

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 06:43 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally heard back from the installer, he says I will get text ?? I am having the install done on the 6th of Nov will know after that.... btw he gave me a price of 350-410 installed, that sounds like a fair price.
Old 10-30-09, 07:36 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Be sure to post your actual results. I also spoke to Vais on a 2008 SC and was told No Text for U.

Originally Posted by bcisco513
I finally heard back from the installer, he says I will get text ?? I am having the install done on the 6th of Nov will know after that.... btw he gave me a price of 350-410 installed, that sounds like a fair price.
Old 10-30-09, 08:37 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$600 to use an Ipod in a car seems a little nuts.
Old 10-31-09, 09:30 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Bad news and good news....

No text for my 2005. The installer admitted that there is some erroneous info out there as well as so many different combos of units that even vais folks tell them two different things a lot of the time!!

I sm going to continue to talk to vais and see if maybe the installer missed something.

Good news- the sound is great, easy to use, and I got a bonus--- I permanently bypass the nav welcome screen!!!! That excites me!

They installed right behind the heated seat module. We tried programming in md changer and cd changer modes and no luck on the text. He said sc's are just way behind on tech...duh..we knew that! The install job was done very clean but I had to reprogram my seats by pushing them all the way front and back as well as lean front and back till I was able to do. Thanks to cl members for teaching me that!!!

Next mod: 2006 tails!!!
Old 10-31-09, 10:31 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I got a bonus--- I permanently bypass the nav welcome screen!!!!
Have you seen this work? My VML had it in the manual but didn't actually do it. I figured this is because there isn't any audio/nav connection in the SC so I'm not sure how this would work.
Old 10-31-09, 10:34 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Bad news and good news....
No text for my 2005.
You just mean iPod, right? You didn't get the Vais unit with satellite radio.

I permanently bypass the nav welcome screen!!!! That excites me!
You don't have to deal with the "I AGREE" screen? Wow, how did that happen? I didn't think that was possible.
Old 10-31-09, 11:07 AM
scdroptop

I got the SL2i-UP model. No SAT. Just iPod. Works great with my 3G and 3GS, tried an old school nano from three years ago and it works great with that too!

Okay, here it is...

With your Vais Plugged in, you hit the SCAN button really fast eight exact times in a row then immediately touch the REPEAT button and you will hear a beep. Next time you start you car (and every time after this) the "I Accept" Screen comes on and then within five seconds you hear a light beep and it automatically goes off.

I did it with the Nav screen on the welcome screen...not sure if it matters.

I read this from the SL2i-UP manual. I followed it and it worked great!

The tech didn't even know how to do it! LOL

Everyone that has a VAIS unit should try this. I read that this works on a lot of units that I researched.
Old 11-04-09, 02:23 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$292 for the part with CL Discount (I know, I know...see my reasons below) and the entire thing is being installed for $595 with a one year warranty.
that sounds extremely high to me. i just moved to kc and called the local lexus dealer for a quote. they told me it would take half an hour and cost $50 for labor. they said they do them all the time. so $300 for labor is pretty outrageous.
Old 11-04-09, 05:14 PM
scdroptop

I know, I know. If you can get a VAIS unit installed for $50 + the part then do it tomorrow Jason!!! I checked around Dallas and that was a "fair" price believe it or not. Integrated Solutions, who sells a TON of Vais and Axxess and other ipod units for all Japanese cars did my other cars and they are on a 3 month waiting list. They said they would have charged about $200 for install...but it would be with no loaner car, a guy who may or may not have worked on a SC before and someone would have had to follow me...blah blah blah, you know?

It was worth every penny to ME...you can't put a price tag on f'ing up your rare red leather interior and rare black birdseye maple wood! If it was my Red/ecru and my other installers were available that did my other cars...it would have been very different for me. Believe it or not, their price was actually close to $700 for the install total...I had to call Park Place Lexus and get their price and then Sewell matched it!

I know "value" is in the eyes of the beholder. That's why I beat down the wheel and tire people on price as much as I can...got a great car deal, etc. Some things to me are worth the trouble and the money. I saw how the stereo and a/c nav unit comes out and I wanted no part in messing up that rare interior. In my mind I have some Nordstrom items I buy and some Wal-Mart items I buy as far as markup goes.

For instance, I just bought a set of four brand new Pebble Beach Red Floor Mats that you can't even order anymore that retail for $138 (if you COULD order them) for $50 shipped to my door. It's like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets "even" on stuff...one situation he looses something, the next situation he gains something. LOL
Old 11-04-09, 05:31 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know, I know. If you can get a VAIS unit installed for $50 + the part then do it tomorrow Jason!!! I checked around Dallas and that was a "fair" price believe it or not. Integrated Solutions, who sells a TON of Vais and Axxess and other ipod units for all Japanese cars did my other cars and they are on a 3 month waiting list. They said they would have charged about $200 for install...but it would be with no loaner car, a guy who may or may not have worked on a SC before and someone would have had to follow me...blah blah blah, you know?

It was worth every penny to ME...you can't put a price tag on f'ing up your rare red leather interior and rare black birdseye maple wood! If it was my Red/ecru and my other installers were available that did my other cars...it would have been very different for me. Believe it or not, their price was actually close to $700 for the install total...I had to call Park Place Lexus and get their price and then Sewell matched it!

I know "value" is in the eyes of the beholder. That's why I beat down the wheel and tire people on price as much as I can...got a great car deal, etc. Some things to me are worth the trouble and the money. I saw how the stereo and a/c nav unit comes out and I wanted no part in messing up that rare interior. In my mind I have some Nordstrom items I buy and some Wal-Mart items I buy as far as markup goes.

For instance, I just bought a set of four brand new Pebble Beach Red Floor Mats that you can't even order anymore that retail for $138 (if you COULD order them) for $50 shipped to my door. It's like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets "even" on stuff...one situation he looses something, the next situation he gains something. LOL
You made a good call my friend, I know how **** you are about Ebony. If you screwed up the wood or leather they would have to medicate you. Let the pros do it even if you paid a little more. Good Luck
Old 11-04-09, 08:04 PM
Yes

if that was your only option, i guess you have to do what you have to do. but i can't imagine it took them 3 hours to install it. or 4 by their original quote.
Old 11-05-09, 12:11 PM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrain
Be sure to post your actual results. I also spoke to Vais on a 2008 SC and was told No Text for U.
Well just got my car back and NO you do not get any text on my 06 it ended up costing 413.30 total I had the installer put the connection thru the ash tray so I can hide the wire then open the ash tray and pull it back out, they tried to sell me a mount but, I just stick it (ipod)in the cup holder and it works for me. hope this helps ...
Old 11-05-09, 03:10 PM
scdroptop

Nice! You got yours cheaper than mine. Just curious---why didn't you install in the middle console? The cord is concealed there too...

I just use an old school 8GB nano and keep it permanently plugged in all the time with my favorite 3,000 songs of all time!!

If I want to plug in my iphone 3G with internet radio (Pandora, Slacker, AOL/Yahoo), then I just do that. Either way it's concealed.

Does you ash door shut all the way? Send pics if you can...that sounds kinda cool
Old 11-06-09, 06:18 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Nice! You got yours cheaper than mine. Just curious---why didn't you install in the middle console? The cord is concealed there too...

I just use an old school 8GB nano and keep it permanently plugged in all the time with my favorite 3,000 songs of all time!!

If I want to plug in my iphone 3G with internet radio (Pandora, Slacker, AOL/Yahoo), then I just do that. Either way it's concealed.

Does you ash door shut all the way? Send pics if you can...that sounds kinda cool
I didn't want to leave it in the car at all times as the Wi-Fi is really something I use as a realtor checkin my emails at coffee shops and so forth, also if there is no text and I am always scrollin my artist lists, seems I make a play list and always scroll anyways ... BTW where in the console does your exit? did you put it up thru the bottom? and if so can you close the lid (if you want to keep the pod on the outside of the console)
Old 11-06-09, 06:42 AM
Yes

if you're looking for a place to mount your ipod, you might consider this.

i just ordered one yesterday, along with an ipod cradle. i didn't want to leave the ipod just laying out. but i also wanted easy access to change songs while driving.

Quick Reply: Vais SL2 IPod: Getting Done Right Now, Nav 9.1 Update: Done