SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Second thoughts about buying a SC430

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 08:46 AM
compgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Second thoughts about buying a SC430

I first saw the SC430 about two years ago at a LEXUS Test Track Event. My immediate reaction was to buy one as soon as they became available. When they did, I had second thoughts as to whether to buy one during the first production models. I am now reconsidering buying one. However, I have read almost all the threads in this forum and am having second thoughts as to buying one at all. I have owned a SC300 and didn't have any problems. However, the SC430 does - Case in point-DropTop430 thread and his list of problems. How could a company like LEXUS offer vehicles with so many issues? Evidently, they cannot even properly design the rear bushings. If I am going to spend $60,000+ for a car, it should be mechanically pretty sound. I need some good input as to whether the "car" outweighs the problems and if so, why. It should not spend more time at the LEXUS dealer than in one's garage. .
Old 04-30-02, 08:58 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I for one have had no problems at all (knock-on-wood) I understand that a car with a good sound sytem might rattle every now and then. The clicking, yeah I hear it on occassion. Im sorry but its not worth my time and or anger taking the car in and getting a rattle fixed. I know its a $60+ car and all, but how bout if it were a a $20 camry? Would you be worrying about a rattle so much. Listen, if the car were blowing engine parts at regular intervals and the wheels were falling off id say thats a problem. However a rattle from having the bass turned up is in my opinion not a problem, now if the rattle causes the steering wheel to fall off....thats a different story. Not to be stereotypical, but the people buying these cars are people with money...sometimes that is a bad thing, people expect too much out of the car. If you gave this car to someone with no money, damn they probably crap their pants, even if the car drove sideways....im sure you would never hear them complain. Man I know people who buy Ferraris that send that car into the shop all the time. All cars have their pros and cons, no matter the vehicle. Overall though the car is an amazing piece of art. I would strongly recommend getting one, especially now that spring and summer are here!!!
Old 04-30-02, 10:54 AM
Static911

Yes, it is good to share your good points and bad points of a car. But on an industrial whole, statistically, Lexus makes reliable vehicles. But everytime you purchase a car, even from BMW or MB, you take a chance.

Yes, in any car, there are always the exceptions.

IE: My brother's friend's cousin's SC430 always has problems.

OR

My dad's BMW never has problems.

But shop around before you decide to purchase a vehicle. Go to other boards and see what they have to say about MB and BMW.

Good luck.

Ethan
Old 04-30-02, 11:50 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus430,

Did you not read Droptops post ? Seems like a hell of a lot more than a rattle...........wood doors scratching, tire pressure light, ROOF WOULD NOT CLOSE, Tweeter fell out, NEW STEREO !

Seems to me like the guy has a right to be pissed.

I do agree that his problems are the exception rather than the rule considering it's a Lexus that he's talking about. If it were a Volvo, Mercedes, BMW or a Porsche........well that's another story.
Old 04-30-02, 12:13 PM
Static911

Well, as for Droptop430, I hope he got his problem cleared up with Customer Service.

Ethan
Old 04-30-02, 12:22 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

I took delivery of my SC on 4/5/02. Now I know I'm only coming up on 1 month with the car, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to get this car. All of the problems I've been hearing I believe are from people with earlier versions of the car. I think Lexus may have worked out a lot of the problems (bushings, wood rattle, etc...) that the earlier models suffered from. Like Ethan said, you take a chance on ANY vehicle you purchase...even a Lexus SC430, but overall the quality of the SC and all Lexus vehicles are top notch. I do believe Droptop's scenario is a very unique and unfortunate situation, but don't let that one or a few unique circumstances deter you from buying this fabulous vehicle.
Old 04-30-02, 02:09 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Larry, I understand his problems and that really sucks. It is probably that he has gotten stuck with a less then acceptable car. My point was that some people are so critical of cars they will find anything to be pissed off about. I am sure his gripes are well justified, however basing your opinion on one persons car is ridiculous. But I do tend to see a large group of people complaining about rattling when the bass is turned up and the stereo is on loud. Like that one guy who kept taking his car back to have it fixed, im sure they got so tired of him and im sure he was complaining about something so minimal there was no way to satisfy him. IMHO there are many bigger and more serious problems in this world than that. Furthermore, I love the car for what it is....if there is a rattle I am the first to notice it, but I dont get mad about it or send the car back to the dealer...what I probably do is bang it with my hand.

It also seems that when person says this and that and than everyone in this forum goes ohhh yeah, mine does that too...must be a defect. i.e the suspension. Finally, all I am saying is enjoy the car as much as possible people, dont let the little things gets you down and make owning the car a miserable experience. If you have a serious gripe contact Lexus. There are so many things worse than a rattle that can happen to your car, look at the Mercedes ML's.

Droptop I would seriously contact Lexus and talk to them about this problem, it is clearly not the norm and perhaps there is something they can do about it.
Old 04-30-02, 02:29 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, DropTop's problems are not unique. I'm having the same rear suspension problems, and they have not been cleared up by Lexus Customer Service. It's a beautiful car, but I would at least wait until 2003.

Last edited by joeyb; 04-30-02 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 07:00 PM
TXSC430
Driver School Candidate

I've had my car for about 2 months, zero complaints, could not be more satisfied with the car or the Lexus experience.
I agree with the other posts, there will always be some percentage of any equipment that has a problem, I think if there was a poll then most people who own the car would come back with very few complaints.
What's most appealing about this board is getting information about others experiences, so the problems and questions naturally going to get the most posts.
Old 04-30-02, 08:04 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, time for my $0.02M...

I just got my car back from a post-5000-mile fix of the left rear decklid hinge. I also have posted some other concerns.

Fortunately, they've all been addressed. I spoke with the service technician at length today, and he has been personally surprised at the FEW number of issues the cars have had, and I am quite satisfied that he is a very thorough and highly qualified tech.

See my "Happiness Is..." post, and I'll give you the details,
and some more info that may be pertinent to this thread.

Most important to this thread is that, to me, the Club Lexus SC430 forum addresses issues that owners have had with a FIRST YEAR model. However, this does not detract from Lexus' attention to quality, resolving every issue.

This forum has helped me identify with others' issues, get more informaton, and have them addressed by my dealer. An informed consumer is truly wise, and I am all the wiser thanks to Club Lexus.

compgal, I respect your concerns. You could definitely go for a 2003 model, which I'm certain addresses some of the issues we've had. This is true for all vehicles. But I felt quite assured after talking to the tech today that Lexus has produced a quality vehicle that even surprised him.
Old 05-01-02, 06:16 AM
DropTop430
Driver

Seems that my post about my problems with my SC430 has garnered a lot of interest. I will tell you this. All of my complaints/concerns that I listed were legitimate problems.

As far as taking my comments with a grain of salt. I clearly outlined that I was a very picky when it comes to my cars.

I wasn't saying that its a bad car in any way shape or form. I LOVE the car and its a joy to drive. I just thought it was worth listing the problems that I have had with my car. That's all,

The purpose of my post was not to speak badly about the car just relay my experiences of ownership to date.

Last edited by DropTop430; 05-01-02 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-01-02, 06:20 AM
DropTop430
Driver

Default genearch

I read in a previous post that you have yet to ever have a rattle or unwanted noise in your SC.

In reading your above post where you indicated that I was the exception rather than the rule due to the long list of problems I have had with my car. I would conclude that you would be the exception, you appear to have a very tight trouble free car, even with the modifications that you have done. Congrats...Lets hope I have worked out all of the kinks....

Last edited by DropTop430; 05-01-02 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-01-02, 07:09 AM
therocker
Rookie

The bottom line is that this car is exceptional. Many cars are plagued with first year production problems, however the problems many SC 430 owners should have been corrected before the cars entered production. The harsh ride with the run flats is unacceptable. The bushings should have been correct in the first place. However, Lexus has improved the ride a great deal with the new bushings. Various rattles should also have been remedied beforehand. Despite these problems this car rocks and none of those problems change that. As for Droptop's major problems, I sympathize with him, but those problems are not typical of this car. Droptop should be given a new SC and an apology!
Old 05-01-02, 11:48 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default my viewpoint

I got my car Oct 1 2001. (production date listed as 8/2001) I now have 2800 miles on it...

I realize this isn't a whole lot yet BUT I have had ZERO problems with the car.

I don't have any issues with 'bushings' and am perfectly happy with my ride despite the runflats.

I don't know about other Lexus models to compare to as this is my first Lexus car.

My SC430 is wonderful and I love it every time I get in to drive and am so happy to have it.

I formerly had BMW, Porsche, Infiniti, VW, Dodge, Toyota (to name a few)...

...and I just don't comprehend the complaints about the harsh ride --- my guess is that the complainers would really hate the ride in any BMW or Porshe because they ride much stiffer than my SC430 (and handle better too -- but they are a different type of car anyway)...

....so I guess it all depends on what your expectations are.

..ALSO, it seems many here are NOT former convertible owners... I get back into other convertible's now and crave my SC430 -- it has me pretty spoiled... not as much wind noise or wind in my face as most other convertible cars...

...and these complaints about vibration with the speakers/stereo?!?
What do you expect when you blast the volume? duh!!!
Old 05-01-02, 12:09 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Well said Ceboyd. I have 0 problems and 0 complaints about the car. Only the seatbelt flapping in the wind was a problem, but that was easily remedied. The suspension...my god my Supra used to just bounce of the ground when it hit a bump.

Like I said before I think Droptop has some concerns especially considering the top broke. But I bet the majority of the people in this forum would not even know there was a problem with the suspension in the first place. It seems after reading all these posts they go out into their car and all of a sudden find something they were immune to prior to being educated. This is not to say you shouldnt be well informed, but enjoy the car. I dont recall reading any posts about engine failures or transmissions or major recall things, like when you see a Ford expedition got recalled because the tires fall off. It is truly an exceptional car.

Quick Reply: Second thoughts about buying a SC430